Crazy Requests

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
furflier 
Copper - Posts: 236
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2004 at 5:09 PM / IP Logged  

Francious70 wrote:
[quote]How about the ones that want you to loosing the trunk lid bolts so there trunk will rattle. I have seen this to many times.
WHAT?? Why would someone want to do that?? That is absolutly the most retarded thing I have ever heard.
Paul[/QUOTE]

So there trunk would rattle so that it would sound as though they were really hitting hard.

flynntech 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2004 at 5:43 PM / IP Logged  

It's called service with a smile...

If the customer wants me to 'loosen' stuff in his/her car....I will gladly do it, charge them an extra $20, hook-up the 'ol air impact wrench and toss a hanfull of hardware into the woods.

You know the 6 subframe bolts that most FWD cars have? Two will hold it together.

Four engine mounts?....you can do without at least one, maybee another.

Why not remove the upper or lower strut bolts to create some negative camber and give it that 'lowered' look while you're at it? 

Swap in some blown struts/shocks with crooked springs for your 'hydraulics'!

You want your ride to ratttttttle? Baby, I'll make it rattle!

If you want an EQ that powers your subs, sure. Just sign this paper that says 'this installation is authorized with the understanding that this unit is not recomended to power.....subs, no warranty'  $45....pay up!

You want an EQ that simply won't work (no amps) I'll gladly install it and take your money and with a big smile, say, that will work great once you get some amps!

mxxmikexx 
Silver - Posts: 796
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2004 at 6:44 PM / IP Logged  
I had a guy come in that wanted us to look at his car because his sub was no longer working, this is in an older 85ish camaro, car pulls around back, i lift open the hatch to find the rear well of the hatch with about 5 inches of standing water with the amp at the bottom of the water and a small sub enclosure floating as well. how in the hell would you not hear a swishing sound every time you drove the car and not even bother to investigate it yourself?
furflier 
Copper - Posts: 236
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2004 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  
This one guy had me put 2 12' behind the seat of an Isuzu single cab w/ a punch 150. But in the bed of the truck I install 2 15"s with a pucnh 600 just so people could hear him coming down the street. Could not tell any diff inside the truck.Btw he had a bed cover not that it makes any difference
Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 12, 2004 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  
mxxmikexx wrote:
I had a guy come in that wanted us to look at his car because his sub was no longer working, this is in an older 85ish camaro, car pulls around back, i lift open the hatch to find the rear well of the hatch with about 5 inches of standing water with the amp at the bottom of the water and a small sub enclosure floating as well. how in the hell would you not hear a swishing sound every time you drove the car and not even bother to investigate it yourself?
Yea, but I bet his trunk didn't rattle. Crazy Requests - Page 2 -- posted image.
Paul
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2004 at 2:05 PM / IP Logged  
These stories are examples of why I left the mainstream installer business after a couple of months.  Too many customers who think they are self-appointed "experts" but who have no clue, and too many people who "just want it loud" but who want it for $25.  I hated doing half-assed work just because it's what the customer wanted.  No thanks.
Support the12volt.com
jonbth 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2004 at 4:11 PM / IP Logged  

Francious70 wrote:
[quote]How about the ones that want you to loosing the trunk lid bolts so there trunk will rattle. I have seen this to many times.
WHAT?? Why would someone want to do that?? That is absolutly the most retarded thing I have ever heard.
Paul[/QUOTE]

I don't understand that either. It's like some people don't care what there system sound like. All they want is for people to hear that they have massive bass in their car.

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2004 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  
I simply refuse to do it. If a customer askes me to cut corners to keep the cost down I just say no, I wanna back up everything I do and if I did it his way I couldnt do that so I just wont do it to start with. If someone wants me to actually make his vehicle rattle more the only suggestion I will give him is to add more drivers and amps, not lossen bolts and other such things. I have told customers in the past they are dumb or "uneducated in these matters" in the past and I am sure I will have to do it again. They key is being able to explain to anyone why they are dumb and how they can fix the previously mentioned lack of mental power without insulting them. This is an art I have come to love in face to face situations, but over the phone, thats when I end up just plain insulting people................... o well no ones perfect.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
flynntech 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 13, 2004 at 5:16 PM / IP Logged  

I hear ya, it's tough to set someone straight and be polite too.

I had a guy bring a tuarus to my yard to have a boss mp3 player installed. The player worked fine, but the car had a blown head gasket and almost got stranded in my yard.

I didn't say anything about that, but I did make it clear that he needed to get his car out of my yard whether it ran or not. He limped home in the car.

I later got a phone call asking how much to install an amp so he could listen to it for a month before his dad bought him a new car...

I told him politely to save his money and wait until he has a new car. Well, I haven't heard from him, so I guess I should've did the install and the uninstall...and then another install....

I'm just glad he didn't bring that car back again, I'm not running a junk yard here.

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 13, 2004 at 6:16 PM / IP Logged  

i have 25 years worth of these tales i could tell...... it's not a request but here's an example of what i deal with every day..... i had a guy come in a month or two ago because his factory CD player isnt playing the discs he recorded... ( we're the AC Delco radio centre for our province so i get all these weirdos) i explained to him that these OEM units are not designed to play burned discs , but that they sometimes might, it's hit and miss... but if he wants to consistently play burned CD's he would have to get a unit specifically designed to play CD/R's etc.

he comes back a week or so later swearing his head off and cursing me out " you f*****g liar, there was nothing wrong with my old radio because i went out and bought a new one that will play burned discs and it still doesnt play" and then proceeds to tell me how his "friends" factory player plays the discs he records on "his" computer

i explain about different recording programs and recording on proper music discs not those cheap 10 for a buck data discs, but this guy is hearing none of it... he's just cursing up a storm, saying that he probably didnt even need to buy a new radio, cause this one does the same as his factory one......

i try my burned test discs and they play fine..... i try his disc in my bench player only to be met with the telltale buzzing, squawking and whistling of digital data.... the moron was burning in MP3 or WMA and expecting that to play in his factory CD player, then goes out a buys a new unit without apparantly ever mentioning to his salesperson whereever he bought it that he recorded in a digital compression format... ( i dont even think he knows what MP3 or WMA is ) and blames ME when it doesnt work.......

when i explain WHY the MP3s aren't playing he storms out calling me an a** and says  "well you should have told me that before "    like i'm psychic or something......

this is why we keep our office beer fridge well stocked.............

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic