icon

Blaupunkt 220 W cd player, good or bad?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
xploder21 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: August 23, 2004 at 11:47 PM / IP Logged  
Is a blaupunkt cd player bad or is it good?
mobile E 
Copper - Posts: 217
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2004 at 1:27 AM / IP Logged  
ummmm.. model number , or something in that ballpark would be nice.. heh , ya but in general blaupunkt cd players are pretty good stuff... 220w thats peak, im shure somebody else like forbidden will chime in... Blaupunkt 220 W cd player, good or bad? -- posted image.
everything stolen :(
Workin on a new system :)
Blaupunkt 220 W cd player, good or bad? -- posted image.
Peace in the middle east
heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2004 at 2:55 AM / IP Logged  
I do not know of any quality issues with Blaupunkt.  However, I think you could do better for the money at any price point the Blaupunkt.  So unless this is a super good deal I would look elsewhere before I bought the Blaupunkt.  Post the model # and what you are paying for it and I am sure you will get more information and opinions.  Also, if your interested in system building you may want to think about what you want your system to be in the end. Tthe headunit (CD player) is were it all starts and you can save yourself alot of headaches by choosing with future upgrades in mind.
dragonrage 
Copper - Posts: 193
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2004 at 6:14 AM / IP Logged  
I have a Blaupunkt Pasadena that's rated 45Wx4 and without an amp, it isn't really any louder than my stock deck was. Also, it has a dedicated subwoofer preamp out but I have not been able to find any options to adjust subwoofer volume separately, only the overall bass level. I won't buy another Blaupunkt without looking at it first to make sure it has a damn subwoofer volume control, the lack thereof is VERY annoying to me.... when I had subs, anyway.
2009 Pontiac G8 in planning stage
HU: ?
Speakers: ?
Amps: ?
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2004 at 7:03 AM / IP Logged  

Some things to note about head units in general:  One, they simply don't put out much power and there are very little in the way of standards for rating power.  Don't even look at head unit power when buying them.  They are all going to put out comparable numbers RMS (More like <20ish w) unless you go with some crap brand like Pyle.  Two, don't look at or quote max power (peak) when buying car or home audio.  It simply doesn't matter compared to RMS.  Even then, an extra 5 watts isn't really going to help you or hurt you either way.  In other words, don't make buying decisions off wattage ratings.

I actually have more respect for Blaupunkt than a lot of other brands.  They seem to build quality stuff and usually don't claim rediculous THD and s/n numbers compared to some brands at the same price point.  (There's no way a sub $200 sony head unit has 120db s/n ratio.)  A $2000 Marantz home audio preamp lists 105db.  Who do you think is being more honest?

Anyway, if I was sending a friend to look at a cheaper head unit I'd have them look at Blaupunkt.  If you start getting into the $300+ range I'd start looking at trying to find deals on Nakamichi and Eclipse decks. 

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 24, 2004 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged  
post the exact model so we know what unit you are considering... i have had lots of experience with Blau over the years and most of it's been good... it would help to know if you are looking at a true Euro Blau model or one of the re-badged Sony  Asian Blau's........
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
dragonrage 
Copper - Posts: 193
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2004 at 9:51 AM / IP Logged  
kgerry, do you happen to know which of those categories the Pasadena falls under?
2009 Pontiac G8 in planning stage
HU: ?
Speakers: ?
Amps: ?
xploder21 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2004 at 10:42 AM / IP Logged  
well I'm getting it for free and right now the deck is in my step-fathers truck. a pimped up 93 Toyta Half-ton pick up. I'll get the model number this afternoon.
heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2004 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  

Oh did you say *free*?  That’s a price I can go with any day of the week.  For *free* I can tolerate allot of missing features, at least for a while.  Yeah, forget that 220watts stuff - ppppfft.  Certainly its more like 22 watts x 4 rms, and even then you'll be lucky to get more then 15-18 usable watts.  Still, it is better than almost all factory systems.  I have never replaced a head unit and not seen any sort of improvement in sound (albeit marginal).  If your system building then this may get you by for a while so you can spend money elsewhere for a while (or may be all you need, lets see that modle #).  If you just want a cd player in your ride, then this one will be just fine.  The only Blaupunkt product i have owned are coaxials (used) and subs (new).  Both held up well, the subs sound good once i put them in a ported box.

xploder21 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2004 at 2:04 PM / IP Logged  
Its a BPV660 CD reciever.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic