icon

1 sub vs. 2 subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
00silverga 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2004 at 11:40 AM / IP Logged  

how much of an better, if any, would it be to have one good quality 12 like a pioneer premeer ts w2000 than two 12's that would cost about the same price together.  I know there are some deals for decent subs at that price.  ANy suggestions?

Thanks

/r7 
Silver - Posts: 340
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2004 at 11:52 AM / IP Logged  
what are the other 2 12's yur thinking of buying?
if the sub enclosures are built to optimal specs for each respective sub, i would say a quality pioneer would be worth it over, 2 12's, unless for some reason, you run them in stereo mode for the type of music you prefer. either way, 1 12 should give you the bass you need
00silverga 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2004 at 12:09 PM / IP Logged  
i didnt have any in mind, i was just wondering about for the price of around 250 one or two, any brand, best bang for my buck
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2004 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged  

It all depends upon many factors.  Box, amp, type of sub, ect.  You could go with something like a JL 12w7 (500 watts w/ excellent sq) in a sealed box or two JL 10w6 and pay bout $20 more but be getting 800 watts for both subs and then put those in a vented enclosure and come out with probably louder and just as nice sounding system.  But w/ the two tens you might want a stronger amp to recieve the sub's full performance.  That's just one example.  Like I said the possiblilities are endless.

/r7 
Silver - Posts: 340
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2004 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  
if you dont have any specific pair of subs in mind, and your only thinking about the pioneer, you'd probably be just as satisfied with it as a pair of lesser quality 12's that work out to the same price.
but if you have a price range in mind, and you 'want' options, i would take a look at other brands,
i hear alot of talk about
Adire, and the XBL2 technology, RE also takes advantage of this technology too i believe. but even aside from those 2 companies theres many others out there that should satisfy your bass hunger
hth
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2004 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged  
I would rather run one good subs with perfect power then 2 subs lower quality and struggle to get the power i need
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2004 at 1:04 AM / IP Logged  
well we could sit here and get into some technicalites of dB gain with the second woofer but from my personal experience, one sub is just as good. Right now I'm pushing a rockford punch HE sub with full power. As it stands its louder then my old system with 2 12" Xplods and much louder than my first system which was 4 10" Rockford Punch Z's. I have it setup for almost nothing but bass reflex as it fires strait up from the spare wheel compartment.
I'm a firm believer in 1 quality sub over any number of cheaper subs.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
00silverga 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2004 at 9:20 AM / IP Logged  

sorry   /r 7 i didn't write that very clearly im not only looking at pioneer, just an example

any other suggestions with price are greatly appreciated

Wiseguy 
Copper - Posts: 159
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2004 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  

i always liked the sound of just one sub but thats just me

btw doesnt adding another sub only give u 3 more db anyways, so i figure whats the point

Clarion DXZ745MP
Kove ZX504
Kove AG1400
Kove 12" T3 Armageddon
Kove 6.5" Compaxials
WILDER 6.5" Pro-Audio Drivers
Custom Pre-amp
heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2004 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  

Straight away, one quality sub over two lesser ones.  While I totally agree that a cheap sub can sound its best in a very well constructed, well conceived (designed) enclosure;  the bass will always seem sub-par to a high quality subwoofer a proper enclosure.  I would rather have SQ over SPL any day and who could possibly say that 1 12 is not loud?  I cannot say enough that people who listen to my 1 10w3 system tell me its far preferable to their 2 cheap sub system.

Don’t be afraid to go with that high quality 12 and skip on those two cheap ass speakers.  Be ready to build a solid box and get the amplifier to power that bad-boy.  I can personally recommend the W3v2, w6 and w7 (al JL).  Never even heard an Adire, but the hold very high acclaim with those who have.  The HX2 Rockfords, Alpine Type S and Infinity Kappa Perfect are all good subwoofers.  Depends on if you want to sacrafice a little spl for sq, but all of those subs sound "good".

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic