icon

system recomendations

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hightek 
Copper - Posts: 223
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2004 at 7:14 PM / IP Logged  
is it true that with the brahma the smaller the box the more power you have to feed it?  someone told me that and i was just wondering if it is true or not?
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 05, 2004 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  

That is true of any subwoofer.  Efficiency is a function of the enclosure.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Steven Kephart 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 05, 2004 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  

hightek wrote:
dvc i'm pretty sure 4 ohm (someone please correct me if i'm wrong). i'm a little unsure as to how to wire it though. should i go series or parrallel? what are the pros/cons?

The Brahma uses dual 2 ohm voice coils.  The wiring choice will depend on the amplifier you choose.

hightek wrote:
one problem that i am facing is that some dealers where i live do not offer hifonics or adire or certain parts that i would like for my system.

Where do you live?  We have an extensive world-wide dealer network.  Check our dealers page to see if there is one in your town.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

hightek 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2004 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged  

with amps and the size of the enclosure, i'm guessin the smaller the enclosure the less power you have to give the driver, or is more power for a smaller enclosure?

i've checked and there aren't any dealers near me. i think the closest one is in arizona or texas.

one question i do have is about sub zero boxes. i was looking at their website and it said that their boxes are perfect the brahma subs. what would be the difference if i were to build my own box as opposed to buying a sub zero one? does the brahma require a stronger box or anything like that? i would much rather build my own box than rather spend the 300 for the subzero box.

Steven Kephart 
Posted: October 06, 2004 at 3:36 PM / IP Logged  
hightek wrote:

with amps and the size of the enclosure, i'm guessin the smaller the enclosure the less power you have to give the driver, or is more power for a smaller enclosure?

As the box size decreases, the efficiency of the system decreases as well.  This means you will need more power to reach a given output level for a smaller enclosure.  But power handling also increases as you decrease the enclosure size.  So the driver can handle more power in a smaller enclosure.  But also keep in mind that frequency response and "ringing" changes for different sized enclosures.  I'd recomend figuring out the best alignment for you first, then build the enclosure to suit that.  After that, worry about the power.  I ran my Brahma 10 in a super tiny enclosure for a long time off only 500 watts (Soundstream Reference 500) and it was very loud.  In fact upgrading to a kilowatt amplifier didn't give me that much gain in output. 

hightek wrote:
one question i do have is about sub zero boxes. i was looking at their website and it said that their boxes are perfect the brahma subs. what would be the difference if i were to build my own box as opposed to buying a sub zero one?

Personally I'm not a fan of pre-fab enclosures.  But that sub zero enclosure is a very big exception.  They are extremely well built, and well worth the money.  In fact I have never seen a custom enclosure as well built as theirs are.  The only advantage from building the enclosure yourself performance wise is that you can build yours to fit your vehicle better.  Especially if you decide to use fiberglass.  But theirs provides excelent support and is very rigid.  I highly recomend them.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

hightek 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2004 at 3:11 PM / IP Logged  

this is the subwoofer i'll get

http://www.thezeb.com/p-Audiobahn-AWT34X-34-inch-Subwoofer-100492.htm

NOT system recomendations - Page 4 -- posted image.

do you think it's any good? i mean 34 inches come on

heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2004 at 3:33 PM / IP Logged  

Yeah, im sure its real loud.... and thats about all.

hightek 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2004 at 3:40 PM / IP Logged  

are cdt speakers any good? i was pretty sure i was going to get some mb quart components, but then i started looking at CDT. any suggestions?

how does memphis amps compare to hifonics? is the power output true to what they say so on the hifonics?

hightek 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2004 at 6:14 PM / IP Logged  

when looking for a sub for the brahma do i want to look at the rating in 1 ohm or 2?

i'm guessing it all depends on how i wire it. if i wire it in parrallel then it puts it into a 1 ohm right? and if i go series then it's a 4 ohm load correct?

which way is better, in terms of power handling as well life of sub/amp?

how do memphis amps compare with hifonics. originally i was looking at a hifonics then saw memphis. i'm also considering orion. any suggestions?

Page of 4

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic