icon

Slow Cranking

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Zilverado 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2004 at 7:40 AM / IP Logged  

So I go to start the vehicle this morning (newly installed ProStart CT-3300). It's below freezing here and it struggles to start. The crank speed doesn't seem as fast as it should be. It tried a few times and then I cancelled it. I went out to start it with the key and she fired right up. It seems to crank faster when using the key.

So did I miss something? I know the vehicle has a second ignition wire, and according to the wiring info on this site, it is identified as ...

Ignition2 - BLACK / YELLOW or BLACK/ Green - Ignition Switch Harness Cold Start Wire

I remember seeing this wire. Should I be somehow tieing into this wire as well? What does "Cold Start Wire" mean?

Zilverado,
Backyard Mechanic
1986 Chevy Truck & 1992 Nissan Pathfinder
jkyliej 
Copper - Posts: 101
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2004 at 11:10 AM / IP Logged  

Sounds like you aren't giving the starter wire enough voltage.  I would think this would be due to a poor 12 volt constatnt wire(s) connection.  Wire gauge too small on primary power connections (12 volt+ supply, and or starter wire).

Read the voltage output of the starter wire with a dmm during a remote start and then compare to a manual start. 

jkj
Zilverado 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2004 at 11:59 AM / IP Logged  

Murph,

I connected the unit to the tach wire (near the coil) and ran the autotach programming. It seemed to pick it up pretty quick.

JKJ,

I connected both power wires from the module (red wires) to the one power wire in my ignition harness. Is this maybe where I'm loosing power? Should I try connecting these to another source? Maybe directly to the battery with a heavy wire?

Zilverado,
Backyard Mechanic
jkyliej 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2004 at 12:28 PM / IP Logged  
This or these constant feed wires should be near the ignition switch.  Basically you want the same wires that feed the ignition switch.  These wires should be at least as heavy as the car's starter wire or larger.
jkj
Zilverado 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2004 at 1:02 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks JKJ,

The vehicle ignition wiring harness has one fairly heavy wire with constant power. I tied BOTH wires from the starter module into this one wire. The new wires were slightly smaller than the single supply wire.

I'm thinking of disconnecting these two new wires and bringing a new heavy feeder wire from another 12V source - possibly directly from the battery. The installation manual talks about this as a potential "lack of power" solution.

Do you think this might be my problem?

Zilverado,
Backyard Mechanic
jkyliej 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2004 at 1:13 PM / IP Logged  
Good idea especially if the install book addresses this partitcular problem and solution....Please make sure to add a fuse to any wire you are going to add to the battery within 18" of that connection at the battery.  That make sense? Also don't forget to use a gromet anywhere the wire passes through the firewall at least.  Let me know if it works.
jkj
Zilverado 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2004 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks again.

The 2 constant power wires coming from the module each have fuses in them (I believe they are 30amp). Do I still need to fuse the new feeder? If "YES", what amperage should it be and is it supposed to be 18" from the battery?

Also, what gauge should the feeder wire be (distance from battery approx. 6 to 8 feet).

Thanks again for the help - - I love the internet... ;-)

Zilverado,
Backyard Mechanic
jkyliej 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2004 at 2:17 PM / IP Logged  

I would still fuse any wire from the battery.  Yes, place the fuse 18" or closer to the battery.  Depending on the gauge wire you use and the load you plan on carrying on it will be factors in determining the fuse.  But if you are only going to suppliment the remote start unit with this wire then I would fuse it at 30 amps also.

The whole purpose is to make sure that wire will go dead if it shorts. If any part of the wire shorts between the battery and your first fuse there will be nothing to keep it from from catching fire, melting something expensive, or randomly welding things. 

Good luck.

jkj
Zilverado 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2004 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks,

So, any recommendation on wire gauge - - just to make sure I have the power I need?

Zilverado,
Backyard Mechanic
jkyliej 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2004 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  

10 to 12 gauge.  Just make sure it is larger if not as large as the heaviest ignition wiring at the key switch.

jkj
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic