icon

my car is screwed up!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2004 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  
I just put a new alternator in my car. After putting it in the car and starting it up, the engine started overheating and antifreeze started spilling out. We put in a new thermometer, that seemed to solve the overheating problem. But then the battery gauge would'nt go past 10 or 11 volts. After the car was running for about 5 minutes (with the system on). The battery gauge dropped to 8 volts and revving the engine didnt raise it up at all. I shut the car off, when I tried to start it, the battery was dead. I came back about 20 minutes later and it started up. The battery gauge was again around 10, revving the engine didnt bring it up, after about 5 minutes WITHOUT the amps on the gauge dropped again, it stalled out, when I tried to start it the battery was dead again. Also, the idle is really rough now, it almost sounds like its going to stall.
Could the alternator not be charging the battery? Everything is hooked up right (as far as I know). The alternator spins fine. Could the serpintine belt not be on correctly? It looks and feels tight enough to me, but I cant think of anything else. I dont really car about the system at this point, I just want the car to run!! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2004 at 9:33 PM / IP Logged  
Could be a bad conection at the altenator, could be a faulty battery. Those are my two best guesses. I would probally take the battery to a local shop like Canadian Tire or whatever and get them to test it. If that isnt the problem mabye the altenator is faulty.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Rushman 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2004 at 9:36 PM / IP Logged  
speaking of serpetine belt................did you put it on correctly? are you sure the altenator isnt spinning backwards? if you have a Multimeter , check and see what voltage you get off the battery and the new altenator. Also check and make sure there is a sufficient ground from the engine to the frame of the car. Ive seen that problem kill several altenators with a lack of ground . If all else fails , try to get the car to the place you bought the altenator and they should be able to run a few test for you.
pimpincavy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2004 at 11:30 PM / IP Logged  
The only part of the serpintine belt I took off was the part that goes over the alternator, could it be too loose or too tight? I had to loosen it to get it on, but it seems ok now. Where would the engine ground to the car? The alternator that was on the car before this one was having problems to, it was only about 3 months old and still on warrenty at AutoZone So I took the car there and they hooked it up to a machine that tested the battery and alt. They tested okay, but the battery gauge would drop down to 8 volts whenever the engine was at idle, so they gave me a new alternator.
Rushman 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2004 at 11:38 PM / IP Logged  
what kind of car is it again? If its a newer car with the serpintine , it will have an idler arm pully that automaticy takes the slack out of the belt. Speaking of which , might wana check that too if your car has one. If its not putting enough tension on the belt , the altenator may not spin enough RPMs. Anybody else have other suggestions?
heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2004 at 12:44 AM / IP Logged  

"Girls love the guys with the cars that go BOOOOM!"

Yeah, chicks also dig guys with cars that run and MOOOVE!  Oh man.  Well, if this problem started right after changing your thermostat I would say it is related to something that happened when it was replaced.  Have the battery tested.  Its odd that it ran till it died, and then started later.  Post the make and model, year to.  If its not the alt or the battery, then it's probably a connection under the hood.  Does it have a separate voltage regulator?  Break yourself, and go get a manual on your ride.  Its only 20$, the same price as a DVD, or a movie in a theater and something to eat, or a tank of gas in a civic, or a lapdance.....

rknj01 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2004 at 1:27 AM / IP Logged  
lapdance....
pimpincavy 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2004 at 1:56 AM / IP Logged  
Its a 1986 Chevy Cavalier Z24. It does have the arm to adjust the belt, the belt seems to be adjusted right, but I will try adjusting that tomorrow. I do actually have a manual for it. The voltage regulator is built into the car from the factory, however I dont know where it would be located under the hood. Thanks for the help so far guys, ill look things over again tomorrow.
Rushman 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2004 at 1:57 AM / IP Logged  
I agree.................lapdance
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2004 at 11:20 AM / IP Logged  
hey man, have u ever installed an alternator before? they are very sensitive. you might have shorted the alternator itself. i'd take it to an autozone or something by you and see if its still working. if it is, then we know its something else.
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic