Member spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2004 at 4:15 PM / IP Logged  
copy and paste links
jarvy
xTimx 
Copper - Posts: 354
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2004 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  
dont use that hook up diagram that you have. hook the subs up to the diagram that forbidden put up, (the first diagram) you'll be safe, and pleased to know the output of the subs as well. (trust us on this one)
xTimx
Charles_R_H 
Copper - Posts: 122
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2004 at 9:36 PM / IP Logged  
LOL does anybody think there is a difference in a rockford amp and a m.a. amp????
electronics run off of smoke, when you let the smoke out they stop working
12-volt_guy 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2004 at 3:22 PM / IP Logged  
Actually, since you are using a 2-channel amp that must be bridged if you connect all the voice coils together, wiring it parallel will not result in 1.5 Ohms, but instead 0.75 Ohms.  A bridged amplifier sees HALF of the overall speaker impedance.  So, even with the series/parallel wiring method, your amp is running at 3 Ohms, not 6.  In this case, you might as well just keep the amp in 2-channel mode and wire each woofer's VC's parallel, thus resulting in the same 3 Ohms per channel.

BRIDGED AMP:
(1) 6-Ohm DVC wired parallel = 3 Ohms.  (2) 3-Ohms parallel = 1.5 Ohms.  1.5 divided by 2 = 0.75 Ohms.
(1) 6-Ohm DVC wired series = 12 Ohms.  (2) 12-Ohms parallel = 6 Ohms.  6 divided by 2 = 3 Ohms.

UNBRIDGED AMP:
(1) 6-Ohm DVC sub per channel parallel = 3 Ohms
(1) 6-Ohm DVC sub per channel series = 12 Ohms

3 Ohms is the best solution.  There is no need to bridge the amp.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2004 at 7:28 PM / IP Logged  
12 volt guy, you are correct that an amp will see half the load but when an amp is rated at say 2 ohm mono stable, then it is saying that I can hook up two 4 ohm voice coils in parallel and bridge the amp safely. Manufacturs take into account that most people wont know about the amp seeing half so instead of confusing the masses they just make life easy. I do agree that running the amp in 3 ohm stereo is about the best solution in this case, or you can do 6 ohm mono, it doesnt much matter.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2004 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  
either do what they told you, or you can go get one more of these subs, and then u can get an even 4 ohm load and wire them bridged.
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
12-volt_guy 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2004 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged  
Ravendarat wrote:
12 volt guy, you are correct that an amp will see half the load but when an amp is rated at say 2 ohm mono stable, then it is saying that I can hook up two 4 ohm voice coils in parallel and bridge the amp safely. Manufacturs take into account that most people wont know about the amp seeing half so instead of confusing the masses they just make life easy.

That may be true, but his post stated the amp at 4-Ohms Mono.  I find that most amps rate it this way for the reason you state: To avoid confusion.  "4-Ohms Mono" implies that the speaker be 4-Ohms when connected in bridged operation.  This is so the customer, when seeing that the amp is "2-Ohm Stable" doesn't try to connect a 2-Ohm load to it when it's bridged.  Besides, people have a tendency to confuse mono and bridging, which are not the same.  An amp can be run mono without being bridged and a system can have bridged amps running in stereo.  Mono refers to the signal: Whether it is the same in both channels or has discrete information.  Bridging is just the summing of channels together.  A bridged amp does not put out any more power than a non-bridged amp.  The power is determined by the load.

If an amp is rated at 100 w/ch @ 4-ohms and 150 w/ch @ 2-ohms, then it is 300 watts bridged, not because it is bridged, but because it is seeing half of the 4-ohm load (2-Ohms), and 150 x 2 = 300.

Just clearing this up for benefit of the novices.
jarvy 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2004 at 10:00 AM / IP Logged  
no worries, i took those subs back, and bought a 1500 rms 4 ohm DVC VISOINK 15 inch woofer, modified my box to fit a single 15,  man this thing pumps... ill have pics in a couple days. my box literally bounces in my trunk cause its not bolted down yet.
jarvy
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2004 at 10:08 AM / IP Logged  
Yes 12 volt this is true but when a company states that the power rating is given as 4 ohm mono you will also notice that the power rating is given at a rating x1 channel implying it is bridged. Also I understand that bridging and mono is different but you cannot get  sub to be in mono on an amp unless you either bridge the amp or use rca y cables. Once again a company that makes this equpment understands what the masses level of understanding is which is why on almost every single amp you look when it gives a rating for 4 ohm mono it is the same as a rating for 4 ohm bridged because that is what the company is refering to. Now back to the question at hand............. Howdo you have this new sub woofer wired up, because I have a bad feeling its wired down to 2 ohms and that amp is not capable of doing that if you hooked it up bridged to the amp.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic