icon

Sony X-plode

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kidtransam 
Copper - Posts: 99
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2004 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  
lol..you sure you`re not installing xBlod? man..i can see bashing legacy, pyramid,jensen etc..but comon.
Dont give the people reading these posts the idea that sony audio is no good...thats just plain wrong. Ive installed countless sony systems and the only problem ive had with them, was bad equip.(and it wasnt new).
I have a sony HU/2amps/subs/and 2 component sets..Hell for no more than it cost..it rox.
Now sure, 3 JL 10w3s will slam it..but so will the price tag.
Bottom line..if you have a crappy sound with sony products, its either intstall probs, or bad equipment.
With a torch and a big enough hammer...it WILL friggin fit!!
flynntech 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2004 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  
I'd like to take a torch and a big enough hammer to this amp!!
kidtransam 
Copper - Posts: 99
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2004 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  
lol...that may not make it work right..but i guarantee itll make it fit :P
With a torch and a big enough hammer...it WILL friggin fit!!
Herald 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2004 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  
the only good exp with sony was with an older 50wx2 and was 1 ohm stable. any of the newer stuff i stay away from.
A person who carries or proclaims important news; a messenger.
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2004 at 10:13 PM / IP Logged  
flynntech wrote:

"1) find the problem, 2) fix the problem, and finally 3) LEARN FROM IT. "

That's basically what I'm looking to do, but I can't do much now. I'll give a nice update when this is straightened out.

Thats the fun in installing. Well, maybe not fun, but its the reward of it. When u can install and trouble shoot stuff and gain experience. I'm not say'n rush rush rush, thats how errors are made, just got through, look at ur install, check wires, check for current where current shouldn't be, just the basic double checks, thats how 90% of problems are solved. As for the CD player, if its not a M680 or a M800 its crap, they fall apart all the time and the laser tracks are notorious for failing. As for the check engine light, its probably the fact that the guy had the breather off, this will screw any engine all to hell with dirt. More than likely there's nothing wrong with his sensors, he's probably got dirt clogging up his manifold sensors causing the errors. This isn't ur fault and u shouldn't be held accountable for this guy running his engine w/o a breather. Anyway, best of luck with this man
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2004 at 2:32 AM / IP Logged  
I meant that I have only had one amp (new) come out of the box and be defective, ever.  Defective defined as not working properly or at all.  Every other amp I have ever installed (new) has worked perfectly.  The "bad amp" sounded like.. well, have you ever took a 2 or 3 way speaker and held the woofer down?  Sounds ok at low volumes, like its all mid and treble (not to mention hollow) then turn up the volume and it sounds like all of the above with distortion.  That’s what this sounded like.  Like the voice coil seized on all of the speakers in the car simultaneously.  I checked the set up six different ways, then decided to swap the amp out of that car and put in the one from my cutlass.  I swapped, and everything sounded fine.  So I unhooked my amp, swapped back in the Sony.  I was thinking that i missed something when i checked, checked and triple checked the Sony.  However, when i got the Sony back in, same thing.  To put a nail in it, I took the Sony out, and swapped it in to my cutlass, same thing.  That was it, took it back, got a new one.  Put it in and it was good for the next 4 or so years, till my buddy sold his car.  I don’t remember the model, but it was a 50x2 (it was brown I think) and it was bought from Wal-Mart.  We replaced all the speakers in the car with Pioneer's (this car was a Wal-Mart special!) 6.5's in the front and 6x9's in the rear. The amp pushed both sets, never got terribly hot.  He (the owner) was pleased with it, and i thought the amp was a decent value at the time ($85).  I hope ya get everything ironed out.  It could be the hardware and not the install, but i would not throw all Sony car audio into the same trash bin on the account of a few bad components.   Seriously, are all the components new?
flynntech 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2004 at 6:46 AM / IP Logged  

Wow....that's exactly what this amp is doing!!  I have it set to HP, starting out low sensitivity, highest x-over point, bass boost off. I'm not doing anything different than I ever had, for a minute it sounded good through the front speakers, the rear's are infinity reference 6x9"s and they don't sound anything like infinitys!

If the amp is bad, it's not my problem....now the CD player, what's up with that? Is there a possibility that it's not the hardware, but a setting instead? Either way, I can take care of it, but what a headache!

I can take the amp to work and trace a test tone through it with a dual trace scope. I'll know right then whether it's workng or not.  The amp seemed to be new, it was in a box with plastic and it looked new. THe HU was already there.

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 24, 2004 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged  

remember..... always.......

it's a poor musician who blames his instrument !!!

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
xploder21 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2004 at 10:49 AM / IP Logged  

I am right now using a sony CDX-F5000 and think it is pretty good. I am also using 2 10" 1100W Sony subs that i got as a payment for money owed to me. I also have 2 audiobahn AWC series 10's hooked up to it. The sony subs have better sound quality to me. The bass from them is astonishing. but this is coming from a semi-deaf guy so yeah.

Its the installer who makes the system sound like crap most the time. any equipment hooked up right and in the right box could sound good. thats why there are specs given for subs, amps and decks.

zane9000 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2004 at 12:32 PM / IP Logged  

what exactly is the problem with the cd player? does it just read the disc or is it completly dead and the motor doesnt even kick in to pull the disc into it? I have a sony deck that the cd player died on. i opened it up and founf that the cd player is a seperate module that just sits on a connecter in the middle of the board. it was just a little loose. all i did was pull it out, line it up and drop it back in and all was fine.

while it does sound like your were unfortunate enough to pick up some bad equipment, its true that even the worst gear can sound good when installed right. I have 2 radioshack 8" full range speakers and 2 radioshack super tweeters in a box in my back seat running off a xplod HU (dont remember the model #). and an 8" radioshack sub running off a pyramid amp. the whole set up cost under $100 ($45 for 5 speakers and $50 for the amp. HU was free) and after many many hours for fine tuning sound awsome. it wont be winning fist place in an spl comp any time  soon, but it blows away almost every person i meet. just realised that this was just a big brag on somthing that isnot about sony so ill shut up now.

warren

I had Cheetos and wine for dinenr.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic