icon

having problems keeping the amp on

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dave25456 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2004 at 5:18 PM / IP Logged  
I was doing a  freind some help installing his amp and hu when we ran into a problem.I put in a kenwwod hu and a 400w profile amp .Now I connected all the car speakers and two "8 subwoofer .The problem I am having is when I turned on the amp the amp will shut off and turn on constantly causing the speakers to make a popping noise when it did that .Now I tested that amp in my car with the headunit but I threw in my dual 12" 1000w lanzar speakers and worked fine which makes my head scarcth any help will be appriciated.thanx
dave25456
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2004 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  
throw it in your car again, , but with the 8" subs hooked up, , i bet there shorting out.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
furflier 
Copper - Posts: 236
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2004 at 5:31 PM / IP Logged  
Check your power & ground wire.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 21, 2004 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  
check the wires on the subs make sure none are touching each other or the basket
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
jimmeezgolfvr6 
Silver - Posts: 258
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2004 at 2:19 AM / IP Logged  
also, how's the condition of the car battery? strong enough to start the car with ease?
all problems can be resolved with a hammer
Chad7n7 
Silver - Posts: 408
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2004 at 9:57 AM / IP Logged  

what is the impedience of these 8's, sounds you may be improperly loading this amplifier, causing it to go into "protection" mode.

heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2004 at 10:49 AM / IP Logged  
Do what Alpine guy said. Thats were my best quess is.  WooT! 
xtreamcc 
Silver - Posts: 467
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 22, 2004 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  
The comming on and cutting off is a typical Ohm load problem. Check ur speakers connections because ur overloading the amp somewhere.
"Shiny chrome when used in conjunction with bikini models is particularly effective in inducing brain deficit disorder"
02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Monster System on its way.
dave25456 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2004 at 4:53 PM / IP Logged  
how do you check the power or ground  wire to see if that is the problem?
dave25456
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2004 at 5:01 PM / IP Logged  
Disconnect all the speaker wires and the rca cables. Make sure that the connection on the power / ground and remote on wires are nice and tight. Make sure that there is not a single small strand of wire that might be touching the amp or another terminal. Make sure that where the amp is grounded to, the connection is clean and tight. If the amp is stil turning on and off, then the magic amplifier dust has escaped and the amp will need to go in for service. If the amp is fine, then plug in the rca cables. If it starts to go on and off, you know where to start looking for the problem. Run a new rca cable from the cd player over the seats to the amp. Did this solve the problem? If this was not the problem then look at the speaker wires and how the wires are attached to the subs. Post up the results.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic