icon

What Happened To All The Good Amps?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2004 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  
I know a guy who has four of the visonik amps hooked up to four 15" subs ( I think they are apocalypse subs, its not a brand im familiar with) in his caravan. Its crazy loud. be warned though, those amps are long as all hell, not sure on the length but they are definalty space hogs.
dpaton 
Copper - Posts: 141
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2004 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  
Please excuse this departure into the world of my soapbox...
Off the top of my head, class-D power densities have clouded the minds of just about eneryone in the industry, consumers and manufacturers alike. Also, the idea that you need 50W for a pair of tweeters has become quite acceptable, when in actuality, 50W into a tweeter in a car with the windows up will fry your ears in about 8 minutes flat. Personally, I have my rig set up so that at no time can I deliver any more sound than I need. Yes, I have 30W on my tweets, and 150 on my midbasses, but I've padded the hell out of the amp inputs, and it's a non-issue. If my tweeters ever see more than 5W it's because something broke in a serious manner. Loud now is a helluva lot louder than loud was back then. Remember the power wars when everyone was making amps with apocalyptic power outputs like 200Wx5 because they could, indifferent to the fact that amp was 3' long, 1' wide, and 4" thick? Oh wait, they're still going. How about JBL's grand idea that their new addition to the Harman stable (Crown) should be subjagated and forced to put their touring amplifier technology into a mobile amplifier with a power draw so enormous it can only be supplied reliably and safely by sponsored competitors with dozens of Optimas? Amplifiers, like much of the industry, are almost entirely governed by small men with big egos and deficient phalli (plural of phallus, to get around the filters)? As a practicioner of sound in live, recorded, and installed realms, I honestly believe that anyone not competing for SPL really needs to limit themselves in terms of power. It's really quite insane. 10W really is enough if do it right. I promise.
OK, I'm done. PLease return to your regularly scheduled mayhem and destruction What Happened To All The Good Amps? - Page 4 -- posted image.
-dave
This is not a sig. This is a duck. Quack.
Page of 4

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic