icon

setting my gains through JL tut

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
/r7 
Silver - Posts: 340
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2004 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged  
awesome :-), i was hoping it worked like that, but i wasnt sure if thats how things were done (to me it seemed logical though)
so now at least i'll beable to know if its bottoming out, its too loud without worrying about the fade.
SnomanF150 
Silver - Posts: 269
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2004 at 3:53 PM / IP Logged  
In my experience, most every JL audio Amp I've installed, the gain has been set at just about 10 to 11 o'clock. That will usually be max rated power with no clipping. I have a paper somewhere I got at a training seminar somewhere if your interested. (this is tested with 1kHz)
George
David's Car Stereo
Baton Rouge, LA
/r7 
Silver - Posts: 340
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2004 at 12:26 AM / IP Logged  
thanks snoman, but its no bother :-), gotter set, figured the formula out so its all good :-)
TonyPTX 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2004 at 12:30 AM / IP Logged  

This has been a very insiring thread to say the least....a basic question and it gets into the old funny business of how Amp Manuf. rated their amps...

For the above stated equations, is the power listed (50W x 4 channel @ 4 ohm) the RMS power the Dynamic power?  The reason I ask this is because I just finished installing a new setup with a new Fosgate Punch 4004 (highs) and an old MTX Thunder 202 amp for my sub.

The Fosgate is CEA-2006 complaiant and lists the nameplate RMS power @ 14.4 VDC of 50W x 4 @ 4 ohm  (Ironically the test sheet that's packaged w/ the amp had 99 RMS Watts/channel @ 4 ohms, but I think this is a typo because the name plate RMS power @ 14.4 VDC of 100W x 4 @ 2ohm.

HOWEVER.....the MTX is a bit older and so, it has two seperate nameplate power ratings (RMS @ 12.5 VDC of 140W bridged into 4 ohm) and (Dynamic Power @ 14.4 VDC of 200W bridged into 4 ohms) with a max input of 2.5 Vrms.  The factory acceptance Test sheet just shows "165W RMS All Channels"

My question now is....on the MTX, should I be using the 140W value or the 200W value?  The sub is a RF Z-Punch 10" SVC @ 4 ohms.

Secondly, the HU is an Alpine 9805 with 4V max on the pre-outs.  Seeing 2.5Vrms on the MTX is making me wonder if I need to adjust the gain on that amp all the way down (or do I need to get it replaced for compatability?)

TonyPTX

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic