icon

Alright, need more opinions on subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2004 at 12:53 AM / IP Logged  
Ok, I've got more money comm'n in to use towards my system than I thought I was going to so I want some opinions on what I'm planing to buy.
Over the next 2 weeks I'm going to have $350 to spend on subs, I want to go with 2 12's and am looking for excellent SQ with high output SPL. After much lookin I found these MB Quart RWE-304 12's DVC's on onlinecarstereo.com for $160 a pop. They peak at 500 watts so I'm assuming they RMS around 200-250. I want to get a smaller class D to push them as I'm thinking I'm gona have around $250 or so to drop into that and was looking at a HiFonics BX1000D for $270 which will be able to easily power these two subs to their optimum output.
These subs will be in .95cf foot custom fiberglass enclosures built to custom fit my stratus. The amp will be flush mounted into the spare tire compartment with dual batteries and a capacitor. All in all I'm lookin at spending around $800 after all is said and done (includes cap and batteries as I'm getting one deep cycle to backup my stock battery that is being relocated to the rear due to custom intake install).
Anyway, I want to know if you guys think the 2 MB's and the HiFonics is a good choice? I personally think it will be a good investment as I've delt with a BX1500D and loved it and have heard nothing but good things about the Quarts. BUT I know hear say can vary to I want opinions on everything and ideas on what you'd do with the same situation. Thankz guys!
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 19, 2004 at 1:12 AM / IP Logged  

The power handling rating on speakers is pretty much a useless rating.  If they are actually being honest about the number (some companies inflate this rating), then all they are showing you is a thermal rating.  The size of the enclosure used will dictate how much power the drivers can actually handle.

Also, that is a very small enclosure to try to use two speakers in.  I recomend instead using that money and buying one really good sub.  I'd recomend checking out Resonant Engineering's XXX, or our Brahma (this isn't trying to push our product, but I truely think it would work great for you).

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 19, 2004 at 1:21 AM / IP Logged  
I read that to mean .95 cu ft each enclosure, which should put you in the range of a lot of subs.  But I don't know those particular models to give an opinion on them.  I have not heard anything negative about the BX1000D.  And you have experience with the brand so it should be a good choice.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2004 at 1:35 AM / IP Logged  
yeah, its ~.95cuft per chamber. I dont want to have just 1 woofer as that would screw up the setup I've already begun building so I kinda have to go with 2. As for the power handling I'm pretty sure that with a sealed enclosure it will be able to handle at least 200 RMS, I can always underpower the amplfier and keep its gain levels at a minimum as to not over drive my subs (tweak those suckers). I had considered the Brahma but I'd like to wait till I can afford to get 2 of them and effectivly power them so maybe for my next system I'll hit you up for info on getting them. As for now I'm pretty sure that these MB Quarts will work out fine. Thanks for the input guys.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic