icon

Sony X-plode

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
flynntech 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2004 at 9:56 PM / IP Logged  

Am I the only installer who would like to refuse all installs involving Sony X-plode products? 

I'm seriously considering it! I have the freedom to since I'm a driveway installer. I welcome the cash, but this stuff seriously sucks and reflects poorly on my installations....

So the CD player is no longer working after the deck was only removed and replaced, AM/FM work fine.  The four channel amp sounds worse than the HU powering the speakers...it's not even a polarity issue, all four sound like complete garbage......I hate this stuff!

To top this all off, the check engine light is on, but that's because I swapped out a broken valve cover and the computer is responding to the breather hose being reconnected after not being connected......still what can suck more than this?

I'll have to admit, this is my first sucky install, whether it's the product or something I did. I suppose every installer has one of these moments, but I'm too much of a perfectionest to even appreciate this moment...

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 22, 2004 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  
it should be banned from garages world wide.  It should be considered a lethal weapon, and be illegal.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
94legend 
Silver - Posts: 237
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2004 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  

I believe not!. I've seen and known cars with sony set ups that work out terrific.  Its the installer, how many years you've worked on automotive electronics / audio etc..???

I do agree that they are not the BEST products made. They are decent. Review this website, and email the installer and come back and message me.  ( I admire there work and installs)
http://www.hzemall.com/Sony_folder/sony_neon_cover.htm
http://www.hzemall.com/Sony_folder/sony_srt4.htm

pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2004 at 6:31 PM / IP Logged  
Wow. All that install work for Xplodes, what a waste.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2004 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged  
Not a waste at all. I personally have heard those vehicles and they sound actually very good. They are a testimate to how install can make even weak equipment sound good. BTW last I heard they have yet to have to replace any gear in those 2 cars. And for the record I despise sony equipment as much as everyone else but they can be used properly.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2004 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  

"this stuff seriously sucks and reflects poorly on my installations...."  Maybe Sony should find a way to make you stop installing their equipment, being that your installations reflect poorly on the quality of their product.  Nothing wrong with Sony's equipment, some of it provides a good value.  Just be aware that it is not the best stuff out there (some people do not know this, just tell them).  If you think that it is reflecting poorly on your installs, by all means refuse to install them.  I have told people that "I will put that in... but you are not going to be very happy."  Further, excluding the very low end Xplode line, Sony gear can be made to sound decent and even quite good.  I have a CA&E mag that features a Sony system that has won sound-offs in the entry level category (i'll dig up the issue # if you want some install tips).  It's more then a little lame to blame a poor sounding system on your setup.  Sounds like you have multiple problems here.  Try swapping the amp out for a different one and see if it sounds better, try swapping the questionable Sony amp to a different vehicle. Try Troubleshooting.  I have had one bad amp come out of a new box, and it was a Sony (about 6 years ago).  I swapped in a amp I had sitting around, problem identified and I took it back to Wal-Mart for a new one.  They guy who I put it in for ran that amp until he sold the car a few years ago.  The CD does not work after the unit was only removed and replaced? So this is a used deck?  Are you sure it worked before? "To top this all off, the check engine light is on, but that's because I swapped out a broken valve cover and the computer is responding to the breather hose being reconnected after not being connected..."  Damn you Sony!  Your poor products have destroyed my ability to mechanically repair a automobile correctly! 

And BTW your a perfectionist, not a perfectionest.

xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2004 at 8:10 PM / IP Logged  
alright people, lets calm down before everyone starts cussing everyone out over something stupid.
First off Sony, as a company, is obviously not sh*t. I mean, if they were sh*t why the hell was the playstation so popular? What about all their DVD players and the millions of people world wide who use their small electronics? Apparently they arn't sh*t. now yes, I'd have to agree with everyone that their car audio Xplod series isn't exactly grade-a, but its not pure sh*t. Their amps are fine as long as u operate within their specs, same with their subs, their HU's are crappy there's nothing we can do about that but the fact that your install sucked and you blame the HU is a little unprofessional. Your first steps should be to 1) find the problem, 2) fix the problem, and finally 3) LEARN FROM IT.
Anyway, I'm not preaching or trying to push my ideas on anyone, I'm drop'n my opinion on this situation
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
mobile E 
Copper - Posts: 217
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2004 at 8:13 PM / IP Logged  

i agree with xtreamcc , but i also am going to say that sony xplod is... well ... is not very good, but all you have to do is just not buy that kinda stuff, and when a problem comes youre way in an install ... deal wit it man, but i know i know its sony! haha

-matt

everything stolen :(
Workin on a new system :)
Sony X-plode -- posted image.
Peace in the middle east
flynntech 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2004 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  

I'm looking at the car again this weekend and I'll let you all know what I find.

Then you all can rag on me some more... If it's the installer, I'll be the first to admit it.

If the check engine light is still on, I'll pull the code and post what it was. The fact is that the car had been running without the breather hose connected, a 1" hole in the old valve cover and now it has a new valve cover and the hose is connected, this has more than likely changed the vaccum and triggered some sensor. If anyone here is a ford expert (3.0 Taurus) and wants to teach me something about it, please don't, this is an audio forum.

Heavillymedicate...  When you say 'bad amp' do you mean not working at all or working but not quite right? 

The mistakes I made here were rushing a job, working in the dark (even though I have plenty of lights, there is no replacement for daylight. I was very carefull to hook things up correctly and I made good connections. When I hooked up the speakers, I checked each pair and they climbed up to 4.1 ohms DC resistance, the sound comes through all of the correct speakers, but it sounds like crap.  I didn't have much time to troubleshoot, I already had the car back together, but it was getting late. It will be interesting to see what went wrong here. 

I still stand to my beliefs, SONY X-PLODE SUCKS!!  I've seen this stuff turn to dust more than once....if you want some stories, just ask...

flynntech 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2004 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks xtreamcc....  I'm not out to get sony as a company, but I do hate xplode. For the record, I favor Sony Cd players like thier discman and the 5 disc home players over most anything else out there.

The only thing I can think of is that the CD player may have been bumped and thrown the LASER out of alignment. Still, this is pretty cheap, I have CD players that are from cars in the junkyards, left in boxes in the basement...

Even my trusty 'Skipwood' works after years of abuse, this was also a freebie and it didn't look like it was in the greatest shape when I got it.

"1) find the problem, 2) fix the problem, and finally 3) LEARN FROM IT. "

That's basically what I'm looking to do, but I can't do much now. I'll give a nice update when this is straightened out.

I will admit that those X-pode guys do some killer installs. It may be junk equipment, but there is no shame in a good install. Maybee they were sponsored or something.  I agree with Ravendarat, install is first then equipment... I installed a Profile California series 500watt max amp in my roommate's car, it sounded so good, no one believed it was a Profile. People always argued that the $175 could have been spent on a better brand amp, but it seemed to do the trick. 

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic