icon

Keyless entry question on Ford F350

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ericboutin 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2004 at 5:30 PM / IP Logged  

Hi all,  This is my first post.  I have a question on how to install this keyless entry system in my 1991 F350.  http:///.com/dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5723613973&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

I have searched this board and found that I have "Reverse Polarity" lock and unlock.  Ok now I need to know how do I get around this?  I have hooked up everything and found the wires in the driver's side kick panel and wired them to the lock and unlock wires on the module but obviously when I hit the button on the remote the lights flash etc but no locking and unlocking...This is just keyless entry with no alarm.  Do I need some Bosch style relays to make the lock and unlock work?  I printed out some diagrams from this site but I'm still not real clear on how to wire the locking and unlocking.  Also I need a +12 volt ingniton switch input.  I also printed out wiring diagrams from this site but they say that this is located in the ignition wiring harness.  Does anyone know where this is on my truck.  Thanks for all the help in advance.

Eric

brianh 
Silver - Posts: 516
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2004 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged  
If the vehicle does not have keyless entry from the factory the door locks will be a 5 wire type. You will need two relays in order to make the door locks work. One for lock and one for unlock. Print off a diahgram of this cicuit and wire the relays accordingly. You will have to cut the lock and unlock wire at the kickpanel(or driver door and place those wires on the relay as well. When you cut the wires you will have a switch side and a vehicle side wire. The switch side wire goes to 87a on the relay(lock and unlock) and the vehicle side wire goes to 30 on the relays. Depending on the year of the truck you may have to use another relay to "wake up" the GEM so the locks will come back online for they will go to sleep after 3 minutes.   Good luck with the install!
Brian
owner/installer
Sight & Sound Car Stereo
"all electronic equipment runs off of smoke, once you let it out, it stops working"
ericboutin 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2004 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  

Wow thanks for the reply!!      Keyless entry question on Ford F350 -- posted image.    The truck does not have factory keyless entry, I think that came in '94. 

Quote--------------------------------------

You will need two relays in order to make the door locks work. One for lock and one for unlock. Print off a diahgram of this cicuit and wire the relays accordingly  --------------------------

Where can I get this diagram you speak of?

I have cut the wires in the kickpanel and wired them to the lock and unlock coming off the keyless entry module but they don't work as I found out from this board.  Since they are cut in half now, how can I tell which side is the switch side and which side is the vehicle side wire?  The relays I will need are they the 87, 87a, 86, 85 and 30 relay? 

Quote----------------------------------

Depending on the year of the truck you may have to use another relay to "wake up" the GEM so the locks will come back online for they will go to sleep after 3 minutes.  ----------------------------

Forgive me I don't understand this...it is a 1991.

Thanks again for the quick response!!  Keyless entry question on Ford F350 -- posted image.

Eric

ericboutin 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2004 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  

Ahh I think I found the diagram...is this it?  http://https://www.the12volt.com/doorlocks/page3.asp#5w   and as you scroll down it is this one titled   "Actuators / Reverse Polarity"?   I believe it does have 5 wires on the door switch I will go out and check again.  Thanks again to all. 

Eric

ericboutin 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2004 at 1:35 PM / IP Logged  

Update and another question:  I used the 5 wire alternating diagram as I did some extensive searching on here and found this is the one to use.  Great site by the way!  Anyway I bought some relays this afternoon and hooked up everything exactly according to the diagram.  Semi-Success!!  I got it to work but...only the back door on the driver's side is locking and unlocking.  The main switch in the driver door works and will lock and unlock all doors but when hitting the button on the remote only that one door locks and unlocks.  I grabbed the lock and unlock wire out of the driver kick panel - pink/black for lock and pink/orange for unlock.  Any ideas as to why the others aren't working as well?  Should I just grab the wires at the switch in the driver door and feed em to the cab and do it that way and if I do would I still use the 5 wire alternating? 

This is a 1991 Crew Cab Pickup (4 doors).  As always thanks in advance for any suggestions / comments.  Believe it or not I am actually having fun - been quite a learning experience.  Thanks again

Eric

davedyer79 
Copper - Posts: 178
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2004 at 3:15 PM / IP Logged  

I am showing BLACK/ ORANGE for unlock and PINK/LIGHT GREEN for unlock, also found in driver kick panel.  This may be your problem.  Also, make sure you have switch side and motor side wired correctly to your relays.  Switch side will show 12V on your meter or light up a test light when the switch is used AFTER the wire is cut in half.  The other side of the cut wire will show nothing, regardless if the switch is used or not.  Hope this helps.

Good luck, David.

davedyer79
davedyer79 
Copper - Posts: 178
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2004 at 3:16 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry Eric, BLACK/ ORANGE is lock, PINK/LIGHT GREEN is unlock
davedyer79
ericboutin 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2004 at 3:21 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks Dave I was wondering about that.  Which was which I mean.  Hmm maybe that is the problem.  Maybe the wires I cut are just for the back door.  When I cut them it did disable the main switch and I checked for motor side for 12 volts on both cut wires, found which was which  and hooked it back up.  Well thanks that gives me something to check out this evening, otherwise I guess I will run the wires right from the switch into the cab.  I'm making progress though, that's good.  Thanks again.
ericboutin 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2004 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged  

davedyer79 wrote:
Sorry Eric, BLACK/ ORANGE is lock, PINK/LIGHT GREEN is unlock

Thanks Dave - hit the nail on the head!!  Turns out the other two wires I grabbed were just for that one door.  When I disconnected them the other three doors locked and unlocked.  Successful install!!  Thanks to those that answered my post and thanks to those that answered posts in the last two years!  Lots of good info here.  Thanks again, Eric

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic