icon

Box sizes

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tomos 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2004 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  
I think this is a really lame question but anyway..
Does anyone have any links to pictures of different size boxes (Sub boxes, not Wheatie Flakes or Cap'n Crack)
I've only ever bought my subs from a dealer who provided them with the correct size box, so having seen different sizes I have NO idea how big in cubit doobits they actually are.
I'm trying to see if a 12inch W7 will fit in the back of my Honda Civic hatchback. The speakers hang low from a stealth shelf and I guess it'd have to be a WIDE box rather than deep or high. Also, I read that having a speaker point UP can damage it as gravity pulls on the cone, is this true? I get the best sound from my sub pointing up (tested every other position) Any reason I should change it?
Ta xx
What's that flippie??
Rushman 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2004 at 1:34 PM / IP Logged  

I'll try my best to help. Im sure others will need to correct me or add to it but anyway..........First read any and all information that comes with the w7 sub if you have it. Might answer some qusetions. Second. If your going to build your own box for the w7 , there are slightly different rules for that sub than most others. I think I remember hearing that the face of the box where the sub is to be mounted should be made double thick layer of 3/4 mdf and maybe the back wall oppisite the magnet also. Most 12 inch subs require about 1 to 1.25 cubic feet of air space but I think the w7 requires a little more. Im not sure exactly. Third , from my experience , in a hatchback set up , its usually best to aim the sub straight back towards the tail light end of the car with about a foot or so of distance between the sub and rear wall of the car. This creates whats called a standing wave pattern that naturally amplifies the lower bass frequencies a bit making it sound louder and deeper by the time the waves reach your ear at the drivers seat. I dont believe hanging a cone face up will hurt it with gravity as most subs are designed to be installed in several applications but again im not sure about that w7.

tomos 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2004 at 1:58 PM / IP Logged  
The recommended net box volume is 1.375 cu feet according to the JL website, I myself don't own it, and have no way of hearing it before purchase either. I fell in love with it years ago looking through a glass window in a shop and have been longing for it ever since (geek!) This will be my 5th sub and I've gone from cheap to mid to high to W7. ($1400 US Dollars by UK conversion standards I believe) I try to listen to everything before I buy, but my instincts tell me to go with this one.
I understand all about standing waves, and I assure you I get the best performance from a angled upward position (to my ear)
Space is LIMITED (picture) (M6 pictured is now an ex-sub. Long story.. short story - it melted but I didn't do it)
There is no room to have the box go furthur back, or up. So, how much wider would a perfect box be than the one pictured?
What's that flippie??
Rushman 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2004 at 3:06 PM / IP Logged  
ok , your picture only brings me back to this page but anyway , aiming the sub up towards the glass is probly giving you the same kind of wave off the window as it would towards the back , either way if its best for you , go for it. As far as the price , that sounds a little high to me. $1,400 ?? you said? I cant quote you an exact price but I bought a piar of those last year and they cost 1/2 that much each. like $695 or close to that and that was with prefab boxes that came from JL audio. Maybe search the web for a better price. Im sure someone here has a site they can recomend for that. AS far as box volume....1.375 cf , you can go as wide as you need to to fit your car. I would use every inch of depth you can but just do the math. work it out untill you get the right volume you need. Talk back to us if you need help with figuring out the dimensions. I wasnt able to see the pic you sent. It didnt come thru.
tomos 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2004 at 3:45 PM / IP Logged  
I can't tell you where or how but as of last week I can get a W7 at cost. So I'm jumping on it. As for the high $$ cost I meant that in the UK the retail price is around £800 for a W713, at current conversion rate thats about (800 x 1.7) 1360 USD.
Ha! When I went to Hawaii this year you should have seen the faces of people at customs xraying my bag with a 500/1 in it. Got that 1/2 price compared to here! Damn, the UK sucks.
Still, I know ebay and the net can yield some good deals but I always try to get my stuff new with warranty as I have had issues with seconds hand stuff.
Can't help you with the picture, works for me. Try right click copy shortcut/target/location (depending on browser) and paste it directly as a URL.
What's that flippie??
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2004 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  
hey, what type of honda you trying to fit in.   I have a honda civic and am running a box that is 1.5 internal and 2.63 external per side under the rear window deck in a 98 civic you have about 6 cu ft from side to side back seat to the back of the rear window deck and only high enough to still have clearence for speakers.   Let me know if you need a box I might have one that would work great for you.    If you are close to missouri shipping wouldnt be to bad
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
tomos 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2004 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  
Missouri? Box sizes -- posted image. England mate!!! But thanks man, appreciate the sentiment.
I've got a 3 door Civic Hatchback 96-98 I believe.
What's that flippie??
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2004 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  
have you considered building your own box?   I know you guys must have good old MDF over there.....let us know and we can help you with a box design
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic