icon

Wiring a 12volt accessory outlet

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Neal K. 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: September 16, 2004 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  
Hey im new to the forum its been a big help so far. You guys are great. Anyway Im adding a new 3-way ciggarette adapter into our 1996 Town and County LXI and I want to add this adapter onto the car's Accessories power so its only active when the key is on. What is the best way to wire into that. The adapter i bought originally had an adapter that plugged into the cigarette adapter and then gave you the 3 outlets on the other end. I have cut that existing end off and extended the wire out to the fuse box under the hood but am unsure the best way to wire it in to the accessory power. I do have a 10amp in-line fuse that i already hooked into this wire. Whats the best way to wire it in. Any help would be greatly apprecialted. Thanks Please feel free to email me suggestions too
Montrealler 
Copper - Posts: 155
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2004 at 12:19 PM / IP Logged  
dismount the under dash (Philips screwdriver and 10mm socket)find a black orange wire .... hook it up there. NEVER APLY PRESSURE TO THE IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS. SERIOUS DAMAGE MAY OCCUR.
hotwaterwizard 
Silver - Posts: 1,350
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2004 at 12:00 AM / IP Logged  

Most cigarette lighter circuits are rated at 30 amps be sure your wire size is large enough to run that kind of amp draw. I would yse a 10awg or larger and run it thru a Fuse. The best way may be to use a Relay to turn it on and off with the ignition switch. Here is the Basic Diagram just hook the lead that sayes Remote Turn on to a spot on the fuse panel that comes on with the key switch.

Wiring a 12volt accessory outlet -- posted image.

John DeRosa (Hotwaterwizard)
Stockton California
When in doubt, try it out !

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic