icon

What Happened To All The Good Amps?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Kingfisher 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2004 at 5:14 PM / IP Logged  
This is pretty funny.  This thread outlines my current situation exactly.  I'm putting a system in my 2004 F-150 and cost is a definite factor, so I bought an old Punch 200 from a guy for $100 to push my two Solobaric 10's (also old school... the round ones).  The setup works great, as did my old Punch 200.  Anyway, I'm with the "They don't build them like they used to." crowd.  I think you'd be hard pressed to get a better amp in todays market for $100, or even two or three times that for that matter.  Just MHO though. : )
cornfedmancow 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2004 at 6:31 PM / IP Logged  

OK OK so I know the post on the cars was off a little.  I wouldn't drive my kid around in that old Sh##er, powder blue no less.

Anyway, what I was trying to say is that, yes "old is better" when it comes to certain things, reference my old ass, pushing 30 and getting better every year!

I started out with crap and worked my way up to the good stuff.  Hell they still sell the Orion Red and Black surf boards  You can find them.

Regardless of style, type and cost, if it sounds good and can (repaet can) make your ears bleed and interupt your heart rate, that is fine with me.

Late, I am out

Eagles may soar - but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines.
/r7 
Silver - Posts: 340
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2004 at 7:07 PM / IP Logged  
although most will say old skool amps are better than todays,
as kgerry said summed up, is that technology is making the parts in our amps more efficent in passing current through it, dispersing heat, sending signals from 1 point to another, if you start comparing the functions of the parts used in amps from today, vs amps from old skool days, im sure under the appropriate usage, the new day parts will be at par with the old skool parts if not better, in quality.
i myself have a SS tarantula, and i love it. my only query is that, i bought this amp recently, and the company was bought out by power akoustic (i think)sometime last year i believe or start of this year. i cant be certain, only from what some people have said to me about the ramafications of the buy out. so i may have a amp of the same name with 'certain' parts substituted for cheaper costing parts. not saying this has happend but the possibility is there, until someone says otherwise ;p.
anyways. the point being, im still very satisfied with this product, even if the parts arent as they used to be. (thats probably a bad description though)
dangerranger96 
Copper - Posts: 163
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2004 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  
i dont know whether someone has mentioned them but planet audio still makes a pretty decent amplifier
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2004 at 8:22 PM / IP Logged  
Look like its time to hit up the flea markets and yard sales and score some old skool amps! As for new amps that are quality, try memphis, mx autotek,and hifonics.
djmoose 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2004 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  

Kingfisher wrote:
This is pretty funny.  This thread outlines my current situation exactly.  I'm putting a system in my 2004 F-150 and cost is a definite factor, so I bought an old Punch 200 from a guy for $100 to push my two Solobaric 10's (also old school... the round ones).  The setup works great, as did my old Punch 200.  Anyway, I'm with the "They don't build them like they used to." crowd.  I think you'd be hard pressed to get a better amp in todays market for $100, or even two or three times that for that matter.  Just MHO though. : )

Niice...I'm pushing my 2 12" round solos with a Series VIII Thor.

Also, I'd KILL for a nice looking punch 200 for $100. Especially if it was the first models with the end caps...circa 92-93 

Kingfisher 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2004 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  

I picked mine up on Ebay.  I have a 200X2 model, 1996 I think but it was in rough shape.  The one I bought off of Ebay is a 200 DSM but it's identical to my X2.  I think it's a 95, I can't remember, they have them listed on their website I just can't remember the year at the moment.  Looks the same, uses the same x-over cards etc. and hits the same! : )  It rocks my Solobarics just fine.  Me likes! : )  Anyway, poke around on Ebay you can find them cheap!

munchichee 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2004 at 10:47 PM / IP Logged  
*Sorry for the long post in advance!*
I don't think I actually was looking for "factual" info and comparisons by starting this post but everyone's got some good and relevant input on this subject.
I think I was mostly complaining about the fact that not 20 but 5-10 years ago you could pretty much associate quality with certain manufacturers and brands when looking for an amp (generally speaking don't hold me to it) and end up with a great product for a your investment.
Now that I have been "out of the loop" if you will for several years I noticed that a lot more research must go into finding the right amp you need and you have to weed out all of the "maybe's" and "shot in the dark" amps that can fool you. Even amps made by the names you used to trust.
I also observed the gradual merging of low-end and high-end products. It is very hard to distingush this separation and the industry is flooded with affordable quality items and many have been put to the test and sweared by. Of course the parts, design, and components are going to reflect advances in technology (just like the automotive example) and won't ever look or feel like old school stuff.
We get smarter. We get cheaper. We get smaller. We live on.
Yes I know the market has shifted for the masses and targeting this is the only smart way of staying in business, but now I am very uneasy about making a final decision on anything. I REALLY HATE buying my "can't loose" decision and being less than overwhelmed, especially after a gruuuling research process.
Any freakin' way! I'm just b*****ing in general. Don't feel obligated to explain!LMAO!
*Sorry for the long post again!"*
munchichee 
Copper - Posts: 51
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 26, 2004 at 11:51 PM / IP Logged  
OK Like the new Hifonics - Memphis - Clif Designs - MA Audio etc. amps that eveyone who owns one will swear by. How can these amps be soooo cheap and soooo badass? I mean spending $300-$400 for any of these will pretty much get you anywhere from 500W-4000W of "pure" rms power.
(Hypothetically!)Why even bother with a US Amps, Zapco, Orion HCCA etc. and spend thousands more? (Yes of course quality..and I am not doubting these amps in any way).
Here are some amps on ebay I find intriguing(haven't researched these yet!)...anyone have info or experience with these? (I didn't post any I was sure of):
Visonik
Harrison Labs
Fusion
Alphasonic
Diamond Audio
Niche
Mark Antony
Hollywood
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2004 at 12:14 AM / IP Logged  

I dont know who posted it but someone was talking about comparing RMS power of the new to the old and how the new was always a step above. I have to point out that the really good old school amps were rated as cheater amps and would produce an obsene amount of power compared to what they were rated for. My HCCA is rated 25x4 and at 1 ohm will do 500 x 2 rms, or an old school punch 500 in the chrome series was rated at 500 rms and would actually push about triple that. Unless it  follows the new 2006 certification guidlines, power ratings in general rms or max, are simply guidlines and can be complete BS

double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic