icon

Where to get power from?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
vancouverbc 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2004 at 1:28 PM / IP Logged  
I need it to be normally open for arm and closed for unarmed so the output during arm is useless to me. trunk release output would not be sustained long enough for me to start car.
1991 240sx
alarm=model 2620.web central door locking system
snguyen 
Silver - Posts: 281
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2004 at 3:18 PM / IP Logged  

In the end.. if the thief really want your vehicle that bad, they can tow it away.  Alarms are mainly to slow the thief down.  Time is their wrost enemy.   

p0rt21 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2004 at 4:27 PM / IP Logged  
It would have to latch when you want to start it.
Alarm car - relay latches not allowing the car to start
Unarm car - relay doesn't change
Aux/trunk - relay unlatches
Just an idea. Not sure how hard it be. :)
vancouverbc 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2004 at 1:44 AM / IP Logged  

I don't know what auxillary is. I don't think i have it. I don't have any outputs i can time other than door locks. I guess the trunk release would work. I have to press the disarm button for at least 3 seconds and than an output goes to trunk or whereever. the problem would be if i stalled my car in traffic it would create safety issue because it might take too long to start. Thanks for your help. Sorry no one gave you a good answer about power. I like the ide of getting power from under the hood and bringing it in through the firewall. in conjunction with a hood lock this might be good.

1991 240sx
alarm=model 2620.web central door locking system
p0rt21 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2004 at 4:01 AM / IP Logged  
Anyone? Just want to know where the "pros" take there power from :)
Cheers
mo12v 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 2,748
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 06, 2004 at 8:39 AM / IP Logged  

Ignition Switch or Battery...............

Don't forget there are Alarms out there that when you hook up the Parking lights, a theif can just Break the Parking lite and short out the bulb to blow the fuse in the Alarm...........PooF.......no alarm.
Make sure your Parking light wire is fused
BELEIVE it OR NOT !!
Your ALARM is only as good as the Theif who doesn't know

MO
Don't Learn from Others Mistakes
You Might Be the One That Knows.
audiopro111 
Copper - Posts: 160
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2004 at 11:31 PM / IP Logged  
 ok if u don't want it to be messy and look professional but yet tough enough to steal there are many ways to dress the wiring it all depends on how creative u want to get, my suggestion to u as a installer is to dress u'r wiring (cover u'r wires) examples:electrical tape ,cloth tape  or split loom ,basicly when u'r looking under the dash whatever u see your wires covered  with that's what ur gonna cover your wires with the reason i say all this is because of my opinion it's allways been better for me and other installers i know to go to the ignition for power,the whole point is to confuse the thief a little more. I also was reading that u want to hook up a latch or output from your alarm to send a signal to interrupt a circuit ,don't forget that if your alarm offers an output for a starter kill relay it doesn't really mean u have to use it for your starter wire u could use it for an ignition wire or even your fuel pump, the starter  wire is the first thing they go for,mind u this only applies if you are NOT installing a remote start with your alarm
AudioPro111
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2004 at 3:47 PM / IP Logged  

99% of the time, I'll go direct to the main wiring coming down the steering column. Connections here are made solidly with a good soldered connection that you will not have to worry about later on.

mo12v had a good point, while more and more alarms now come with fused outputs for the park light circuit, if yours does not have a fuse on it, put one on it. If a thief can short circuit a bulb out, it may short the brain as well and then no alarm in the world is any good. 

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic