car off, still drawing power?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mobile E 
Copper - Posts: 217
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2004 at 1:08 AM / IP Logged  

i had this happen to me like 3 or 4 times

... it happens if something moves around in youre trunk and the remote turn on wire touches the neg ground wire.... this runs the amp ..until the amp runs the battery dry... Make shure that that positive remote turn on lead stays away from the neg...

car off, still drawing power? - Page 3 -- posted image.

everything stolen :(
Workin on a new system :)
Peace in the middle east
fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2004 at 8:44 AM / IP Logged  

Alpine, I didn't think about the possibility of messing up the cars computer but good catch.  I started to think about different scenarios that could take place under your hood.  So, I did a little research.  Here is an article I found.  And when you think about it, removing the batteries post is just like a battery dieing out. 

http://www.mmxpress.com/technical/electsys.htm

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2004 at 10:33 AM / IP Logged  
Yup, , when you remove then positive post then its not that bad, , but in your first post you said remove the negative, which would be horrible.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
/r7 
Silver - Posts: 340
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2004 at 1:14 PM / IP Logged  
@ mobile E, that is a possibility, i had removed my amps power connections, and had them spread out on the trunk without having taped them over, wasnt for too long, maybe 10minutes of moving things around, but even in that time period i dont know if anything touched.
Been waiting to get my battery into my car, its sitting in the back of my dads truck and i cant find him. we'll see if its connections or battery or something else once i get the battery in.
@Chevy, should have answered this in my last post, my car fortunately isnt a ford, its a 91 buick, thanks though :-)
fuseblower 
Silver - Posts: 403
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2004 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for bringing that up Alpine Guy.  Hate to have messed up someone's car by ignorance...

ziggy8882 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2004 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  
you might need a high output alternator if you're running too much amperage from your system, 140-160 amp alternator would be good
ziggles
/r7 
Silver - Posts: 340
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2004 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  
new battery, works great :-)
i'll give it a week and if i see signs of death in this battery i'll start pluckin hairs from my head -_-
Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2004 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  
thapimpfromchi wrote:
if u feel any magnetic pull, ur alt is fine. if there is none, or very weak, ur alt is dying or dead.
That is wrong . . .
Teken 
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2004 at 11:15 PM / IP Logged  
Alpine Guy wrote:
get the new motomaster battery, , aparently its made by optima, , it looks just like it but black.
That would be incorrect. The design is patented, and is being used by Excide with royalties being payed for said use.
It is not made, or manufactured by Optima or its parent company. Excide makes the batteries themselves.
Teken 
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2004 at 11:22 PM / IP Logged  
chevyman26 wrote:
O.k. - if I'm not mistaken the yellow tops are deep cycle, so you wouldn't want to use that as the car's main batt.
That would be wrong . . . The Yellow top is designed to be a SLI battery. It is not made like a ordinary deep cycle battery which you see being sold by every John, Dick, and Harry . . .
If the vehicles electrical will see extreme depeletions of the batteries cells at any given point. The Red Top will die like any other SLI battery.
It is not intended or designed to endure prolonged, or deep cycles.
End of story . . .
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic