icon

Steel enclosures

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
chevyman26 
Copper - Posts: 227
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2004 at 2:25 AM / IP Logged  
I never hear anything about enclosures made of metals. What is the reason that metal is never used? I mean, aside from the weight factor, if you stuck your head inside a 2 cu. ft steel box and hit it with a hammer, your ears will ring for an hour. We're talking like 3/8" steel sheets welded up airtight. I was gonna just try it after work tonight or tomorrow, but i don't want to waste my time if it's been done and proven to suck. Thanks. 
You'd better get me out of this lord... or else you'll have me to deal with. -- Hunter S. Thompson "F.A.L.I.L.V."
boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2004 at 8:36 AM / IP Logged  
Wouldn't the steal flex?  Especially over a large flat surface.  Let me know how it works.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2004 at 9:40 AM / IP Logged  

It's not used for exactly the reason you mention: something that will "ring for hours" is not a good material to use for an enclosure.  A good enclosure is acoustically neutral.  Metal is generally anything but that.  If metal is used for enclosures, it must be lined with MDF or dense sound-absorbant material such as Sonex, and then braces and reinforcements must be welded into it to prevent flexing.  In my opinion, it is not worth the extra effort, expense, or time, and the sound quality of the resulats are generally not satisfactory... and if it's the look of a metal enclosure you're after, I suggest building a standard MDF enclosure and attaching metal panels to the outside.

Support the12volt.com
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2004 at 7:24 PM / IP Logged  
i would go with dyohn in every aspect the flexing would be horrible, and the rining noise is not a good thing....if you notice if you hit a box in side outside it is a very dull noise....also I would think just resonant frequencys might be able to travel through the metal..not really sure but I wouldnt go that route
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
Rushman 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2004 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged  
I strongly agree that no kind of metal is accousticly favorable. However , a couple of years ago I built an encloser for an extended cab truck out of MDF and carpeted all the edges about 2 inches in and then had Diamond Guard Panels fabricated and then chromed and installed them over the surface of the MDF box so that they looked In-layed into the box. It was a really cool Industrial metal look but still retained the accoustical value of the subs.
gcorrea 
Silver - Posts: 436
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2004 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  
have you ever seen the dynamat trash can display that has a sub mounted to it , it sounds just like that, trash.
gcorrea
Maxst 
Silver - Posts: 866
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2004 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  
3/8inch steel plate tho...that wont flex guys.  I think 1/8in would be over kill. 
I need quality equipment, feel free to donate.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2004 at 10:09 PM / IP Logged  
Still gonna resonat like a MF'er though
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Rushman 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2004 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  
This is beginning to sound like a Monster Garage Challenge.
heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2004 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged  

worked in a fabrication shop for 3 years.  In that time I installed a audio system in a fellas 2002 Dakota who also worked there.  This exact subject came up and he (being such a hotshot welder) said, "stealth box my ass, I'll just build one".  I tried to talk him out of it for the same reasons mentioned above.  He was convinced it would work.  We messed around with several materials and found aluminum to be the most acoustically dead.  Aluminum is a softer metal and does not resonate like other types of metal.  We tested this by taking tubes of approximately the same size and hitting them with hammer, tapping on them, basically playing with them.  Not very scientific.  Oh well, that was my observation, we never got the chance to build it as he moved out of state.  I wish we had done it though, would have been a fun project.

Yeah, the flexing is not really an issue with such short spans and thick plates.  I would use 1/8 to 1/4 inch.  Aluminum is also not magnetic, another bonus.  Will not rust, is soft enough to drill easily.  Its lighter.  The only down fall is price (and a little harder to weld, I'm a decent welder if your wondering). 

Well, if you build it, post pics.  Good luck : )

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic