icon

SPL, how to get louder?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
brandon8686 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2004 at 11:09 PM / IP Logged  

Hello everybody, I want everybodys input on how to get louder than i already am I have:

2 S12L7 Kicker subs.
1 bp1200.1 JBL amplifier
ported box 5.25 cubic feet.. fiberglass
clarion dxz853 deck..
and a phoenix gold bass cube

Im driving a nissan 240sx coupe and the subs are in the trunk.. its sorta customized to be more hatchback like for better airflow into the cab.

What can i do to improve my spl? im probably gonna soundproof everything and upgrade my deck to an excelon eclipse or alpine but other than those improvements im stumped on what to do to gain a few db.. any ideas???

I got in sensored recently with a termlab and i hit 150.2 db

xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2004 at 12:20 AM / IP Logged  
you hit 150 and ur concerned about not enough SPL? You trying to go deft or what dude? Anyway, with ur current setup there's not much you could do except maybe get a second amp and push both subs to their max, but that would probably destroy them in that ported box..... but you'd be louder SPL, how to get louder? - Last Post -- posted image.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
gibo 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: August 28, 2004 at 12:16 AM / IP Logged  
Well you could add one more JBL bl 1200 and run one to each sub that would get you up to 153 db, double the power to go up 3 db, then you need more voltage and amperage to power the amps, you might want to try one of these if you don't already have one: http://www.batcap.net/index1.htm
markcars 
Silver - Posts: 662
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2004 at 7:17 AM / IP Logged  
You have 150.2 db and thats not enough for you? I assume you are not continuously listening to those volumes are you? Because at those levels, you can easily damage your ear drums. Please don't damage your hearing.
Just out of curiosity, what did you use to measure the db level on your speakers?
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2004 at 2:01 PM / IP Logged  
150.2 on the term lab and you want more,   what class are you running in?
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 29, 2004 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged  

Where was the mic placed when you hit that score?

With SPL, there is no replacement for displacement.  So if you can get more radiating surface, or further movement (larger enclosure/more power) at the frequency you are playing, then you will be louder.  Other ways of doing it is making sure your enclosure walls are perfectly rigid.  You will lose SPL if the box flexes at all.  You should also do what you can to make the vehicle rigid (within the rules of the organization you are entering).  That will reduce losses as well.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

mconway0000 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2004 at 2:20 AM / IP Logged  
dynamat or tsunami silencer or anything else of the like should help a bit, maybe double layer it

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic