icon

xm vs sirius please pipe in!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mobile1 
Silver - Posts: 479
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2004 at 1:03 AM / IP Logged  

FACTION that station kicks major a$$. Sirius-ly   (sorry i had to)

russ lund 
Copper - Posts: 188
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2004 at 12:10 PM / IP Logged  
Sirius has a better signal footprint than xm(if your in the midwest).Better sound .I like the hardware from Kenwood and JVC.As for antenna size yhat has shrunk with the 2nd generation units.
BigDog
Leif 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2004 at 7:06 PM / IP Logged  
I'm surprised noone has touched on the issue of lossy data compression.
Both Sirius and XM use very low bitrate data streams from the satellite. Sure, the entire stream from the satellite is several megabits per second, but divided onto all the different channels you end up with around 50 kbits per music station, much less for talk stations.
XM uses the AAC codec with SBR. (Spectral band replication) from Coding Technologies.
Sirius uses the PAC codec from Lucent.
Initially, the codecs were comparable quality, but XM just simply licensed the codec, while Sirius is working closely with Lucent to make continuous improvements.
So, while XM is as it is and will stay that way, Sirius will sound better and better as they make improvements to the encoder.
So, on an Audio Quality basis alone, I would definitely recommend Sirius above XM.
///Leif
dudek38 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2004 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  
thats very interesting leif. i would never have thought of that....
owner of
Motion Marine & Car Audio
the florida keys
stavy customs1 
Copper - Posts: 63
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2004 at 11:23 PM / IP Logged  
At best buy when i sell satellite radio i always sell sirius because i have it and it kicks xms ass. Their stock is failing because they are pumping so much money into their listeners and what they want to hear. Give a year and theyll have very high stocks. When it comes to music and programming it blows xm out of the water. I always tell the xm rep that xm has alot of catching up to do and its true at our store for every 4 siriuses that go out maybe 1 xm will go out....
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic