icon

Steel enclosures

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2004 at 11:33 PM / IP Logged  
You could just use 1/8".... and then line that sucker with, oh I dunno.... a couple inches of Concrete. You would get an very dead, albeit very heavy, dense and non resonant sub box. I've always wanted to do a concrete sub box... I think it would be the cat's pajamas.
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
Rushman 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2004 at 11:42 PM / IP Logged  
I told you , first Metal , and now Concrete boxes. This has Jesse James all over it.
99 F-one fitty
Pioneer Premier H/U
Alpine EQ
Kicker 1200 amp
4 Kicker comp 10s
6 kicker SS65.2 components
chevyman26 
Copper - Posts: 227
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2004 at 12:04 AM / IP Logged  

Well, I'm basically a fabricator/maintenance mechanic at a factory, and am the call-in welder (for the tougher jobs that the other guys don't feel confident enough to do (stainless piping, precision work.) I have access to all kinds of scraps for free, hence the idea.  I thought of the 3/8" because of the flex factor. I bet a Parthenon would have it's work cut out to make that flex. I was thinking about it all day, and I imagine it to be boomy, and nothing else.  Although... we do have some stuff at work... it's called Chockfast Red SG. Resin, Hardener, and aggregate. Denser and stronger than concrete, yet lighter and more workable after drying. We use it for pouring around the footings of machinery and rebuilding the faces of press rolls. Maybe if I line the box with that too....

I didn't want to do it for looks or anything, it's just an idea I had. Like I said, there is the weight factor. If I made a square box with all 12" sides out of 3/8" it would probably be a good 60-70 lbs. Add in the resin and a decent driver, it could end up being 100 lbs. in 1 cu. ft.  But the possibilities for custom designed boxes would be as endless as with 'glass.

Thanks for the replies. I probably will try it after work some night when I am bored, just for my own morbid curiosity. I will post pics and results when/if I do.

You'd better get me out of this lord... or else you'll have me to deal with. -- Hunter S. Thompson "F.A.L.I.L.V."
chevyman26 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2004 at 12:10 AM / IP Logged  

Rushman wrote:
I told you , first Metal , and now Concrete boxes. This has Jesse James all over it.

Have you seen the van that Dave Jennings (multi-time SBN top 3 places and many other comps.) runs? The majority of the van was encased in concrete. Then he tore that out and used resin and sand. He's probably on to something else by now.

Oh yeah, and

DYohn wrote:
It's not used for exactly the reason you mention: something that will "ring for hours" is not a good material to use for an enclosure. 
I was talking about my ears ringing for hours, not the metal box,but yeah, I see what you are saying.

You'd better get me out of this lord... or else you'll have me to deal with. -- Hunter S. Thompson "F.A.L.I.L.V."
Rushman 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2004 at 7:32 AM / IP Logged  
Too cool. I havent seen the Van. I was just being sarcastic but hey , if it works. Ive taken 2 semesters of Audio Engineering class at local college. First semester was just about accoustics and how we percive sound. We discussed different materials and how sound if affected by them. One of the materials was Concrete and how its used in a recording studio to line certain walls but I never though anyone would have applied that principle to a Van but it DOES make sence.
99 F-one fitty
Pioneer Premier H/U
Alpine EQ
Kicker 1200 amp
4 Kicker comp 10s
6 kicker SS65.2 components
thapimpfromchi 
Silver - Posts: 616
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2004 at 8:13 AM / IP Logged  
It's been done before man. Good results too. I forgot who said it, but yes, if you are going to go through with this use aluminum as it is acoustically "dead" The install i saw was in one of my car audio magazines. It was in a yellow H2. the guy used like 7 JL subs in this massive enclosure. it came out really really nice and the reason i say it worked well.. he's hitting about 152 db. I'll look for the issue, and see if i can get pics of the install for you.
1990 Honda Civic HB:
Clarion DXZ545MP H.U.
2- 6.5" Power Acoustik interiors
Diamond Audio 600.1 amp
Diamond Audio 15" M6MKII
Pyramid PB881X 4 CH. Amp
chevyman26 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2004 at 12:17 AM / IP Logged  
Hey, that's cool. I would like to use aluminum, but that's one material that I don't have immediate access to, nor the welding equipment. It would be a lot, lot easier to work with too. But they had a big fire in the kiln at work after I left last night (no injuries other than some smoke inhalation), so we'll be working on rebuilding for a little bit, which means any "Government" jobs are on hold for a while. I'll still let you know when/if I do it.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2004 at 12:23 AM / IP Logged  
Coat the inside of the box with Rhinolining, should come out nice and acoustically dead (or damn close to it).
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
chevyman26 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2004 at 12:56 AM / IP Logged  
Hey thanks! Good thinking! (but then I guess you aren't a platinum member for nothing!) That will be a lot easier, faster, lighter, and most of all, cheaper than the industrial resin, which isn't included in the "scraps privileges."  Anyone interested in this resin - here is some more info on it - http://www.micsa.gr/chockfast/618e.htm
heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2004 at 10:38 AM / IP Logged  
Car undercoating is cheap and stays semi-soft, never dries rock hard.  I would think it would be better then Rhinolining, that dries hard and plastic like on the surface.  Not to contradict Forbidden, I totally respect what he has to say.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic