icon

6 ohm dual coil

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jarvy 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2004 at 1:45 PM / IP Logged  
hey guys, im gonna be running 2 15 DVC 6ohm subs. im woindering how i should wire these in order to produce the most wattage going ot each. my amp is ma audio hk1397 specs are :
2 x 400W RMS @ 4 Ohm Stereo
2 x 700W RMS @ 2 Ohm Stereo
1 x 1600W RMS @ 4 Ohm Mono
someone told me that this could run at 1.5ohm... if i run at 6 ohm will they sound really bad and not much bass?
you think this thing will run at 1.5 ohm? also, im building a ported box  and i dono if i should add the recomended cubic foot values for each sub to create a box double the size, or just use the values for one sub for both?
jarvy
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2004 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  

I would not even think about wiring up these subs to 1.5 ohm mono. My bet is that this would send your amp to the old amplifiers home in the sky. Your safest bet is to series / parallel the subs to a 6 ohm mono load. Otherwise find yourself a fat class D mono sub amp that will run at 1 ohm mono. If they run at 6 ohm they will still pound, try it and find out. Post more info about the subs please.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Charles_R_H 
Copper - Posts: 122
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2004 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  

like stated above, series the voice coils, this will give you 2, 12 ohm loads, then parallel and bridge into the amp

this is as close to running full power of the amp as you will get without burning it up or blowing fuses

electronics run off of smoke, when you let the smoke out they stop working
xTimx 
Copper - Posts: 354
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2004 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  
screw that noise (pardon my language) i have 2 12" MA audio 12d6 subs, and i had them wired up to a 400S RF amp, wired in series parralel bridged to the amp. mounted in a sealed enclouser inverted. and it hammered hard. literally, the DB scale was 139.6 DB's i was very impressed. and you think they wont pound. shame shame shame on you man. where are you from anyways?!
xTimx
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2004 at 8:11 PM / IP Logged  

Here is how to wire the subs to this amp properly. It will be the safest load for this amplifier to power and it should pound just fine (depending on the box).

2 DVC drivers with Voice Coils in Series / Parallel
Connecting the two voice coils of each driver in series (+ to -) and the drivers themselves in parallel (+ to +, etc.) will result in the following impedances:
Two Dual-6 Ohm Subwoofers =  6 Ohms mono
6 ohm dual coil -- posted image. Down below is how not to wire the subs, this will result in a 1.5 ohm mono load that your amplifier was not designed to run, thus something is going to smoke and smoke good.
2 DVC drivers with Voice Coils in Parallel/
Connecting the voice coils of each driver in parallel (+ to +, - to -) and the drivers themselves in parallel (+ to +, etc.) will result in the following impedances:
Two Dual-6 Ohm Subwoofers = 1.5 Ohms mono
6 ohm dual coil -- posted image.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
jarvy 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2004 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  
i have 8 connections on each subwoofer heres a diagram how i have it hooked up right now, i haev a box built too but it sounds REAL bad 6 ohm dual coil -- posted image.
jarvy
jarvy 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2004 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  
jarvy
jarvy 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2004 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged