icon

2001 VW Jetta GLS

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
trcoffelt 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2004 at 8:41 PM / IP Logged  

I just bought this car 2 days ago. After gutting my last car to install a stereo myself, I have decided to never "pay"  again to have someone install a stereo for me. It's just too fun! Only problem is that I don't  know much about this car and things are pretty well hidden as to how to take things apart.

The car has the monsoon stereo system in it but for me this is just not enough power. So I am going to install my 800w x4 in place of the existing 200w amp. Easy enough. My problems are I do not know how to pull the existing deck, and I am also concerned that I might be messing something up with the new amp since there is an 8 speaker set up in the car.

I'm sorry to be a bit of a newbie but appreciate any help. Is there any good diagrams for how to remove the existing stereo that I can be directed to? And how would be the best way to go about hooking up the 8 speakers?       2001 VW Jetta GLS -- posted image.

dudek38 
Copper - Posts: 250
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2004 at 10:10 PM / IP Logged  
first,you must use a special vw radio removal tool. second, your amp will make the speaks louder, but not better. you'll prob end up blowing them, think about replacing the stock speaks in the near future. you won't "mess " anything up. find a wiring diagram before doing anything. the only way i can think of hooking up the 8 speaks is finding the leads coming from stock amp, splice longer wires on them and direct to new amp(diagram will help keep polarity correct). it's going to be a fairly complicated job....
owner of
Motion Marine & Car Audio
the florida keys
trcoffelt 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2004 at 11:52 PM / IP Logged  

Ok thanks!

Now I only have to find the tool to remove the deck and the wiring diagram... Found the one for the non-monsoon stereo but can't find mine. I guess I'll either trace the wires or keep lookin. Thanks for the info on the speakers. I wasn't sure weather they put in speakers that could handle that much power or not. Unfortunately the car that I pulled the amp from still has the speakers that I had in it. 2001 VW Jetta GLS -- posted image. And I no longer have the car.  Oh well. Thanks again it's appreciated.

pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2004 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged  

Do you mean 800W four channel?? Becasue 800x4 would be way to much power for just speakers.

trcoffelt 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2004 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged  
Whoops! No, it's not 800x4. 2001 VW Jetta GLS -- posted image. It's an 800w amp 4 channel. Sorry for the confusion. Kinda wrote that in a hurry. The stereo that I want to install is from a car I used to have. I'm going to put in a sony deck, a sony mobile ES 800w amp going to the speakers, a rockford 1000w mono amp going to a rockford hx2 dual coil 15", and I guess I'm going to wait untill I can get some speakers. I kinda wanna go for some diamond audio seperates but don't know if I'm gonna have that kind of money any time soon. I'm not too big on the sony deck but that's what I got at the moment. Just spent my money on a car. 2001 VW Jetta GLS -- posted image. So I will deal untill I can get something else... or untill my wife will let me.
ice4life8269 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2004 at 10:45 AM / IP Logged  
hey man, the tool you found is the same one for monsoon...... and you can get them from crutchfield.. Great choice in a new car man!
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2004 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  
You can also just go to the VW dealer and ask them to pull the radio, , takes 5 seconds, , if they bitch, they tell them you want your $20 000 back, lol
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
trcoffelt 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2004 at 10:40 PM / IP Logged  

Ok cool thanks for the suggestion. I think I'm gonna wait a bit till I go back to the VW dealer though. Been spending tooooooo much time there lol. Sign Here Sign there.... blah blah blah. (Ice) Thanks! Yeah I love the car so far. Alot quicker than the honda civic I had! Plus it's a sweet ride. And I got a sun roof now! WOOO HOOO! 2001 VW Jetta GLS -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic