icon

Vinyl that forms to your FG box?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nyguy4u 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2004 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  

What's up guys?!. Haven't posted here in a while, but the FG box I was building for my 3 15"s in my PT Cruiser is finally complete!.

Originally I was going to paint it, but I couldnt get it all that smooth. But, I was thinking of laying down some type of carpet foam to the curves of my box, then vinyling over that, to create a slightly puffy look (and figuring the foam will hide any of the slight imperfections that I have). Sort of like some door panels on some cars.

Question is, how do I do that?. I thought I read somewhere that you can lay down this certain foam, then lay vinyl down, then use a heatgun to shrink the vinyl to basically form all around the curves on the box. I searched and searched, but can't find where I read that. I even went to selectproducts.com, but found nothing regarding vinyl that forms around what you have when heated.

If a heat shrinking vinyl is no such thing, then how do I do it?. I have seen plenty of FB boxes that are covered with vinyl with some padding underneath.

Any help guys?.

vdubmk4 
Copper - Posts: 175
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2004 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  
I think that heating any vinyl is gunna shrink it some, and give it more flexibility as you stretch it (the key). Just think of any plastic when you heat it, it gets easier to do shtuff with it. Hope that helps a bit.
Fortune: You will continue to take chances, and be glad you did.
civicdetailer 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2004 at 6:33 AM / IP Logged  
i believe select products sells heat formable vinyl. im sure its not cheap, but its select products so its good.
defective 
Silver - Posts: 642
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2004 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged  

i know the vinyl your looking for, the thin stuff with foam backing that is more like a plastic..... used on doorpanels and headliners alot.  I think that would look sick, would love to try it, BUT, i have no clue where to get it....sorry man

Vinyl that forms to your FG box? -- posted image.

civiboy 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2004 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged  
I tried the same thing before and the vinyl didn't work for me either i just melted it with the heat gun, but I was told that if you had a steamer it would work but i have never tried?
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2004 at 7:54 PM / IP Logged  
heat gun + vinyl = fire!!! well, at least melted vinyl as you've discovered. The best thing for forming vinyl is a hairdryer Vinyl that forms to your FG box? -- posted image. You live, you learn, you burn the sh*t out of stuff and then realize that you should think of a better way to do it Vinyl that forms to your FG box? -- posted image.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
nyguy4u 
Copper - Posts: 148
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2004 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the responses so far guys.

I went to Select Products, and I didn't see anything regardling heat forming vinyl, unless i'm losing it. My plan is to get Beige vinyl to match my interior, as well as the same texture like the stock interior.

If I go that route, #1.. how do I get foam to stick to the box (contract cement?), and #2.. how do I get the vinyl to stick to the foam?.

bp_viper 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2004 at 11:27 PM / IP Logged  
i would say you could use contact adhesive. 3m makes it, not sure of the name at the moment. should be able to use it for both. once you put it on it wont come off. i have spoke to a few people that use that stuff for all kinds of things. good luck
CarAudioHelp 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2004 at 1:45 PM / IP Logged  
Try Miami Rubber (cleverly located in Ohio). They carry a lot of factory matched vinyl. I'm 95% sure that's where Select gets their "Miami Series" vinyl.
Miami Rubber
Link doesn't always work. Here's their phone number.
(513) 451-6700
Get the vinyl that stretches in both directions (cheaper vinyl only stretches in one direction).
civicdetailer 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2004 at 3:00 PM / IP Logged  

hf vinyl is the heat formable from select products i just checked...$30 a yard though

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic