icon

Hood Pin Types

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
TheRapture 
Copper - Posts: 208
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2004 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, I installed my Hood Pin switch to my alarm about 2 years ago... i didnt take long at all to get all rusty and crap. Plus, in the Winter when it rains or snows... the pin gets wet and freezes, it creates a short!   so my alarm is going off all the time!
Thus, I uninstalled and have'nt had a hood pin for a while.
I'm trying to find a diffrent kind... plastic coated one, magnetic one... stainless steel one... something.
Thoughts?   Links? Pics?
Thanks all!
D.Russell 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2004 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  

You could try a Mercury Type switch ?

http://www.gizmocity.com/autoaccessories.asp

tanz2004 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2004 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  

Mercury switches are great but if you park on hills don't use them unless you always park on Flat gound. I love them myself, great for hood and trunk If your car gets towed or jacked up for somene to still your Rims and Tires. Just remember with all the good reasons to have something there is always one or two not to. There is a way to add them to your car even with hills. But cost lots of money and some creative wiring. I can not afford to patent my idea so I will just have to keep them on my cars for now. I have 3 under my hood and a few relays that is all I can say.

So if you don't park on flat ground always use another type like Flange Mount Pinswitch  that way the switch is not installed in an area that water will flow and freeze up. hope that helps and if you want to know what that looks like take a look at http://www.harrison-hellfire.com/install.html about half way down they even have one that is rubber booted. I use these and they work great for other peoples cars. and have used them on my own in the past.  Good Luck.

TanZ2004
Washington State
Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2004 at 6:16 PM / IP Logged  
Installing a magnetic reed switch will solve your current problem.
Remember, when installing such a device that placement is critical, as each manufacture has a maximum specified distance in which the magnetic field will close / open the reed switch.
Typicaly the maximum distance is 2-3 mm.
Almost all of the units are hermetically sealed, so moisture and vibration will not be a factor in general use.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic