the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

system recomendations

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2004 at 2:31 PM / IP Logged  

If you are going to be playing the system at a sustained level for any period of time then I would find a larger amp. We have used far more power into the MB Quart speakers with no problems. If you have a big fat sub hanging out in the back, more power up front is a good idea anyways. 40w or 50w x2, there is little to no difference here. Safety wise though, it is better to have too much than not enough. Personally I would go a little bigger, say the 75w rms per channel range.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2004 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged  

You'll be fine with 40 watts.  40 is actually quite a bit of power.  I don't think that is a good price for that amplifier though.  Better amps can be had for cheaper on ebay:   http:///.com/dll?ViewItem&category=18796&item=5720924869&tc=photo

http:///.com/dll?ViewItem&category=18796&item=5721380197&tc=photo

http:///.com/dll?ViewItem&category=39735&item=5721153306&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2004 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged  

I got some infinity reference component speakers for a really nice price from a friend.  They put out a nice sound and have lasted so far.  I'm now lookin at some new 6 x 9 for my rear deck.  Probably will go with JL or Polk MOMO.  For subs I would either go w/ 2 JL 10w6v2 (makes a whole 1 cu ft for both) or the Infinity Kappa Perfect VQ 10"  (that runs about .3 cu ft for each I think).  Both run in the same average price range I believe.  JBL has a sub amp (Power Series) that runs like...650 x 2, and 334 x 2, and another that runs 237 x 2.  The look really nice and I've heard them at a shop here in town that has some really nice gear (they were hooked up to 3 JL 10w3v2, that may have something to do with it also).  I'm sellin my Kenwood amp and probably upgrading to one of these.

kfr01 is right bout 40 being big power.  Especially for component speakers w/ high effeciency.  Good luck on everything.

hightek 
Copper - Posts: 223
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2004 at 6:37 PM / IP Logged  
should i be looking more at 4 channel or 2 channel amps for the inside speakers?
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2004 at 7:15 PM / IP Logged  
This might depend on the # of preout channels on the cd player, if you have rear preouts, then go for it. While most people will say why are you putting in rear speakers and just use deck power, I happen to like rear fill and I like it to sound good. So it is up to you, not us. I would use a 4 channel amp and amplify all the speakers. This will afford much greater protection to the speakers by using  the built in crossovers. Proper gain setting to all speakers is also going to much easier to adjust relative to the sub. Like I said earlier, if your sub is fairly bass heavy, a little more power up front will never hurt anything.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
boxmaker85 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2004 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  

I'll agree w/ forbidden.  When you take the bass off of your component speakers it sounds much better.  Let the sub do the dirty work.  And an aftermarket amp will provide a really nice crossover and "clean" the signal up.  (btw forbidden that wasn't a joke.  system recomendations - Page 3 -- posted image.  )

hightek 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2004 at 1:42 PM / IP Logged  

well i still have more questions. i'm looking at amps and am totally confused. people have said to go with a hifonics brutus, others talk about cadence, i've been looking at eclipse and other too. the main thing that confuses me is wiring the sub. i've wired svc subs before but never a dvc. what's the difference in wiring it in series vs. parrallel?? which one do you all recomend? as far as amps go i'm wide open to advice or suggestions. i'm also a little confused on how much power i need to push the brahma?

ive also read about tuning boxes and stuff as well. i was wondering if i need to worry about tuning my box. i'm not quite sure if this only applies to ported boxes or sealed as well. mine is going to be a sealed box. i was also wondering if i have to use a thicker wood. for right now i'm thinking 3/4 mdf. i just don't want it to break or anything if the sub really hits. any suggestions???

mobile E 
Copper - Posts: 217
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2004 at 6:23 PM / IP Logged  

Elipse is the best brand outta those IMHO when it comes to amps... Tuning boxes is only for when youre porting the box... 3/4 is standard for building a box but you have to remeber if you want to build the best box possible youre going to prolly want to double thicken the front baffle and throw some bracing in ... and if you do that remember to account that into youre box vol.

Matt

everything stolen :(
Workin on a new system :)
system recomendations - Page 3 -- posted image.
Peace in the middle east
boxmaker85 
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2004 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  
Go w/ a fg enclosure.  Well, if you have any experience w/ it.  It's great and provides an awsome setup.  As far as amps.  Pickin an amp is like picking a car.  There are millions of choices.  Narrow it down.  How much power do the subs need?  How many subs do you have?  What is the impedance?  DVC and single are simmilar.  It's like having the wiring for two subs in one.  You can run it many different ways.  I'm not good at explaining that so this is where someone else comes in and picks up.  But then you can listen to different amps to hear how each one sounds in sql (and there will be MAJOR differences in some amps).  And one of the major decisions is price.  The word that we all hate to hear.  But a good amp runs high in the price range.  The it's down to personal choice.  "Do I get the shiny one or do I get the one I can paint flowers and unicorns on?"  The options can be endless.  Good luck!
hightek 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2004 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  

i would like to go with fiberglass but i have ZERO experience. and with the weather getting cold i don't want to start learning right now. I'm thinking about a hifonics brutus amp for the sub.  it will probably be the adire brahma 12". dvc i'm pretty sure 4 ohm (someone please correct me if i'm wrong). i'm a little unsure as to how to wire it though. should i go series or parrallel? what are the pros/cons?

also, which way should i face the sub. i can fold down the rear seat but sometimes people sit back there.

what about buying on a site like ebay. i noticed that i can get a lot of my stuff for significantly cheaper, but i realize that i am sacrificing the warranty. what your opinions suggestions about buying off ebay or something like that as opposed going through a dealer? how much does the warranty play into the products? one problem that i am facing is that some dealers where i live do not offer hifonics or adire or certain parts that i would like for my system.

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic