icon

Another enclosure, pics inside

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
95xjsport 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2004 at 10:40 AM / IP Logged  
I built a box for the back of my jeep, it will hold two twelves but, I can't get that damn resin to harden, hafl of it is hard but the rest isn't, I followed the directions to the t and it is still sticky and soft in some places...
heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2004 at 11:24 AM / IP Logged  
START YOUR OWN THREAD.  You'll get better results.  Another enclosure, pics inside - Page 2 -- posted image.
What will you get for Christmas, bad boy? Coal........or Visonik?? - stevdart
Wow, is everyone clueless and lost in the dark? - uthinkuknoaudio
Glowinlow22 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2004 at 4:18 PM / IP Logged  

Your project is gonna have to be started over, at least on the side thats tacky, if glass doesnt set within a few hours its useless, the chemical reaction has a certain time to cure then its done for good, check your hardner for tempeture ranges as a few degrees can make a huge difference, if you started one side around noon and finished the next side up around 8 at night the variable is enough to make those directions useless, to cure some of this get a couple cheap spot lamps or any high output light for outdoor work and such, place the lamps so that the light is spread even and the lamps are about 2 feet above the work, check the glass frequently, DO NOT USE FAST HARDNER WITH THIS METHOD IN THE SUMMER it will melt/eat thru anything and cause total damage and have to be ground out and reglassed but in winter it will work very nicely, there is also a product that is made by ca i beleive that will instantly harden most fiberglass resins works great for speaker cloth or fleece layers will probably work great on chopped mats first layer as well.

J~

95xjsport 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2004 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  
Is it possible that I dodn't add enough hardner?? I was told that I can mix up some more with even more hardner and put it ove where it is tacky and should hopefully harden the rest of it?? would this work??
95xjsport 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2004 at 10:26 PM / IP Logged  
this product taht will harden the resin, where would I get some of that??
Teamrf 
Gold - Posts: 1,031
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2004 at 3:14 AM / IP Logged  
Not bad.
~The Rookie~
Rookie of the year that is...
Don't let the smoke out of your equiptment..it doesn't go back in.
HottAccord 
Silver - Posts: 247
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2004 at 12:31 PM / IP Logged  
LMAO, I came in here wondering who dug up my old topic and I see it turned into something else!!  Yea man get ur own topic!! hahah  only kidding...anyone can offer any type of help anywhere in here... Another enclosure, pics inside - Page 2 -- posted image.
Im a fiberglass whore!!
Stlb5 
Member - Posts: 27
Member spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2004 at 8:45 AM / IP Logged  
guess I'm glad it got dug up.  So you didn't use any glass on the front face of that enclosure?  Just resin with a thickening agent?  This can't be as strong as using glass.
timewarpaudio 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2005 at 11:13 AM / IP Logged  

95xjsport wrote:
I built a box for the back of my jeep, it will hold two twelves but, I can't get that damn resin to harden, hafl of it is hard but the rest isn't, I followed the directions to the t and it is still sticky and soft in some places...

Did you mix the resin and catylist enough, sounds to me that it didnt get mixed enough.  Also, when resin starts to go bad its acts like that, Ive had it happen to me more than once.  Are you sure you used enough hardener?

beyondamfm 
Copper - Posts: 105
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2005 at 11:56 AM / IP Logged  
Two threads in one, I smell newbieAnother enclosure, pics inside - Page 2 -- posted image.
The Clear Bra Guy
KCs premiere paint protection guru
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic