clifford alarm/remote start not working

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
astro88 
Copper - Posts: 195
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2004 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  

Its in a 93 olds 88 rls which i just bought ,

The remote start wont work and after trying it the car will not start by key either?I have to get under car and jump starter with a screwdriver and she fires right up.

As for the alarm it wont work either,The led light on the dash just stays lit constant and when pushing the arm button on the remote i get nothing but flashing marker lights, no chirp chirp or honk honk?

if i hold the arm button down for 2 secs the siren will sound until i hit the button again then it will go off.

I dont know what model it is cause i dont even know were to find it?

Any help here is aprreciated!

Dutchtouch 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: September 17, 2004 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  

Sounds like it might be in "valet mode".

As for it not starting with the key, sounds like it might have a "anti-grind/starter kill Relay".  Pull the dash and look for a relay wired inline with the yellow or purple starter wire in the ignition harness.

Hope this helps,

Dutch

First Class M.E.C.P. Certified & 310K Licensed
Electronic Installer
astro88 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2004 at 7:26 AM / IP Logged  

Thanx i'll check on that.

What is valet mode anyway, please excuse me but i dont know too much about alarm systems.

What i would like to do is disable the remote start all together as i wont use it and just keep the alarm...if i can get it working?

Were would an installer put the brain for this thing? under the dash somewere? I'll try and find it so at least i can get the model # so maybe yous guys can diagnose easier.

Oh also theres a toggle switch under the dash? is this for the alarm/remote start in some way?

TIA

Dutchtouch 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2004 at 11:31 AM / IP Logged  

Valet mode is a setting that all Remote Starters & Alarms have, usually there is a switch under the dash connected to the Brain.  Valet mode is used when you don't want people playing with your alarm (like a car jockey) or if you are having work done on the vehicle.

The toggle switch you mentioned is most likely the valet switch, flip it once to the opposite position and try the remote again.

Typically the brain for these units are installed under the drivers side dash.  Drop the dash and look for a black plastic box about 4 x 6 with a bunch of white plastic plugs going into it.  It should be wire(cable) tied somewere under there.

As for disabling the remote start find your ignition harness that goes to the key cyclinder and tell me if there is a Purple or a Yellow wire, all wires in the ignition harness on your car should be approx. 10 gauge wires.  The ignition harness is usually where power is drawn from, for remote starts/alarms.

Dutch

Electronic Installer
astro88 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2004 at 11:46 AM / IP Logged  

I will check all that stuff, One more thing to add, Is there a wire from the remote starter that goes directly to starter?

The reason i ask is that sometimes the car will not start without even trying the remote start thing,

I have to get under it and jump the starter the same way, the terminals do look a little corroded and the starter itself is only about 6 months old so i was told by the previous owner.

I will not have a chance to check on those things until tomorrow(sunday) so i'll post about my finds then.

Thanx Dutch!

astro88 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2004 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  
Just flicked the toggle switch quickly and no helpclifford alarm/remote start not working -- posted image.
Dutchtouch 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 18, 2004 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  

There is no wire that goes directly to the starter.  Usually all the wires tie into the ignition harness.

The reason your car won't start is probably because you have what is known as a "Anti-Grind/Starter Kill" Relay.  These are used with alarms to make a car more difficult to steal.

Picture of a Relay http://www.talbotco.com/cibie_pics/relay_bosch.jpg

Find your ignition harness and look for a Yellow or Purple wire about 10 -12 guage in size.  Follow this wire up to the back of the key cylinder and down to the plug on the stearing colum and see if it is cut or joined to any other wires.  If this harness is untouched then check the main harness feeding the fuse box and look for the same color wire.

The ignition harness will contain these wires;

Red or RED / White              + 12 volt constant

Pink                                   - Primary Ignition

Orange                              - Acc

Brown                                - Acc

Yellow or Purple              - Starter output

Also look in the engine compartment, along the fenders or near the grill for a "hood pin".  A "hood pin or pin switch" is used with Remote Starts as a safety measure and with Alarms as a way of protecting the hood.

These screw up all the time either because of rust or they become loose.  This could be causing your problem as well. 

The following is a link of pictures of different kinds of pin switches take a look at these, then look for one under the hood of your car.

http://www.scorpion-security.com/auto/pin_switches.htm

Hope this helps,

Dutch

Electronic Installer
jimmeezgolfvr6 
Silver - Posts: 258
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2004 at 6:40 AM / IP Logged  
just to satisfy my curiousity, would you happen to have found out the model of the clifford alarm/ remote starter? when was it installed.....just recently or a long time ago? did this problem result from the install or did it just happen one day out of the blue? what do the remotes look like?
i'm assuming that your ignition does turn on since you say that you can jump start it with a screw driver at the starter itself. try this...turn your ignition on, and move that toggle switch to the opposite direction that it's currently in. does your LED turn off? if yes, does the alarm make any noises upon arming and disarming? if no, then that toggle switch is probably for something else (or it may be damaged).
another way to go about it is to try to remove as much of the alarm/remote starter wiring that you can around the main ignition harness, and any factory wires that have been cut, re-connect them. if you still can't start your car with your key then, it should be something else unrelated to the remote starter. if it does start with the key, then the better suggestion would be to drive it to a professional to have a look.
i don't wish to offend you, but it sounds like your a newbie to this sort of stuff and it may take a little too much time and effort for you to sort this one out. fixing problems that you've created yourself may be manageable, but fixing problems made by someone else takes some time and patience (and a lot of know-how).
good luck!
all problems can be resolved with a hammer
astro88 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2004 at 7:20 AM / IP Logged  

Newbie eh? Does it realy show that much?lol

I,m gonna look under the dash today for the model # and the wiring.

I just bought this car last week and it came this way. I dont know how old the install is.

Upon flicking the switch under the dash theres no change, led stays on and i cant get the alarm to arm.

When trying the remote start i can hear some clicking under the dash,can also hear the fuel pump prime,but no start.

The car may start all day with key but as soon as i try the remote start and no start,then turn the key and no start either?

Then jump the starter and she starts, shut it off and start again no problem, Try remote again,no start, try key again....no start??

I also tried the remote with the key in the ignition and it did not work

I will try however to diagnose this problem myself with the help of you fine folks here and if i feel its over my head i will take to a shop.

I'll be backclifford alarm/remote start not working -- posted image.

JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2004 at 9:52 AM / IP Logged  
Find the alarm/remote starter brain and pull the fuses going to it out. It will disable everything having to do with the alarm/remote start.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic