icon

Which Amp to get

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kcirdnek 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2004 at 11:03 AM / IP Logged  
$400 is not enough money for a GOOD bass amp. But try Planet Audio. It is a pretty good bang for the buck. I recommend the 2250 but I don't think they are making that one anymore but they have a new Vortex line. Check into them.
kcirdnek 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2004 at 11:11 AM / IP Logged  
The MA Audio is a GOOD cheap bass amp also. A friend of mine had on on two 15s and it quaked. But it was a couple of years ago and I don't remember the model number. I just looked at MA Audio's website and it didn't look like any of them. But he really put that amp to the test and it stood up for a long time.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2004 at 12:47 PM / IP Logged  
Personally I trhink you were on the right track witht he MTX amps. The 801 d is suffiecent but if you want the bigger amp then get it, its really your call. Just be prepared to spend some big money on wire if you get the 1501d because it is demanding. If you never planned on upgrading I would get the 801d and call it a day.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Esco1977 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2004 at 10:26 PM / IP Logged  

Well thanks for the input ravendart. As i was just about to get the 1501d i just started reading about the memphis 1000d. and now im confused again!! So many choices, and i dont wanna buy something just to be dissapointed,and i cant afford to do this again (i really cant ) lol   so watcha think????

Esco1977 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2004 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  
also wouldent the memphis amp have a "cleaner power" to them??
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  
I havent touched a memphis amp in 2 years so I cant say what its like quality wise. I can only take responsiblity for what I have delt with and in your case thats the MTX stuff. If you can get that 1501 for under 400 bucks I would jump all over it, I didnt have one fail my customers the entire time I sold them, and I cant say that about any other amps I sell except for mabye 1 or 2 other MTX amps, definatly cant say it about any of the RF amps I sell. As far as clean goes, I have never had a problem or comlaint with em.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
chevyman26 
Copper - Posts: 227
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 11:42 AM / IP Logged  

Also - go to this site: http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/index.html and click on Interactive Input Sensitivity (“Gain”) Setting Tutorial.

This will give you a pretty good idea on how to properly set your gain. If your amps rating is not on JL's chart (you'll see what I mean) You can use the formula (P*R)^.5                        P = Watts     R=Resistance                ^.5 means square root.    For example - a 1500 watt @ 2 ohm mono amps gain setting should be (1500*2)^.5 = 54.77 VAC

You'd better get me out of this lord... or else you'll have me to deal with. -- Hunter S. Thompson "F.A.L.I.L.V."
russ lund 
Copper - Posts: 188
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 11:53 AM / IP Logged  
Try a HiFonics  Brutus 1000D.It will provide enough grunt and stay under $400.
BigDog
Esco1977 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 10:13 PM / IP Logged  
thanks for the input
Page of 4

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic