icon

rims tires compared to stock tires

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Mad Scientists 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2004 at 7:16 AM / IP Logged  

Lower profile tires tend to have softer tread compound.. meaning they 'stick' better to the road. They also wear out faster. Look at the wear rating on the tire.. The Michelins Harmonys we have on a couple of our cars have a rating of 560. A Michelin Pilot in the same size may have a rating of only 180. The higher the number the longer the tire will last. www.tirerack.com should have a pretty good article on this.. look for 'tire ratings'.

Balancing a large diameter rim isn't really any different than a 'normal' sized one.. the ability of a shop to balance (and mount) any particular rim size will be determined by what equipment they use.  Same for alignment.. shop equipment might not be able to handle a 22" rim, just put the stock rims back on the car for the alignment, then put the big rims back on. Shouldn't be any problems.

WRT brakes.. when changing rim or tire size, consider the Outside Diameter of the tire.. this determines the revolutions per mile of the tire. A tire sized 205/55-16 has the same OD (and RPM) of a tire sized 185/75-14.  The car won't know the difference. But when you start increasing the OD of the tire over the stock size you start seeing problems with speedometer inaccuracy, possible ABS problems and acceleration problems, as well as possible problems in other areas.

But in a quick google search, I'm not seeing any warnings on big rims causing brake problems.. about the only thing I can think of is that a larger OD would cause a slower rotor RPM at any given speed vs. stock tire OD, but I don't know if that would cause problems. Weight wouldn't really be a concern WRT braking; that's more of a suspension issue.

If anyone can post links to warnings/tech articles, I'd be happy to learn..

Hope this helps,

Jim

AJRXtreme 
Silver - Posts: 302
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2004 at 3:48 AM / IP Logged  
how would I upgrade the brakes. Meaning what part of the brakes should i replace on my old ones.
               Thankyou
03 F150 on 24's
HU:Pioneer DVD5700
Frt:MC57
Subs:(12)S12L7
Amps:(3)KX2500.1's, MC-2004
sk8ingsmurf 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2004 at 8:17 AM / IP Logged  
you would generally just upgrade the rotors (hopefully you have them, if not then just the drums), and while you have the assembly apart change out the pads too.  If the urge struck you you could upgrade the brake likes and possibly even master cylinder, but for this application I see no need.  I would highly recommend cross drilled or slotted rotors (slotted work better but the slots chew apart pads), I am currently driving a 99 expedition with cross drilled rotors and ceramic pads, they cost a litte more but I gotta tell you that in my car you get a lot more done stepping on the brake than the gas.  Gotta love suvs
Mad Scientists 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2004 at 10:03 AM / IP Logged  

From a performace standpoint, upgrading (disc) brakes would start with a better quality brake pad; maybe a upgraded rotor in the same size as the OEM brake rotor. That'll cover 90 something percent of the people out there driving on the street. For the few people who need better brakes because what they've got isn't getting the job done (driving serious on a track), you start looking at multi piston calipers and bigger rotors - ie. a 'big brake' setup.

To fill up a set of big rims,  jump directly to a set of 'big brakes'. Bring your wallet. Bigger diameter rotors, new calipers painted shiny with someone's name on them, new pads, and possibly other stuff.

Here's a kit for 7th generation Civics..

http://www.7thgencivic.com/parts_reviews/showproduct.php/product/73

$1700.

01-04 Sub WRX - $2395.

http://www.stillen.com/brakepros_detail.asp?id=32348&main=1

Regards,

Jim

boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2004 at 1:51 PM / IP Logged  
Cross drilled are good brakes but w/ a drawback (on some, not all brakes are like this but there are quite a few out there).  Cross drilled are exactly that they are drilled across the rotor.  Meanin that there are parts of the brake now missing.  This will sometimes weaken the structure of the rotor when you use the break and cause it to crack.  Look into the rotor and check the actual history of the type of rotor to see how it holds up in real life.
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2004 at 3:46 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, you can balance them with no problem. And alignment shouldn't be a problem either. One thing that I didn't notice anyone commenting on is the OFFSET. Make sure you get the correct offset, or they will sit under the vehicle too far, or sit out past the fender wells. If you get a good tire, they will last. Most companies try to push the cheapest tire they can if you buy the tire & wheel package. Hope this helps. Lewis
'85 Toy
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic