icon

Subs w/magnet out, Reverse Polarity?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
MBZ oe 
Silver - Posts: 385
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2004 at 7:21 PM / IP Logged  

When you mount subs with the magnet outside box, do you reverse the speaker wires? Or using the phase output reverse in head unit is the same thing as switching speaker wire polarity, right?

boom, boom, boom boom....
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2004 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  
thats only if u have multiple speakers with only like 1 facing in and 1 facing out that you have to reverse the polarity on the sub. If both are facing the same direction is shouldn't make a difference.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
ANeonRider 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2004 at 8:19 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, the deck output reverse is the same as reverse polarity. And xtreamcc is very correct.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2004 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  

xtreamcc wrote:
If both are facing the same direction is shouldn't make a difference.

You still need to reverse the polarity in any situation where the sub is in reverse, , never rely on the deck to do the phase reversal, ,  what if you disconnect your battery and it resets, , then your subs blow??    You must reverse the wire's at the amp.

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
ANeonRider 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2004 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  
I thought that reversing polarity was only to correct phase issues. Hmm
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2004 at 10:05 PM / IP Logged  
it is, I'm not sure wtf ur talk'n bout here Alpine. I've hooked tonz of setups with 2 subs in reverse without reversing polarity on any of the subs w/o any bad effects. Plus I dont think u can blow a sub by just reversing the polarity cuz all ur doing is flowing electicity in a different direction. Please elaborate as to how a sub can be blow'n by reverseing polarity.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2004 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged  

Basically, when you hook up a sub normally mounted into a box, and wire it normally  it sounds great, , the signals are amplified with the intention to fire outwards away from the sub, , but if you reverse the polarity and keep the sub normally mounted, , then the signal is sent to the back of the sub, , meaning the sub is fireing backwards, INTO the box.  Usually the sub compresses the air outside of the box, , but if you have it wired wrong, you will have the pressure inside the box, ,the sub will struggle, and over heat.  The bass will be noticeably quieter, ,and you will be able to hear a humming.

So basically it all comes down to what way the sub moves to make its frequencie, ,+ to+ the sub moves outwards, , + to -  the sub moves inwards.

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
MBZ oe 
Silver - Posts: 385
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2004 at 1:44 PM / IP Logged  

I was just having fun/experimenting while I am overhauling my trunk/system, so I mounted my 8000's upside down on my new enclosure to see what it sounded like. SO, I will switch the wires and adjust my phase output back to normal as suggested.

BTW, it sounds lovely that way.

>ALPINEGUY Wrote: Usually the sub compresses the air outside of the box, , but if you have it wired wrong, you will have >the pressure inside the box, ,the sub will struggle, and over heat. 

I always thought that when a sub hit, it was moving inward, pressurizing the inside of box. So it's actually moving outward and pressurizing the outside air?

boom, boom, boom boom....
ANeonRider 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2004 at 1:50 PM / IP Logged  
Sound is AC, therefore the sub goes in and out. I still do not see your logic AlpineGuy.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2004 at 2:11 PM / IP Logged  
Phase reversal by itself cannot "blow" a loudspeaker.  It absolutely does not matter to the basic fucntion of a loudspeaker which terminal is "+" and which is "-" as the signal is, as indicated above, AC.  They are only so-indicated for ease of connecting uniform phase in all speakers in a system.  The logic that the loudspeaker somehow "fires" into out out of the enclosure is faulty.
Support the12volt.com
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic