icon

What do you guys suggest about DIY?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tgctruly 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2004 at 5:10 PM / IP Logged  

Hi, alarm pros, I have read some post right here that when people installing the alarm theirselves and come here to ask the question that help them finish the installation.  Here is my case, I have a 1999 honda civic coupe with a dealer alarm I added when I bought the car.  Unfortunately, the 400$ alarm is a piece of junk that got my car stripped for 3 times either window break in/stripped.  Now, I am looking the top of line alarm just coming out "compustar 2wss-as" to replace the junk in my automatic civic.  The question is, how difficult are they? and is it possible that I can finish install it too just like others can?  Notice, I just finish built an amp/hu/speakers in my car including all the wire changing/running and stuff.  Definitely worth learning there about 2 weeks from a completely newbie to at least know how to install some car audio.  I am a well learning guy that sure got enjoyment when installing the car audio and of course, I did lots asking and research before I make any step that I am not positive with.  I know there are pro here in this forums about alarms, so I need the suggestion/help about install the alarm myself.  Tks for your time reading and I appreciate for any advice about DIY from you!!  Inadditoin, the compustar alarm is a alarm/remote start combo, and I am wondering if I am going to take off the brain/shocksensor of the alarm I have now and just replace them on the same location?  Or there's other better location to mount the new parts?

Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2004 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged  
DONT ADVERTISE, PARK SMART, BE AWARE, RUN STEALTH
That is the first thing you need to change in your life style.
Installation, planning, layering, and more layering is what will slow them down. This does not mean you will not get smashed, or vandalized.
You are also selecting a poor aszz product to protect your investment.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
tgctruly 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2004 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  

You don't get my point there, don't ever think that I am guy advertise my stuff alot since I only have some basic for car audio, how do I advertise even without subs?  I am definitely asking about the alarm installation DIY not about anything related to my driving style while I don't usually/want go to sh*tty place.  Don't ever think about I am those little youngster kids that like to show off or somewhat.  I am 23 years old student in University of California Irvine.  Don't judge my lifestyle by looking at a Civic, that's a disrespect  for me, Installation/planning/layering sounds good and I take it.

tgctruly 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2004 at 6:00 PM / IP Logged  
And please don't mess with my post since I am looking for suggestion about DIY.
Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2004 at 6:23 PM / IP Logged  
You obviously missed the point of the bold letters. That alone accounts for 90% of security.
Anyone who thinks different, is not using common sense. As to messing with your post, that would not be the case.
You asked for feed-back, you got it. You already stated you had your vehicle stripped 3 times.
Consider the reason why??? What does your age or the vehicle have to do with what I just stated above??
I think you are reading into things way too much.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2004 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  

If I were you I would be suspect of the people i hang around with.  3 times?!  Daaaaamn!  I am a freshman when it comes to alarms/auto starts/keyless entry (only done 3) so I am aware of the difficulty of these systems.  I consider them much harder then a standard component speakers/head unit/amps/subwoofer.  However, if you have the right tools and patience you can do it definitely, maybe.  Get a DMM, be patient, plan, take your time, its not a race.  You should know the risks of screwing this up though, it could be costly and if your willing to drop 400 the security system, maybe the 150 for installation is not so bad?

I am sure you will find this website helpful and the people on it willing to aid you.  Don’t take Teken's comments as a attack, its not.  He is telling you the truth; DONT ADVERTISE, PARK SMART, BE AWARE, RUN STEALTH    Quite honestly I have to wonder what you are doing, were you are doing it and who you are doing it with to get your sh*te jacked up 3 times in a relatively short period of time.  You can do anything you want, but if you engage in risky behavior nothing can help you in the long run.

Re-using the same location will have allot to do with the size of the new unit and your ability to maneuver in the space provided.
xtremeaudio 
Copper - Posts: 174
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2004 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged  

compustar is not easy to install the best way for you if you see some install for one time and you can do it by your selt as you can see on compustar install guide mess go to web compustar and click on suppot and click on dear suppot and get install cm3000 that way is more easy for you to install

tgctruly 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2004 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  

Things just don't get smooth sometimes, especially here in LA, where almost every city has high crime of auto theft.  My car is getting into troubles for 3 times, and yes that's true but not everytime the car was stolen, only the 2nd time I pretty much lost every gear.  1st & 3rd times are window break in, and I didn't lose as much as the 2nd times since it only cost theft like 1-2 minutes to break in.  I apologize for criticize the post from tekken, and other than that, I am looking for the diy part as my major concern since I am just about to get the alarm in next couple days. 

NINsane18 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2004 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  
If you know how to take things apart carefully, have patience and time, and know how to use a multi-meter, you should be okay. Learn how to solder if you do not know how, and use the search option on this site for questions. Everyone has to start somewhere. I installed a couple of alarms before, and was nervous to install a remote start, but after doing some research on this site, and reading the install manuals that came with the rs, I had no trouble. You will be fine, and if you do have questions, ask here. These guys will not talk down to you.
Tim-May!
tgctruly 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2004 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged  
cool tks there, by the way, do most alarm come with installation manuals? and to xtremeaudio: The installation manual doesn't come with the alarm?  I went check out the web, and I see the owner manual which didn't tell any installation step, and the cm3000 I checked is with notes, things I need to becareful with, is there anyone who got this alarm and having the step by step installation guide, if so that will be very important for me to get, and if not, I will take my time do the research first.  Tks you all helping me on that!
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic