the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Cadillac XLR Remote Starter?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
csorb 
Copper - Posts: 317
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2004 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  
Is it possible to do a remote starter on the 05 XLR ?
This car starts with a push button. As far as I know it cannot be started with a key and the driver MUST have a remote with him. If anyone has ANY info on this car I would appreciate it. Thanks
the1alchemist 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 17, 2004 at 7:21 PM / IP Logged  
sounds extremely easy to me..only q,is the driver's fob active,or passive?i am guessing it has a batt?
put a relay on a fob in the car(on the batt),then 'push the button'without more info,that sounds like it would work..unless you have to program the fob each time..
or some other problem unforeseen.. try it,just take out the battery,sit in the car,put the batt in the fob,push the button..keep track of what the door locks do..
i figure it has to be active,a passive system would require one hell of an rf output from the car at all times.. and with cancer from cell phones,the cat crawling on the hood would drop dead in a sec!(cell phone cancer is BOGUS(I think)!!)but you get the idea..then again "MUST"..check again about the no key thing..there has to be a bypass of some kind..remote batt dies,falls and gets hurt(indestructible remote? who has ever seen such a thing?)
i guess what i am getting at is the same thing the above post says..just giving people something to think about.. anything is possible,anything can be re-created..this is what ALOT of us do every day..i have always been a never done it before person,and within 2 mins,i will know if it is or isnt possible..try the batt thing,if it is passive,you could always make a van de graff(i think thats the guy,no rf/em in-or-out.) cage/box..then use a solenoid to 'open' it,THEN 'push the button'the pushing should be the easy part,again electrically,or physically..i need to see a switch,but if i had a cust that wanted,or was willing to do it,i think actually seeing the button operating in the car would be the greatest thing he/she ever saw!
just a thought,do they OFFER rs?like the Malibu? or did they stop that?
L8r people..
'Stereo' Mike
The Audio CARtist,LLC
9600 Balt. Ave.
College Park,MD 20740
301-474-6260
csorb 
Posted: October 18, 2004 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged  
The fob has a battery but only requires that it be in the car. The car is capable of sensing the presence of the fob and will allow the car to start if that is so.
the1alchemist 
Posted: October 23, 2004 at 6:19 PM / IP Logged  
well what i am saying,you can just put a remote inside the car,solder a wire to the batt connectors,then just make an alarm connect the batt,then another relay(or however many it takes to re-create the switch/button for start,and viola!
now,if i know how they work,which i think i do.. you dont even need a remote start alarm! just one with a latched output,and another momentary..
point being,if the fob isnt powered up,the car doesn't know its in there..there are some security issues as well,in other words,the car is DRIVABLE at that point,so some thinking has to be done..pm me,and i will be more than happy to help you figure it out..
and,does it unlock the doors when it senses a fob,and then,does it re-lock when started,or just in gear?
thats just the beginning,but i dont know of a vehicle that CAN'T be done,just ones that people dont want to spend the money on!like the bimmers with the ir key,the best iv e heard is having to put another ign system in the car,and creating a switching network between the two.. ANYTHING CAN be done! you just want to have to do it bad enough! You have to realize a little of my background,i've built planes,a Thorpe t-18(experimental,all aluminum)
a Mitchell b-10(ultralight,doped fabric,wood),
a very-eazy(all fiberglass,you must have heard of Burt Rutan,this was one of his first broad ventures)
and a few boats,a hirshoff (sp?) 55 ft fiberglass dual 50ft mast sailboat,
and throw a few houses in the mix,from electricity(DUH),to plumbing,whatever..
I have been taught from an early age to make things happen.. it can be done..rest assured it can be done..
remember the Aztecs performed brain surgery,and alot of people survived!
'Stereo' Mike
The Audio CARtist,LLC
9600 Balt. Ave.
College Park,MD 20740
301-474-6260
csorb 
Posted: October 24, 2004 at 2:21 PM / IP Logged  
Your point about the fob with the battery is a good one. I'll try that
the1alchemist 
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 7:25 AM / IP Logged  
Like i think i pointed out,i have not actually worked on one of these fob present cars,just a radio in a prius..
let me know what happens! curious..I am sure i will run across one..
and i think i also mentioned something about not needing a real remote start contraption,just one with two outputs..
something to try..
try just VERY quickly,but make sure it 'hits',push the button..what i am trying to get at is;is it like the range rovers? you just turn it to start,and when you let go,it cranks until its started(without the button/ign actually being in the start position?)
so you would only need one latched output,for the fob batt,then just a momentary/pulse or whatever whoever calls it..
remember,you can build a latch from the diagrams at the left of your screen
<<<<<
look under 'relays' i am pretty sure i saw one there,
and maybe look into a timer as well..again,something on the left
<<<<<
if you are using an rs alarm,you will probably have to use a tach..if its like a Buick i did,the volt sense wont work..this Buick took like 5 secs to get back to 12.xx v!
a computer controlled alt..this bit me on this car,the one car in quite a few years i decided to use voltage,my alarm tech guy always said 'its a great thing,always works!' well,until your voltage takes 10+ seconds to get to 14!! just do a quick mm check,but i would think it would be a long ramp up..
long enough for a quick note huh..just trying to help you think..I just hope something i said helps!
sometimes i am a bit too passionate,but i feel the only way to get it right,is to go too far!like an alt guy on another post,death probably wasn't the most appropriate thing to say,but alot of smoke can make you wreck!
'Stereo' Mike
The Audio CARtist,LLC
9600 Balt. Ave.
College Park,MD 20740
301-474-6260
csorb 
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 11:14 AM / IP Logged  
The two problems I may have to deal with will be to get the car to shut down after the run time and the relay to push the button to start. If it's a simple negative or positive pulse then no prob. My fear is that this is a data return signal that supplies a modified pulse.
extreme1 
Silver - Posts: 1,070
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2004 at 10:45 PM / IP Logged  
Cadillac » XLR » 2004
ITEM WIRE COLOR POL LOCATION INFOTECH #
12 VOLTS RED / black (60a) + bcm, c3, pin d1    
The BCM (Body Control Module) is part of the fuse/relay block on the passenger floor board under the carpet. It has the following connectors: C1-72 pin gray, C2-72 pin gray, C3-41 pin red, and C4-68 pin gray.
STARTER 1 purple (not for remote start) + starter or fuse block under hood    
IGNITION 1 pink (not for remote start) + bcm, c4, pin c8    
The BCM (Body Control Module) is part of the fuse/relay block on the passenger floor board under the carpet. It has the following connectors: C1-72 pin gray, C2-72 pin gray, C3-41 pin red, and C4-68 pin gray.
POWER LOCK ORANGE / black - lock switch in driver door    
POWER UNLOCK ORANGE / black - lock switch in driver door    
DOORLOCK MOTOR lt. GREEN/ black 5wi dkp or rcdlr, 16 pin plug, pin b    
RCDLR (Remote Control Door Lock Receiver) is located in the upper passenger side of the dash. It can be accessed by removing the upper dash panel.
DOOR UNLOCK MOTOR tan 5wi dkp or bcm, c3, pin a1    
FACTORY ALARM ARM see notes   see notes    
Use one of the following items listed here to arm the OEM system: 1) Press the lock button on the factory keyless access transmitter. 2) Open the door. Lock the door with the power door lock switch. The SECURITY light should flash. Close the door. The SECURITY light will stop flashing and stay on. After 30 seconds, the light should turn off. The vehicle can be programmed to automatically lock the doors when you exit the vehicle. See DIC Vehicle Personalization . The theft-deterrent system will not arm if you lock the driver's door with the power door lock switch after the doors are closed.
FACTORY ALARM DISARM see notes   see notes    
Always use your factory keyless access transmitter to unlock a door either by pressing the unlock button on the transmitter or by squeezing the door handle sensor while you have the transmitter with you. Unlocking a door any other way will set off the alarm.
PARKLIGHTS POSITIVE brown - harness to rear    
PARKLIGHTS NEGATIVE BROWN / white - switch or bcm, c2, pin 5    
HAZARD tan - switch or bcm, c2, pin 9    
TURN LEFT lt. blue/wht (f), yellow (r) + bcm, c1, pin 38 and c3, pin a9    
TURN RIGHT dk. blue/wht (f), dk. grn (r) + bcm, c1, pin 56 and c3, pin a12    
REVERSE lt. green   harness to rear or bcm, c3, pin d9    
BRAKE lt. blue + harness to rear or bcm, c4, pin d4    
PARKBRAKE lt. blue - park brake pedal assembly    
TACH white ac instrument cluster or ecm    
The ECM (Engine Control Module) is in the front passenger fender. Have to remove the wheel and the access panel behind the wheel to get to it. The tach wire is in the blue plug, pin 26. For tach, can also go to any ignition coil or fuel injector and use the wire that is NOT pink, brown, or black.
VSS dk. GREEN / WHITE   radio, instrument cluster, or ecm    
The ECM (Engine Control Module) is in the front passenger fender.
TRUNK RELEASE see note   see note    
The valet lockout switch is located inside the glove box. Press the switch to ON to disable the use of the trunk and convertible top. The trunk cannot be opened except by using the key if the valet lockout is on. Press the switch to OFF to enable the use of the trunk and convertible top.
LEFT FRONT UP/DWN motor part of module   motor part of module    
RIGHT FRONT UP/DWN motor part of module   motor part of module    
SUNROOF OPEN/CLOSE lt. green - dk. blue + folding top switch    
These wires are for the power folding top. The ignition must be on for these wires to function. Use validity channels to control.
MEMORY SEAT 1 white + memory seat switch on seat    
MEMORY SEAT 2 purple + memory seat switch on seat    
RADIO 12V RED / white   radio harness    
RADIO GROUND BLACK/ white   radio harness    
RADIO SWITCH class 2 serial data   n/a    
RADIO ILLUMINATION class 2 serial data   n/a    
POWER ANTENNA white   radio harness    
Amp turn-on is Class 2 Serial Data
LEFT FRONT SPEAKER see notes +,- audio amplifier    
The audio amplifier is on the passenger floor board under the carpet. The LF midrange speaker wires are tan (+), yellow (-), and the LF woofer wires are tan (+), gray (-).
RIGHT FRONT SPEAKER see notes +,- audio amplifier    
LEFT REAR SPEAKER brown - yellow +,- audio amplifier    
RIGHT REAR SPEAKER dk. blue - lt. blue +,- audio amplifier    
ITEM NOTE INFOTECH #
Immobilizer The design of the keyless access with push button start system is to prevent vehicle theft by disabling the engine unless the correct key fob is present when attempting to start the vehicle. The system is similar in concept to the PASS-Key® III system. However, the key fob is considered to be the key. Directed has no module at present to interface with this system.    
Special Note This procedure would typically be used when adding a key fob when both the vehicle key and two known good fobs are present.
The vehicle must be OFF.
Open the rear compartment.
Have two known recognized key fobs with you and a new unrecognized key fob with you.
At the rear of the vehicle insert the vehicle key in the rear compartment lock cylinder located in the lower left and cycle the key 5 times within 5 seconds.
The drivers information center (DIC) will display a message: READY FOR FOB X (X = fob 2, 3, or 4).
Place the new unknown key fob in the glove box fob pocket with the buttons facing right.
A beep will occur and the DIC will display: READY FOR FOB X or MAX FOBS LEARNED.
If programming additional key fobs, repeat steps 5 and six, or press the OFF/ACC portion of the ignition switch to exit programming mode.
Doesn't look good man, I don't think I'd be attempting a remote starter in this vehicle
Shaughn Murley
Install Manager, Dealer Services
Visions Electronics
Red Deer, Alberta
csorb 
Posted: October 26, 2004 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged  
If the pushbutton that starts this car is a plain - or + pulse then it should be pretty easy. Once the car sees this button pressed it will take care of all ignition wires and starter on it's own.
extreme1 
Silver - Posts: 1,070
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2004 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, but get a starter to understand that, about all you can do is use an AUX output of an alarm to activate it.
BIGGEST problem will be having an active FOB in the car, it will enable anyone to open the doors without setting off the alarm.
Shaughn Murley
Install Manager, Dealer Services
Visions Electronics
Red Deer, Alberta
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic