Advice on what sub to use

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dirtydreams4x4 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2004 at 10:40 PM / IP Logged  

Alright here's the deal

I have a collection of old subs that I have accumulated, and I am looking for advice on which to use...

2- Rf Punch 10's 4-ohm , these are old but in good shape('97-99?) Rated at 200w max I believe (model rfz  1410 I think) I can get the specs if they are needed.

2- Kicker Impulse 10's (10i) 8-ohm Rated at 125w rms (One has a cut in the surround, can I repair it?)

1- Pioneer 12 (ts-w303c) I've never actually heard this one, someone gave it to me today (It was sittin around like mine) 160w rms, 500w max

I am thinking that one 10 is all I need. I just upgraded and amped my components in front (polk mmc6500), and need to balance everything out. 1st- I want to install the sub(s) in a stealth enclosure ('96 2-dr Yukon) so space will be limited. Either one or two subs is fine with me, but I'm not sure I can fit 2. Also, I am going to buy an amp, whatever suits the wattage needs best. I am leaning towards the Kicker 10's but I dont know how most amps respond to 8-ohms resistance.

Should I mess with any of these speakers or should I just buy a new sub like a JL 10w3v2? JL makes a nice stealth set up for my console (w3v2) but I cant find it anywhere.

Any enclosure ideas or examples would be GREAT! I am having a lot more trouble finding the right enclosure.

Thanks

jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2004 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  
I think you would be much happier if you if you went with a newer sub, from the sound of your components you are more towards SQ....JL is a very strong way to go...the stealth enclosures are great    go to the jlaudio website and look up a authorized dealer near you they will be able to order this item for you....you could also look on ebay i see them there alot..you also could look into infinity as well but by preference I would go with the jl
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
italnpimp59 
Silver - Posts: 427
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2004 at 1:21 AM / IP Logged  
i say sell all the subs you have now and use that money to help acculmulate enough money for the JL 10w3v2 you mentioned.  it would sound better than any of the subs you have now.  the new w3v2 subs are excellent
heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2004 at 1:50 AM / IP Logged  
Same as above but I will add... Have you considered making your own enclosure for the sub?  Yes, I do mean a stealth enclosure.  If you are familiar at all with fiberglass or very good with wood you can make it work (and a helping of patience).  And the JL 10w3v2 is a great sub, i have a 10w3v1(no substansial difference in the two) in my suburban in a ported enclosure.  Maybe e-bay the others to raise some funds?  Im familiar with the backs of the tahoe's,  and you should have lots of room with a sealed W3 in the back.
dirtydreams4x4 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2004 at 2:40 AM / IP Logged  

medicate,

Yes I have considered making the enclosure myself. I've made some really nice boxes with mdf in the past, and the only reason I have been looking for a pre made "stealth" enclosure is that I have no idea where to hide a stealth enclosure. It is very important to me that little or no functionality of the cargo space be lost. In the past I have jujmped into projects too quickly, and regretted it down the road. I dont want to go cutting into the rear side panels and then realize that I only needed to cut 1/2 as much as I did, etc. etc. etc. It really upsets me when I alter something factory and the final product isn't 100% perfect.

That being said, I haven't ruled out the idea, but I am definately going to take my time in deciding the specifics of a diy stealth enclosure UNLESS someone has some plans for one!!!

Also, thanks for the comments on the sub. The W3 was what I really wanted to do anyway, but it was hard to make that decision when I'm staring at 5 subs in good working order ya know? :o) In the end, sq is most important.

dirtydreams4x4 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2004 at 2:44 AM / IP Logged  

One other thing,

What would be a good price for a new/used 10w6v2?

And would the JL 250/1 mono amp be ideal for the setup, or is their another brand that would be better?

dirtydreams4x4 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2004 at 3:05 AM / IP Logged  
I meant W3 not W6, I think the w6's are a little high for me right now
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2004 at 7:06 AM / IP Logged  
I believe they run around $160 for a 10".  Not bad concidering the quality and power you get for it.
heavilymedicate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2004 at 11:23 AM / IP Logged  

If you are paying 160 a 10" for a w3v2 you gotta tell me where!  The local guys want $220 for a new 10w3v2.  I have talked them as low as $200 when I buy carpet and accessories for the box at the same time.  As for used, that depends on the condition.  Personally, I would never pay more then 50% of new for something used unless I knew the condition as "a matter of fact".  So I would say a used w3v2 in good condition: $110 and down from there, a older 10w3 probably 80 and down.  You can tell them apart because the v2 has a inverted dustcap.

Right!  Cutting into factory panels scares the sh*t out me to!  Mistakes are a pain to cover up or fix.  If the year of your Tahoe is right consider this:  I think the armrest console is hollow underneath.  You could build a box underneath it.  It could be a "T" shape, upside down that is.  The flat part of the T would face down.  The longer part of the T would go up and into the space in the console.  You would build the console/armrest to fit over it.  This would raise the armrest a few inches.  However if your a guy like me that might be welcome (I am 6'1")!   I'll post a pic in a bit... 

heavilymedicate 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2004 at 11:39 AM / IP Logged  

Feast your eyes on this sweet rendering (not to scale of any sort) of what I what have envisioned:

Advice on what sub to use -- posted image.

Holy sh*te!  That is a sweet ass picture!  Who did that?

You are looking at this from the front or rear, take your pick.  Ok, the woofer is mounted on the inside to lower the amount of space between the enclosure and the floor.  I would recommend 3/4 of an inch from the floor to the bottom of the box all the way around.  The funny looking bars in the box are braces.  Ask if you need a detail of what they might look like.  The bottom is curved to match the hump for your transfercase, each side will be a slightly different shape.  Bottom line is you will just have to pull off the armrest/console and see what you have going on under there.  Good luck, and if you build this I WANT PICTURES : )

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic