icon

Starter Duration

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jkyliej 
Copper - Posts: 101
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2004 at 12:29 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks to your help I was able to finish my remote start installation last night.  Everything works fine with one exception.

The starter stays engaged for about 0.5 seconds too long when starting the truck.  I have tach sensed three times now and still the same.  I have bitched about AUTOPAGE's installation manual before and again it gets me.  Under initial start and adjustments section (remember that all these directions below are still under the rpm learning section but after performing the rpm learn proceedure in a step called "check level programming") It states "press * once to start the vehicle.  If the crank time is too long, (engine not started, crank time is too short) press the trunk buton on the transmitter to set the proper "check level" to low position."  First of all if you read the bold section carefully it makes no sense.  Let me finish the second part.  "If the crank time is too short, (engine not running, while stops cranks) press the trunk button on the transmitter to set proper "check level" to hi position.  Ok, although full of mispells I can make a bit more sense of it.  However,  I have done this and it seems to make no difference between hi and low level settings.  The starter still stays engaged a bit too long. 

Besides, I thought a tach learn feature deleted the need for setting stater crank durations, it is supposed to know when the engine kicks off and kill the power to the starter instantly. 

Has anyone had experience with this?

P.S. Door locks worked awsome. Thanks for the help last night.

jkj
Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2004 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged  
Just putting it out there, so bare with me. You are sure that the unit is installed with a true tach sense, and not a voltage sense, correct?
If yes, then disconnect the battery / fuse to the system. Let it sit for about 30 seconds, and once again do the tach learning procedure.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
jkyliej 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2004 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  

I will check my tach sense wire again.  I will kill power to it as well to see if I can reset it.  In the meantime I set the starter duration to 0.6 under a voltage sense config and it is about right.  I still would prefer a tach sense for its over rev kill ability and cold starts that may take longer than normal.

jkj
Teken 
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2004 at 4:53 PM / IP Logged  
You will have to refresh my memory as to where you elected to connect your tach signal.
Perhaps you should try another tach source, that is generally one of the reasons for a inconsistent RS.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
jkyliej 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2004 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  
I chose the white wire coming from the coil near the passenger side of the engine bay.  Should be good.
jkj
Teken 
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 29, 2004 at 6:24 PM / IP Logged  
Try another tach source such as the injector(s). See if that makes a difference.
You will be selecting one of the wires which are uncommon to the others on the injectors.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
jkyliej 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2004 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged  

Ok.  I tried again to program tach learning and it seemed to be sucessful but still I get a starter that hangs on too long.  Regardless of whether I am in a High check or Low check test config.  In fact they don't seem to make one bit of difference.  I am hesitant to hook up the tach learn to my injectore for two reasons:

1. I have boaught a wiring diagram for the truck and verified that the white wire coming from the coil that I am spliced into is indeed a tach output. 

2. I don't trust this half baked remote start to not fry an injector if I attach it to it.

The instal book directs me to hook the tach learning wire to the negative side of the coil.  Is this different from what is typical in the business?  I thought the tach wire typically read a POSITIVE voltage of between 1 and 6 normally.  Have I got this thing hooked up to a positive source when it is actually looking for a negative read source? 

jkj
jkyliej 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2004 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  

bobk: Thank you.  I was doing some other research and found the white wire I am using (which feeds the tach in my gauge cluster) is the negative side of the coil.  So I am using the correct wire.  So what gives with this thing?  Either it is a cheezy tach sensing feature or faulty remote start. Either that or someone will figure out what I may have done wrong.  This morning I wrote an e-mail to AUTOPAGE asking for guidance from above but thay have not blessed me with a response as of yet. 

jkj
Teken 
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2004 at 7:35 PM / IP Logged  
One other suggestion you may want to consider if it has not been done, is to install a anti-grind relay.
This assumes that this problem is not tach related. As some vehicle have an over lap or back feed in the ignition cyclinder if there is not a true key in the mechanism, which then causes the starter to latch on, causing the extended gringing you hear.
Just another thing to consider   
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
jkyliej 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2004 at 7:47 PM / IP Logged  

Actually I would like to do that.  They didn't build an anti-grind into the unit and it scares me when I think that my girlfriend will operate the unit/truck with typical disregard to thought.

It would seem that I need a ground that is activated when the remote start is triggered that I can use to activate a relay.  Better way to do this?

I doubt it related though.  When I set the unit to voltage sense and gave it a 0.6 start duration it sounds just right so that would kill the back feed theory.......right?

jkj
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic