icon

Loudest sub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2004 at 9:15 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys, this is just a thread for kicks. I wanna know what ONE sub, mated to a real 1000 watt amp, say.. the JL Audio 1000/1 amp would be the loudest. I dont care if u go from 34" audio bahn to 18 inch kicker. Anything, but only one. and in what type of enclosure. This is just for fun. But, if there is enough response for one sub, i might look into it. Thanks.
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2004 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  
Any one with a big throw in a TL box.  Its all in the box dude. 
I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2004 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  
i know that. not what im lookin for. i wanna know what sub people think will be the loudest with 1000 watts.
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 19, 2004 at 9:30 PM / IP Logged  
Re word it to be, , the loudest sub, in the best box for each sub.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 19, 2004 at 10:52 PM / IP Logged  

Are you trying to be loudest at one note, or are you trying to be loudest over the full bottom octaves (a "daily driver" system).  If the former, then you want a purpose built SPL sub like what DD offers, or other similar companies.  This subs have very little linear travel, but huge BL and a great deal of suspension travel.  They also tend to have a pretty high Qts. and Fs.  But if you are looking for it to sound good to, then there is no replacement for displacement.  That is where you want to find a sub with the most excursion capabilities and a decent frequency response (decent Q and Fs).

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2004 at 1:27 AM / IP Logged  
hmmmm, every body seems to be beating around the bush on this one. I dont know if you are going to find one that is clear cut the loudest at this level but I would probally look at a MTX 9500. I have been super impressed with them and know that a 1000 watts would please the power gods very much. I gotta think that some of your big cone area drivers are gonna preform well as well. I know JL used to make a 18 w3 that would hammer, but I dont know if they still make it. Kicker also makes a 18 but I think its a lower end model, they also make a 18 inch solo x but that isnt gonna run real well off 1000 watts. I have no faith in audiobahn, so that 34 inch may be loud, but only for a few weeks until it implodes on itself. This question is one that I dont think you are going to get a strait out answer for that you can bank on. Also I hear good things about the adire audio subs but dont have any experience with them. Also I would like to say "just compare the numbers" but everyone seems to lie about their products so I have all but given up in trusting the manufactures spec sheets and depend more on certain product reps that I trust.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 20, 2004 at 2:10 AM / IP Logged  

Ravendarat wrote:
Also I hear good things about the adire audio subs but dont have any experience with them. 

Hey Ravendarat, where in Canada are you at?  If you are anywhere near Seattle, you should come down sometime and stop by the shop.  I can give you a good demo of our stuff.  Plus it would be great to meet you in person.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2004 at 10:28 AM / IP Logged  
Magnat Agressor 5000 Death Match.  That is, until the released version of the Adire Parthenon is built.  :()
Support the12volt.com
heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2004 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged  

You're not going to get a strait answer, its to subjective a question.  When your talking about large cone, long throw subwoofers; they are all loud!  The question as to what type of balance you are trying to strike is the larger question.  Sacrifice a little spl for SQ?  Kill the sq and go for the SPL?  This is just a useless question to me, I don’t have any interest in squeezing all the spl i can out of a sub to get one big bass note. 

If there was a answer to this question competition would have already proven it right? Everyone would be running Brand X Subwoofer in the winner’s circle in the Type X Enclosure and may the one with the most junk win!  The fact is the loudest sub out there is only louder by unmeasureable margins.

Yes, JL made a 18w3 http://www.caraudiomag.com/testreports/0106cae_jl/ was it loud?  Yes.  The loudest ever? I dunno. Browes that same site for reviews on the kenwood spl sub, Pioneer 2000, w7, w6 and other "loud" subs.

pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2004 at 11:30 AM / IP Logged  
Digital Designs subs are very loud. So is the MMATS juggernaut, and Kicker 18" solobaric.  Yes JL does still make the 18W3, I just read a review of it in car audio and electronics, heres a link to it: http://www.caraudiomag.com/testreports/0106cae_jl/index.html
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic