icon

which speakers?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hightek 
Copper - Posts: 223
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2004 at 11:23 AM / IP Logged  

obviously component speakers are better than coax but they are more expensive.

should i look at getting component speaks even though i'm not too keen on the idea of cuttin up my car to mount the tweets? plus the fact that i don't have a clue how to wire them. what is the little box looking thing that comes with them as well?

as far as brands go, i've heard a lot of talk about mb quart on here and other forums. they are a little pricy but if the sound is good then i guess its worth it. i was originally looking at infinity or alpines. any suggestions?

/r7 
Silver - Posts: 340
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2004 at 12:02 PM / IP Logged  
if your refering to your fronts, i would go the extra dollar and get something decent.
Component sets come with a crossover (the box), now im not 100% sure how the wiring goes, im still waiting on mine to arrive -_-... so correct me if im wrong (anyone), but the tweet, and the midbass speaker connect into the crossover, and the crossover to the deck/amp
anyways hope that helps, hopefully its accurate, if not, sorry for wasting your time
zane9000 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2004 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  
what exactly is the difference between coaxial and component anyway?
I had Cheetos and wine for dinenr.
hightek 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2004 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  

i always believed coaxial are the 2 way 3 way and 4 way type speaker(s) where the tweeter is with the woofer where as component have a sepereate tweeter and a seperate woofer. if this is incorrect PLEASE someone correct me

sk8ingsmurf 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2004 at 1:50 PM / IP Logged  

you are correct, although a coax can have five channels too (some of the new pioneers are five channel), for the fronts I would really recommend getitng components, once you hear them you will be glad you did.  As far as the box yes it is a crossover (one of the benefits of a component), and yes you wire from the deck to the crossover and the crossover will split it into different signals for the midrange and tweet, its very easy to wire.  Some of the benefits of the component is you will always get a much higher treble out of them, the tweeters that come with components are normally just completely out of comparison to those found in coaxes; you wont have to worry about the sub (midbass) that is placed behind the tweet on a coax distorting the sound of the tweeter when you have components.  All in all every time I have sold/installed a set of nice components to someone they have always been completely happy with their choice, even if it costs a little more.  Some of the brands I would recommend would be boston acoustics, focal, mb quart, I hear good things about the alpine type r components, and Ive had really good luck with the fosgate ones (very good sound for your money).

hightek 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2004 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  

what would you recommend getting in the rear. i'm going to be putting 2 12's in but i want some 6x9's as well. i've seen a few 6x9 components, u ever seen these before? if i went with mb quart for the front what would good rears be?

how do you wire up the crossover and where do you put it?

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2004 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  

I recomend you GO LISTEN to some speakers and buy whatever sounds good to you. 

A good coaxial can sound every bit as good as a component set.  Indeed, some coax sets sound much better than some component sets.  Many coaxials (like Infinity Kappa) use the exact same speakers as do the components in their product line.  Components give you more flexibility in mounting and IN GENERAL can give you better quality parts, but not always.  Install what sounds best to you.

Support the12volt.com
/r7 
Silver - Posts: 340
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2004 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged  
i think that there will be a car audio comp around brandon,MB in canada here (for foreigners of the country), i think it would be a good place to go see what some quality brands (more than not hopefully) and understand other peoples testiments to that brand/model of speaker i keep hereing about here. and actually being able to hear them in a real enviroment setting vs a store wall gives it a good boost of hey is this what i like, or meh i dont like that screechy treble definitely wont buy that specific speaker.
lots to learn if i go there i suppose, just gotta keep yur ears open. anyways, sorry for the rant, i was intending this to be an option for you, i think, based on what i said above, that it would be the best place to find options for components. check around your area, maybe you'll be in luck.
Thanks for reading ;o
djMINIoompa 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2004 at 12:28 AM / IP Logged  
I would leave your back 6x9's stock and use the extra money to get a real nice set of front speakers and maybe buy a kick panel or make one yourself. If you spend 200 bucks on rear speakers, you will never hear them. In order to fully enjoy them u have to be back there to hear them, but we all know that you drive in the front seat...now if you're using your backseat...tahts a different story. So i would leave those stock and either upgrade the some nice MB's or Focal, or you could stick with Infinity or Alpine, which are nice brands too, buy a small amp to power them.
It is better to remain queit and have others think u are dumb, then to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2004 at 12:46 AM / IP Logged  
I just use front speakers excusivly and amp them. I have never had a probelm in getting enough sound outta them, also helps keep the imaging and sound stage in check, or at least as in check as a sound stage can get in a car. Rear speakers mess up the works. I would do a good set of components in kick pods and amp em. Just my two cents. What kinda car is this anyways, and is it a standard or automatic.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic