icon

questions about DEI 555c

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bad67bug 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2004 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 2003 Dodge Ram pick up with a 5.9 and had a viper 791 xv installed today. I provided the alarm, a proximity sensor, and a 555c for the alarm shop to install. This afternoon the install shop calls me and says they need another key so they can program the 555c. A few hours later theu call and say they cannot get the 555c to work because it is a 2003 model year truck and DEI tech line told them it only works on 2004. However when I did the search on this site I see many people using this bypass on older chryslers and that is doesnt work on some 2004 model year chryslers. What is the deal here should it work with my truck or not?
They put a key in box bypass in and I dont really like the idea of a theif finding the key and driving off with my truck.
Also a few more questions, Does the 555c bypass the sentry system all the time or just when the remote start is in use? Is there any advantage to using the 555c over the key in box type?
Sorry about the long post and thanks for the help,
Ryan
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2004 at 11:38 PM / IP Logged  
A 555c will work in the 2003 Ram.
It will not work on Dodge product that has the V2 of the sentry key (the remote headed key, and the ones with the S stamped into the shaft.) The shop would have needed both master keys to program the 555C.... the easiest trick is to do the tinfoil thing on one key when programming to ensure everything is powering up properly for the sequence (1st key, light out... 2nd key, light out, then back on with ding.... first key with the head wrapped in tinfoil so the car doesen't "see" the RFID chip with the 555C pellet paked beside it until light stops flashing and single ding.)
I believe there is a Directechs bulletin about using tinfoil... dunno the exact number (it's a method that we have been using for awhile)
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
bad67bug 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2004 at 11:43 PM / IP Logged  
That is what I thought, they probably just had a hard time programming it so they made up an excuse to use the easy way out.
So does it bypass the chip all the time or just when using remote start?
bad67bug 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2004 at 11:45 PM / IP Logged  
That is what I thought, they probably just had a hard time programming it so they made up an excuse to use the easy way out.
gus1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2004 at 11:47 PM / IP Logged  
Just during remote start. The integrety of the factory anti theft stays 100% effective at all times. It just makes the vehicle "think" there is a valid key in the ignition (well, in essence, there is.... just the RFID pellet, not the key as a whole). That is the beauty of modern bypass devices... the factory security is never really compromised, we just fool it to make it start.
Gus
bad67bug 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2004 at 11:52 PM / IP Logged  
bad67bug 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2004 at 11:54 PM / IP Logged  
oops, sorry my internet is being lame so I accidently tripple posted.
So what should I tell shop tomorrow? They are still going to put a back up siren and a tilt sensor in.
Thanks,
Ryan
jmr964 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2004 at 8:38 AM / IP Logged  

I just had a 555C give me a hard time.  Spent about 2 hours last night trying to get it programmed into the 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee.  Finally gave up for the night.  Went back out this morning doing absolutely nothing different and it learned it on the first try. 

Jason

bad67bug 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2004 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged  
So when I go back to the shop today is there any special procedures I can tell them about? How hard is it to do it my self if the alarm is already in?
gus1 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2004 at 10:45 AM / IP Logged  
Get them to try learning the 555C the way I described. Put it into programming as usual, but instead of groundeing the wait to start until it learns, wrap the head of one of the known keys with tinfoil, then use it to fire everything up instead of the remote starter when kearning the 555C. You have to be quick wrapping the first key, I do it as the second key is putting the vehicle into customer programming mode... you have all of 15sec to get the tinfoil on. It works.... get them to call Directed and ask about the procedure exactly, I just looked for an infotech for it, and there dosen't appear to be one. I don't know if the US tech support know it, but the Cdn. one definately does.
Gus
PS: There may be an accessory that isn't being powered up.... I forget which one it is. It isn't necessary for remote start, but for some reason, the ECM won't learn a key if every single accessory isn't powered up. Hence using the key wrapped in tinfoil trick
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic