icon

What Happened To All The Good Amps?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
munchichee 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2004 at 7:09 AM / IP Logged  
Not too long ago when I was installing for a living you could find amps made of real **** with real power like the memphis hc100, lanzar 50c, old PPI amps, old Hifonics, old Phoenix Gold, old soundstream reference series, even the old RF amps did the job. And I know I've left off plenty who've switched to crap.
Now all these same manufacturers put out p.o.s. amps made in some sweatshop overseas with cheap parts and chrome plated trim. If you look back most the amps I referenced have a very similar design. How can a chrome heatsink even begin to do its job?
Are there any manufacturers still making what they used to? I haven't kept up for several years and finding an amp is becoming a hassle.
speedwayaudio1 
Silver - Posts: 879
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2004 at 7:41 AM / IP Logged  
U.S.Amps is a fine amp that is made by fine craftsman right here in Florida. Gainsville that is. Tons of power and high sq. worth every penny. Thats just one company of many that carry fine product and service.What Happened To All The Good Amps? -- posted image.
Big Dave
munchichee 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2004 at 8:58 AM / IP Logged  
I knew someone was gonna mention the only co. I wasn't even questioning. Go figure. I don't think I could sell enough to become a dealer, but do they have any distributors that you know of? I'd like to put a few in my store.
cornfedmancow 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2004 at 9:42 AM / IP Logged  

Well, I have been using both Zapco, Directed, and have recently looked at the Total Mobile Audio here in Phoenix.  TMA was just purchased by JL Audio and teh Owner used to work for RF.  Anyway.  In my opinion, Orion has always been good stuff, same with the newer/older PPI amps. YOu may be able to find a stockpile of old PPI amps, call them and ask....

Eagles may soar - but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines.
aggie altima 
Silver - Posts: 298
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2004 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged  
I know you are asking about older manufacturers, but have you looked at TRU amps?
Jon
Don't like rockford subs? Then don't look at my car =)
burned 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2004 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with you, I am from old school amps. I have an  Punch 40 thats as heavy as a brick. Even after 20 years of use, the caps arent swollen or leaking, and it pumps way more power than its rated for.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2004 at 9:49 PM / IP Logged  
I agree that the old amps are better than the new stuff, in fact you can pry my HCCA 425 from my cold dead hands before I give it up, but to say everything new is crap is a little harsh. What it comes down to is that companies have switch to making amps to make more profit over making amps that last forever. If RF still built amps like the old school punch amps than people wouldnt need to buy a new amp every 5 years. Also to build a quality amp costs more money and makes the retail on the amp higher. If every single company conformed to this it would be fine but its a gaurentee that some companies would continue to produce an amp that puts out 400 watts RMS at 250-300 bucks that will last for 4-5 years and that is obviously gonna outsell an amp that produces the same kinda power but will last 3 times as long with a tag price of 650 bucks because what it comes down to is that 95% of the population is driven by price not quality. Its a very sad and unfortunate reality that dictates the way the market has evolved. There are sill some good quality amps out there but the problem is that when they hit the market people look at them and go "800 bucks for 300 watts, what a rip off". Until the population on a whole change their attitudes and dictate a new direction the market will not change and I do not see this kind of radical change comming anytime soon. Call me Pesimistic but I think the "good old days" are gone and not comming back.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 25, 2004 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  

You're not a pessimist, Ravendarat...you're a realist.  The era of throw-away electronics has crept in and taken over.  For most of us, the first throw aways were okay...televisions, CD players, game stations...There was the hope and reality that newer and better software and gimmicks were yet to come, so no need for something to last forever.  We expected out first computer to last until the kids went to college, and for the next few years saw changes so dramatic that after awhile we wished it would just give out altogether  to give us an excuse to get a new one.  And so it went with all our electronic toys, as outsourcing to the cheapest manufacturing countries became a real need for US businesses to stay competitive.

And just more recently it has hit us in the car audio market.  Forums like this allow us to stay aware of the good and the bad, and when our dollars go to the better quality products, then we have a say in the market trends.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
BBQ Warrior 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2004 at 12:28 AM / IP Logged  

I still want to kick myself in the head many times over for selling the five PG M100's and the M44 and the M50 that I owned 6 years ago,  they were the best amp I have evere owned.

djmoose 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2004 at 6:32 AM / IP Logged  

Man, I agree 100%.

That's why I collect and only use Hifonics Series VII and VIII amps. :-)

What stinks is that I have a brand new never used white Seies VIII Atlas...and I'm pretty much scared to hook it up...LOL! I don't want to de-virginize it!

thanks for mentioning US Amps...I will look into these if I ever need to buy something brand new.

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic