icon

Wrapping dash

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hersheyloc 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2004 at 1:13 PM / IP Logged  

Hey, my buddy and I are planning on recarpeting the interior of his Cutlass, including the dash and door panels. In past experiences, I found that certain materials didn't stretch well, and I ended up with some areas where I had to cut out wrinkles. Needless to say, it didn't look all too great. Any tips on how to lay down fabric over the dash, and prevent havgin wrinkles and folds? Thanx

Hersh

realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2004 at 7:21 AM / IP Logged  
I've never done and covering dashes or anything before but, I would suggest what if you glued one section at a time. Let that section dry and then glue the next one so you could keep coforming and stretching the fabric, a little at a time instead of all of it at one time.
hersheyloc 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2004 at 11:53 AM / IP Logged  
Ya I was thinking of doing the same thing. Maybe using some contact cement. Glueing down a small section, then streching it from there. I guess a real stretchy fabric will be needed.
hurtado_roberto 
Copper - Posts: 196
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 28, 2004 at 12:16 PM / IP Logged  

Would you guys suggest worming up the fabric so it stretches easier before begining the install.  It all depends on the fabric dow.  I helped a friend put some carpet on his speakerbox that matched the interior color and we did have some truble on the corners of his awquard box.

Poly Dollies
kronik66 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2004 at 12:32 AM / IP Logged  

what type of fabric are you planning on using?

with vinyl heat will work to conform to curves, 3m actualy makes heat activated spray adheisive that works great for that type of application.

with carpet just make sure you get felt type carped (typicaly used on boxes) because it stretches easier, and if you absolutely have to cut to fit make sure you cuts line up perfect and rub some medium grit sand paper over the area and the cuts will dissapear.

the easiest faberic to cover a dash with is tweed. it is loosely woven jusat like fiberglass cloth and will naturaly want to conform to the dash.

";p
Overcranked23 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2004 at 8:49 PM / IP Logged  
Carpet is tough stuff you have a choice of two things that you need to keep in mind is it backed or non backed carpet they make both a backed type of carpet is what we used to use a the the speaker company I worked for which is great for boxes that are square a non backed type of carpet will be what you need for a dash board, you will have seems make your cuts clean and think before you do them how will you match up your lines when I wrap boxes I use 3 pieces one long wrap covers 4 sides and two smaller one for the uncovered sides. a strait edge and razor and when your good at it you can't see any seams. one good trick on your seems is you can play a razor back and forth between the two fabrics cuttiing in two each other and blend them it helps
don't fowl the track
ambientshadow 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2004 at 10:43 PM / IP Logged  

i agree with kronik... using a spray adhesive (even the non-heat-activated kind) will help huge-time...

boom.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic