icon

2004 F150 stereo installation

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
andyknox 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2004 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  

I will be collecting my new F150 Supercab from Liverpool docks in the UK in a couple of weeks but I'm eager to have all the audio kit ready to install as soon as it arrives. I'm therefore wondering if someone can help me out with a few questions:

Does the 2004 F150 take 5x7 speakers in both the front and rear doors? Is there a good space to put a component tweeter in the front doors? I was hoping to use JL Audio XR570-CSi components in the front and XR570-CXi coaxials in the rear.

Is there a useful place to hide an amp away? I have a 4 channel Sony amp that I'd like to use but it's quite large. I may well buy something smaller and better if I it turns out to be difficult finding a space for the Sony.

Ultimately I plan to have a PC in the truck but that will have to wait until the new Xenarc fully motorized, in-dash 7” touchscreen VGA monitor is finally released later this year: http://www.xenarc.com/news/news-011904.html Meanwhile I will fit a regular single-DIN head unit. Has anyone tried to fit two single-DIN head units into one Double-DIN mounting hole? I'll need to be able to do this to have both the Audio controller and the PC screen mounted in the dash simultaneously.

Many thanks  

raydawg357 
Silver - Posts: 769
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2004 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  
Your truck actually takes 6x8 all the way around.  Depending on the size of your amp, you can mount it under the drivers or pass seat.  And yes you can fit double-din setup but it will require some custom work to hold it in place.  The aftermarket kits available drops your opening down to a din and a half.  A double din will work with a lot  of back strap.
Do it right the first time
andyknox 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2004 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  

I guess that the 6x8/5x7 specification of some speakers means that they're actually 5x7s but supplied with a mounting plate to allow them to fit 6x8 holes? I wonder whether I'd be better off finding some 6x8s to fit rather than compromising by using 5x7s Do you have any suggestions - bearing in mind that I like the sound of the JL Audio units?

From your reply I guess that there are no good spaces to fit tweeters - under the door grilles.

Do you know where the factory 'audiophile' amp is usually mounted? I thought that might make a good mounting location but maybe theire 'premium' amp is rather small!

Thanks for your help.

raydawg357 
Silver - Posts: 769
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2004 at 11:40 AM / IP Logged  
I've actually had good success mounting tweeters in F150's higher in the door panels.  Your factory amp is located beneath the radio and yes it's very small.
Do it right the first time
Kingfisher 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2004 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  
On a side note, the '04's have a spot for a separate tweeter in the front doors.  The audiophile trucks actually have a tweeter there and the rest of them just have a hole.  The 5x7's and 6x8's are pretty much interchangeable.  As you suspected, they will typically have an adapter to fit the larger hole.
Charles_R_H 
Copper - Posts: 122
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 12, 2004 at 11:47 AM / IP Logged  
don't know if you will be able to mount the amps under either seat if they are power
electronics run off of smoke, when you let the smoke out they stop working

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic