791xv - car starter keeps turning!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
brokeAs240sx 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2004 at 12:20 AM / IP Logged  

Hi guys,

I was trying to attach my cold start wire today through the 4 pin harness on the relay satellite. The car was working perfectly fine before, it just wouldn't remote start correctly on mornings. So, I mess around w/ some stuff, then the car starts turning by itself when I reconnect the battery.

I've completely disconnected my main alarm unit and only have the relay connected. I've taken out basically all of the wires except the purple (goes to starter side) and green (goes to key side). When I pop in the fuse, the starter will start cranking and just keep cranking. Basically, somehow it has turned into a constant 12v. This happens when the red wire which is next to the purple is activated. All other wires have been disconnected.

Could I have screwed up my relay somehow? Or is it something else?

Thanks!

tbirdman74 
Copper - Posts: 164
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2004 at 7:07 AM / IP Logged  

brokeAs240sx, we need a little more info.  Year, make, and model.  I am guessing that it is a 240sx, just need a year, and what wires you have the relay tapped into in the car.  Colors would be great.

If it don't fit, Force it.
If it breaks, You needed a new one anyway!
brokeAs240sx 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2004 at 7:28 PM / IP Logged  
sorry about that.
Car: 89 Nissan 240sx
Alarm: Viper 791xv
Wires currently connected to make the car starter engage by itself:
(Trying to remember off my head, still @ work)
1) Purple (from relay) to BLACK / YELLOW Starter wire on Engine Side
2) Green (from relay) to BLACK / YELLOW Starter wire on Key Side
3) Red Constant 12v (from relay, the red wire directly next to the Purple wire on relay) to WHITE/ Red Constant 12v on car
I have disconnect all other wires from the relay and disconnected the power from the viper main brain in an attempt to isolate the problem.
I have also disconnected the harness which goes from the main brain to the relay in hopes that it will isolate my problem.
I am extreme noob at wiring this stuff (I had it done by someone on the side - trying to fix my cold start by myself - then this happens)
Thank you very much.
tbirdman74 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 12:02 AM / IP Logged  
Sirry for the delay, had to hammer start my computer today.  I may not be of much help, since I found out that DEI has changed the 791xv to a new style relay pack.  And the wiring instructions are a little sketchy as well.  First, I would disconnect the starter wire, starter side.  Then hook everything else back up, and test the wiring to see if there is something crossed up somewhere.  For example if the rs act input is getting grounded or something like that.  If all is well there, then I would suggest opening the relay pack up and looking for burnt traces on the board, then meter the terminals of relays to see if one is stuck, and possibly try to cycle the on board relay manually by applying 12v and ground to their respective terminals where soldered to the board.  If one doesnt cycle like it should there is your culprit.  I am going to go and read the new manual again, and try to make some sense of it, it all sounded greek to me earlier today.  Hope it helps.
brokeAs240sx 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 1:09 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the input.

I tried reading the manual as well, and it makes absolutely no sense. I've opened up the relay and the thing looks crisp and clean, no burnt marks.

Basically, if I connect the PURPLE / green wires etc but don't connect 1 of the red 12v wires (the one that powers the starter), then I can start the car normally, but cannot remote start.

Can I/Should I be testing this w/ just the relay not hooked up to the brain? or should I be testing it another way?

Thanks again.

brokeAs240sx 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 1:55 AM / IP Logged  
791xv - car starter keeps turning! -- posted image.
tbirdman74 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 4:02 AM / IP Logged  
Hate to break it to you man, but I am of not much help today.  The last time I installed a 791xv, the satelite relay pack consisted of four or five relay plugs snapped together with relays stuck in them.  Like I said, try to cycle the relay in question manually.  Take the board out and on the bench, meter the terminals and try to determine if it did stick or burn out.  I am guessing that since there is not two separate wires that should go to starter side, that the starter kill and remote start relays are both in this thing, and somehow work together.  The old ones had a starter wire(key side), and a starter wire(starter side)that were coming from the kill relay, then there was another starter wire(starter side) that came out of the remote start relay.  I guess they got tired of hearing of people hooking the remote start wire into the starter wire on the wrong side of the starter kill relay.  I just looked at the manual for the new style online again and it made my head hurt even wirse than the first time.
brokeAs240sx 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 11:31 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for trying to help. I appreciate it. I'll definitely start trying to test the terminals, if I can figure out what they're "suppose" to output, haha.
So no one else wants to jump in? :). Someone must have run into this problem.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  

Please expand on...

So, I mess around w/ some stuff, then the car starts turning by itself when I reconnect the battery.

what exactly did you do or "mess around with " ???   we are not psychic on here and it's almost impossible to try to troubleshoot this for you if we dont know what you did....

i tend to suspect you have something hooked up wrong.....

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
brokeAs240sx 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 3:31 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry I wasn't specific as I should have been. Please bare with me because I'm very frustrated with all these wires right now.
Basically, by "messing around" I moved some of the wires around trying to get my cold start remote start to work correctly. I did basically what I have listed in my first few posts.
As best I can remember, since I moved a lot of wires around, it started with me plugging in the 4 wire harness (small one) on the relay and trying to hook the smaller purple wire into what I had thought was the 2nd ignition (BLACK / YELLOW - like it said on 12volt's guide for my car).
This the car then started to crank. After that, I figured I must have hooked something wrong or moved something somewhere I shouldn't have.
So, in an effort to isolate the problem, I did what I mentioned in the posts above.
Thank you for being helpful and patient.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic