icon

Electroluminescent stuff

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
axonal 
Member - Posts: 45
Member spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2004 at 2:51 AM / IP Logged  
Wow, Im surprised that not many people here have used EL products. There is a vast majority of different types of products which all run off of 12 volts that you can use. First off, there is EL wire, which is basically wire that glows, it can "change" colors by adjusting the inverter's frequency (EL wire requires a special inverter). Then there is EL tape, which you can use for backlighting gauges and what not. Its a bit trickier to locate this stuff in "sheets" but they are mostly sold in rolls of tape. Then, a seperate product, but still cool, are cold cathodes. Much similar to the neon tubes you are familiar with in cars, except that these are much more sturdier and use less current than neons. A 12 inch cold cathode usually takes about 5mA depending what type of inverter you get. Beingseen.com, is probably the MOST expensive place to purchase EL wire, but a web site called elwirecheap.com sells it for... well obviously cheap. My only suggestion would be to not purchase cold cathodes from them since I received many damaged ones. I plan on purchasing some EL wire to install in my ride as well, so I will post some images when I get around to putting it in.
vdubmk4 
Copper - Posts: 175
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2004 at 8:46 AM / IP Logged  
Awesome, thanks for the info. Yeah, after i looked around a bit i found that elwirecheap.com. Your definitely gunna have to post some pics once you get it in.
Fortune: You will continue to take chances, and be glad you did.
electrolumin 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2004 at 9:15 AM / IP Logged  

Hello,

We hope to answer any and all questions about electroluminescent lighting.

EL uses less than 5% of the power that a fluorescent light and is 85% as bright as neon depending on the inverter you use and what color you prefer.

EL does not get hot, it does not operate at high amperages and voltages.  In short, it is the most efficient lighting source, 99% of the energy supplied to an electroluminescent lamp is converted to light.

We worked with alpine for the Honda Si for 2003 and the Chrysler ME412 concept car. 

Please direct any questions you may have about el guage, el logo and el cable applications here and I will be glad to answer them.

thanks

Ed

Being Seen Tech

vdubmk4 
Copper - Posts: 175
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2004 at 10:07 AM / IP Logged  

Hi Ed, I have a question about the durability. I would like to use El Tape to illuminate the insides of my wheel wells, since the tire is right there it is enevitable that stuff is gunna be thrown up against it and get wet, also with the engine being right there in the front they might get kinda hot. I could always make a plexiglass shield for them I suppose.

Thanks.

Fortune: You will continue to take chances, and be glad you did.
S.I.Autosports 
Copper - Posts: 98
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2004 at 4:37 PM / IP Logged  
mconway0000 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2004 at 3:27 AM / IP Logged  
yeah, streetglow makes it, it's called EL wire (electroluminescent). you can buy it at circuit city for pretty cheap
Asmodeus 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2004 at 10:18 PM / IP Logged  

http://www.pcrange.com.au/index.php?page=p_elt&id=1

Electroluminescent Tape is good stuff...I have used it for accents on amps...I like it for the fact that it isnt as bright as Neon or LED....This way you dont get an Overpowering glow you just get a nice even glow from the area...Just an option...And they use little to no power...

Electroluminescent stuff - Page 2 -- posted image.
Making the World A Louder Place
electrolumin 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2004 at 11:37 PM / IP Logged  
Hello,
First Off, to clarify some things.
Street Glow does not make EL Cable, they sell a kit based on el cable from a company in China with very poor quality inverters. If you dont believe me, buy one of their kits and find out. The kit we offer is about $2.00 more than the one sold in Circuit City and it comes with an inverter that is virtually silent and of very high quality.
Lighttape.com bought their material from a company at a firesale when they went out of business.
Whether you buy from Being Seen Tech or not, we will give you the straight answer on EL lighting.
We will offer you technical support regardless of whose electroluminescent lighting kit you purchased.
thanks
Ed
Being Seen Tech
Flexible Electroluminescent Lighting
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic