icon

enclosure design in a limited space

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
beady 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2004 at 11:45 AM / IP Logged  

I've got a 300ZX and have had sealed boxes in it previously.  When fired up I got a lot of hatch rattle.  I ended up making a downward firing box on small legs and that helped, but it got stolen.

I'm wanting to build a ported enclosure(s) for the Z.  I don't want to fire the driver and ports up as I had bad experiences with that as stated above. 

Please discuss advantages/disadvantages of firing the driver and ports FORWARD, REARWARD, and the driver firing into one corner of the hatch and the port(s) into the other. 

Also, what about slot-loading the driver and/or ports by having them aimed at the floor with a 1-2" gap to let the sound out into the cabin?  Good, bad?

Thanks, have looked on Google, but can't really find what I need.

Mike

munchichee 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2004 at 1:03 PM / IP Logged  
HERE is a good article on speaker aiming. Its a pdf file.
munchichee 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2004 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  
I forgot you can spend days reading this site: BCAE I'm sure you can find some answers there cause I can't explain it as well as he does.
beady 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2004 at 3:22 PM / IP Logged  

munchichee, that first link only has one page and ackowledges a similar problem, but doesn't give any solutions.

I've read a lot on the second site, but I don't recall it talking about aiming of subs.

Thanks,

Mike

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2004 at 4:25 PM / IP Logged  

My favoirite box I ever owned was a 1.75 cubic foot box that was down firing with a slot port. It had a soluid lip around three sides and the fourth side was opened and aimed towards the back of the car. I had a dvc orion xtr 10 in it and it hammered. Aslong as your sub meets the requirements for downfiring i have always found this to be the best way to help eliminate hatch rattle.

double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
beady 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2004 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  

Ravendarat wrote:
 Aslong as your sub meets the requirements for downfiring

What does that mean?  I've never heard of a requirement for downfiring, can you explain please? 

Imagine a box with the same setup you just described, but the enclosure is ported.  Could you vent BOTH the driver and the port through that slot formed by the three sides of the box with no problem?  That's what I was thinking of doing.

Thanks,

Mike

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 13, 2004 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  
About downfiring requirements http://www.partsexpress.com/resources/downfire.html
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
beady 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2004 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  

[QUOTE=stevdart]About downfiring requirements http://www.partsexpress.com/resources/downfire.html[/QUOTE]

Many thanks for that link.  I'd never heard of that issue before.

My JL10W3 looks like it comes out to about 2% so it should be fine.

Thanks again,

Mike

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2004 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  
My enclosure was ported, as I said with a slot port. The port downfired as well as the sub.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
beady 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 14, 2004 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  

If you have a port that exits a box into a slot loaded configuration, does the slot length add to the tuned length of the port?  I'm talking you have a port firing downward from a box and the box has 3 "rails" holding the box up with one side open.  I can see if the slot port was the wame width and height of the outlet that it would probably affect it.  I'd guess if the slot port was significantly different in height and/or width that it might not affect the tuned length. 

Ravendarat, do you know?

Thanks,

Mike

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic