icon

What is the statement mean?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mrdragon 
Copper - Posts: 121
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2004 at 3:41 AM / IP Logged  
Guys just wondering what is this msg mean....
"Power handling below the port tuning is poor to the point of damaging the woofer if excessive power is applied, due to driver unloading (as if it is working in free air)".
Is that mean overpower your sub and damaging the woofer??
tbirdman74 
Copper - Posts: 164
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2004 at 3:48 AM / IP Logged  
Basically means that without some sort of physical resistance like you would have in a sealed enclosure, if you apply too much power, the woofer will travel too far and damage the suspension and/or voice coils.  I have seen them shoot cones clean out of basket, though that was an extreme 12-pack demonstration just to prove that it could happen.
If it don't fit, Force it.
If it breaks, You needed a new one anyway!
sparkie 
Platinum - Posts: 2,061
Platinum spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2004 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged  
It means that the enclosure has be tuned to a certain frequency. This frequency is calculated for many different reasons/applications. If you know what frequency the box/woofer was tuned to, then any frequnecies below this point will cause the woofer to increase in it's excursion. The more power you apply to the woofer at those lower frequencies will cause the woofer to start to behave like it's not in an enclosure anymore. The woofer will start to distort. If too much power at those lower frequencies is applied, you can blow your woofer up.   Understanding the characteristics of different enclosure styles/types is a fairly lenghty topic. Research is required. There is no "BEST" box style. Each type has pros and cons.
sparky
mrdragon 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2004 at 11:19 PM / IP Logged  

OK my 12" sub manufacture recommended ported 1.74 cu feet, but i build the box  1.42 and tune it to 45 herts, would there be problems?

Kicker EX 124 125WRMS @ 4 Ohm

Kenwood amp BRIDGED  150WRMS @ 4 Ohms

I already set the amp gain properly, just the box size smaller then what the manual stated, and it's tune to 45 herts.

lspker 
Silver - Posts: 503
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2004 at 11:39 PM / IP Logged  
If your going to tune the box that high, and are conserned with box size, why not just go sealed?  Your box will still require you to pay attention when running it.  If you had an infasonic fillter set it near 45 hz.
mrdragon 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2004 at 11:46 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry not sure what u mean there....but i did try seal it sound not that punchy!
/r7 
Silver - Posts: 340
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2004 at 8:04 AM / IP Logged  
you tried to seal the ported sub box you made?
probably didnt sound good because the size for a properly sealed box was not met or achieved. and how did you seal it? duct tape over the port?
and remember sealed subs require more power,
mrdragon 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2004 at 8:11 AM / IP Logged  

Ok i have decided to go for ported it sound much better, but i need to understand the box tuning...someone pointed to me that 42 herts is better then 45 herts basis on the box volume 1.42 cu feet instead of 1.75 which was from the manufacture spec. My sub is Kicker EX 124 125WRMS @ 4 Ohms.

Does it matter building the box smaller then what i was on the spec???

btw i just got the spec for my sub (KICKER EX124)

- Sensitivity : 88.5dB

- Frequency Response : 24-1000Hz
- RMS Power : 125W
- Peak Power : 250W
- Impedence : 4 ohm

-Enclosure Volume 1.75 cf (ported)

Is this a good sub by looking at the spec???

Cheers :)

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2004 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  
It sounds like a descent sub but you never know until you listen to it. I would tune it much lower then what the manufacture says though (maybe around 34 hz or so). What will happen after you play frequencies below the frequency the box is tuned to, is that the driver will travel too far and over excur (which = a blown woofer).
mrdragon 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 25, 2004 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  

when you said lower the frwqeuncy ....isn't that mean 34 is higher????

Cheers :)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic