icon

Tested my amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
robb420in323 
Copper - Posts: 101
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2004 at 1:59 PM / IP Logged  

..I was just doing my monthly checkup.  I tested my 4ch Power Amplifier (listed Below)

and it seems that the right channel is showing a almost constant 0.007 and the left channel  will

fluctuate between 0.002 to 0.005...      The volume was low..And i was using a DMM

Whats the right way to do this.. i imaging im doing something wrong...

amp sounds good, there are no problems..i was just doing my monthly checkup.

Hunter S. Thompson for sheriff
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 09, 2004 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  
what is it you seem to be checking for???
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
flynntech 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2004 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged  

"amp sounds good, there are no problems..i was just doing my monthly checkup"

OCD? j/k...

I can't imagine what would posses you to perform a monthly examination of your amp if all channels are working and it sounds good.

My first observation is that you are checking two seperate stereo signals. This is the nature of recordings and stereo in general, no two signals will ever be the same, if they are...it suddenly becomes a mono signal.

My second observation is that you gave us a figure .007.......007 WHAT!??

volts dc? volts peak to peak (ac) ? ohms..? amps? what exactly is going on here? This is what my college electronics professor refered to as 'leaving me hanging'  'Don't ever leave me hanging' he would say.......you just reminded me of that, that's all.

I give you a thumbs up for breaking out the multimeter, so many people still don't believe in them. Please, just look to where the selector switch is set to and tell me what each of the probes are connected to, then we can talk.

It sounds to me like you are in the wrong setting or there might be something wrong with the meter. What model DMM is it and when was it last calibrated and/or purchased new ?

robb420in323 
Copper - Posts: 101
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2004 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  

lol Thanks, i should have put more in..

I test all my components.. not just the amp. I like to know that all my stuff is in top form. The numbers represented Volts DC. and now that i think about it,I should have had the multimeter set to AC. Yes the numbers slightly fluctuated. the right channel is a few numbers higher.

My Meter is a Mastercraft.. i dont know which model , its out in the garage, however its there best one.

My stereo slightly sounds better with my balance 2 notches to the left.

Hunter S. Thompson for sheriff
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 11:01 AM / IP Logged  

Is it the balance on your deck that is set to the left or is it the balance on your indash eq that is set to the left.

double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
russ lund 
Copper - Posts: 188
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged  
What the hell are you checking for?The only thing you could test with a dvm set for DC volts is dc ofset.And you can't have any audio going into the amp when that test is being conducted.
BigDog
flynntech 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2004 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  

Even checking the volts AC at each of the speaker channels, what could you possibly determine other than there is a signal (varying in amplitude) or no signal?

To test for what I think you're testing for, you will need lots more equipment than a multimeter. Try to just relax and enjoy your system, I'm sure it's working fine.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic