icon

What Happened To All The Good Amps?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mj239air 
Copper - Posts: 153
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2004 at 7:04 AM / IP Logged  
I will do you one better. I have 3 brand new never been used PPI Pro Mos amps from back in the day. I don't want to take away the "V" but I will soon. I have a Pro Mos 50 and 2 Pro Mos 425's. All of which are in the beautiful old PPI white. Who knows why all the manufacturers decided to put out a lot of crap, but there is a lot out there.
delphidoc 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2004 at 8:49 AM / IP Logged  

*Looks at thread* hmmm, this thread is slowing down a little. Allow me to stew things up a little....

What Happened To All The Good Amps? - Page 2 -- posted image.

How do the specs and features on these "old school" amps compare to those of today's amps? My hunch is, not very well. At least not dollar for dollar. This thread has a lot of the same vague rap you can read in a lot of the other threads on this site and others: Brand X sucks and Brand Y is the sh*te, without any real evidence to back it up. So far I've gotten that the new amps are inferior because they have chrome or they're not as heavy as the old ones. Nobody griping about watts RMS or THD- probably because the newer amps beat the old ones hands down.

*ducks*

Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2004 at 10:16 AM / IP Logged  
LOL, what a sh*t disturber !! What Happened To All The Good Amps? - Page 2 -- posted image. I agree with what you are trying to say on the topic at hand. But, one only needs to open a old school power amplifier and see the difference in thickness of the power rails, and the overall size of the components being used.
Compared to the new units on the open market, they are not built the same way as in the past.
I am sure there are still a few out there, but a premium are being asked for them.
Let the Orioan 25-HCCA live on . . .
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .   
delphidoc 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2004 at 11:09 AM / IP Logged  

I don't know this for sure but I'm guessing the situation with amps is similar to what it was for computer memory in the past: 1MByte of 80nsec RAM cost $50 dollars back in the day of 386 CPU's. Now you can get 512MB of 60nsec DDR memory for much less than $100. From $50/MB to about 10 cents/MB (of much faster RAM). It would be interesting to compare the price of a typical amp with < 0.1% THD from 15-20 years ago to one today. I guess my point is that technology has progressed so much that an old amp might be built like a brick wall but its electronics have a hard time keeping up with a present-day amp.

Another analogy- SLR cameras. I've still got fond memories of my old autofocus SLR with its metal body and bag full of separate lenses, but it doesn't have near the features of a plastic-body digital SLR being produced today. I'll take a 2004 digital camera body that accepts separate lenses over my old Maxxum 8000i any day. Arguing that my old beloved Minolta is better than a Canon Digital Rebel doesn't make a lot of sense.

Teken 
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2004 at 11:29 AM / IP Logged  
All great points. But, in this case you cannot down size a power rail, and expect the same amount of current to be able to pass through without long term ill effects.
The analogy I would use is this. Back in the day the rails were in PG amplifiers, or Orion units 3/4 inch in thicness.
The very same amplifiers of today are only a 1/8 to 1/4 in thickness.
That is like using a 12 guage power wire, in place of a 4 guage 1/0 guage wire.
Both will do fine at moderate current levels, but once the levels increase, Boom !!
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
cornfedmancow 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2004 at 11:54 AM / IP Logged  

What Happened To All The Good Amps? - Page 2 -- posted image. OK so basically we all agree that the old PPI, and RF Type "Brick" Amps were great, but I agree with the thread so far. Look at Cars! I would take a 1975 Cutlass Supreme anyday, but quality and quantity are different now.  I took out a Telephone pole with my Cutlass and drove it home.  Can you do the same with a 2004 Ford, Hyundai or Chevy, no, it would destroy the cars now.

Basically, we have to accept the fact that old will always be better for longevity, but market driven prices and qaulity will always win. Why sell 10 RF Punch amps for $300 when you can manufacture 300 RF Amps and sell for the same price. Bottom line is, I would love to get my hands on some old PPI amps, but I have to settle for the new and improved Chromed out, BS heat sinks, and minimal power rails.  Untill I can afford a DaVinci or Tarantula!

ANyone selling some PPI's? 

heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2004 at 1:39 PM / IP Logged  

I think what we have seen is the mainstreaming of car audio.  While it has always had a highend and lowend (and in-between) the low end market for all components of car audio, the lowend market has exploded in the last ten years.  Every kid wants subwoofers, amps, speakers.. and more subwoofers.  I think rap music has pushed this forward (Im not a big fan of rap in general).  But young people cannot afford highend stuff.  The few companies that have a large lowend line prosper.  So you have companies that not only want a chunk of that lowend, they need it to survive!  So they take their good name and smack it on an amp that holds a comparable pricepoint to others in the low end.  Its economics.  Thats why we see so much low end out here.  Good amps are still made, they just get lost in the suffle with all the junk.  Does Soundstream still make a good amp? US Amps? MTX?  JL?  Rockford?  I think so and I think we are better off as consumers now as compared to ten years ago.  I respect the old school heavyweights, but dont wish for the days of old.

And I also think that when comparing things today to twenty years ago you have to compare the purpose and utility of them.  Old cars got sh*te gas mileage, were heavy and more dangerous to others in an accident (and the occupants) when compared to today’s cars.  Today’s cars are designed to get better mileage, better performance, and protect you and the other guy in an accident.  It's not cheap engineering, exactly the opposite.  And I thinkt hat is what we are seeing in the car audio world as well.

Teken 
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2004 at 3:46 PM / IP Logged  
Well said . . .
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
racer427 
Silver - Posts: 381
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2004 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  
I have to agree in part on the topic of people being *Cheap* . I myself would shell out a few extra bucks to the more dependable amps. Back in the days I used MTX and Apline amps and almost 10 years latter each of those amps is still going, I am just sorry that I sold them. I had at one time, 4 MTX 2160 amps made in 1992 I do beleive, And they rocked the hell outa my Camaro. All 4 of those amps are with my cousin now and the are rocking his system still after around 5 years and several vehicles. I had an old Alpine 3522 2 channel the was made in 1988 ( I think) and it is in my Brother-in-Laws Trans-Am right now still rocking. The problem relates to rising costs for what we would call the good parts so come the higher price. And I agree that most people with go to an amp that states 1200 watts for $200. Uhg, You couldn't pay me to buy any of those amps.
Alpine CDA-9833 HU
Diamond Audio M661 Components
MTX Thunder T6.6 Components:rear fill:
Cadence Q400 4 Channel Mains + rears
Thunder 801D Subs
MTX 1004 10's
Dual 4g wire to rear
4g grounds
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 26, 2004 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged  

true in most senses.... the reasons that a new car is destroyed competing with a telephone pole vs. an old tank is something called " crumple zones ".... these new vehicles are designed to absorb all the inertia in an accident and deflect it away from the occupants and in the process, disintegrate....

the reason the old power amps ( and i've worked on thousands of them ) needed 2 inch wide heatsinks on the power supply and output rails is that the bipolar transistors used in their days were heat dogs... they were very inefficient and needed an avenue to displace the heat generated... heck, the old Alpine and Kenwood amps used 8) D1669's in the power supply, whereas the new units use 2) IRFZ44's or 48's MOSFET's to generate the same amount of power supply current.... the same can be said for the O/P (output) rails.. 2 N channel MOSFET's deliver more wattage than 4 or 6 bipolars.... which means amps nowadays dont need to deal with the massive amounts of wasted energy in the form of heat that they did 10 years ago

RF was able to downsize and lighten their amps by putting the entire pre-amp section on one little discrete PCB vs. the 6 inches of space it took up before utilizing a couple pounds of passive components

if you are choosing amps based on pounds per dollar the "old school" amps will win every time ( heck, my old top loading VCR which cost 1300.00 bucks weighed 30 pounds, my new one for 300.00 weighs about 3 pounds, but i'll take the new one for picture quality anyday )( and yes, i watch a lot of DVD too.... just to nip that potential comeback in the bud )...but dont kid yourselves, there are a lot of good quality products still being made these days.....

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic