icon

wiring dual voice coils specialty

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2004 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  
I have two dual 2 ohm speakers. I can wire them together for either a 2 ohm load or a 1/2 ohm load. Now i do this by paralleling the 2 speakers up (+ to +) and (- to -) then i combine the lines from both speakers (1+ with the 2+) and the (1- with the 2-). That should bring my ohm load down to 2. Is that right? I don't know. I know i can get either 2 or 1/2 but how do i wire them? In a series or parallel and what do i connect? Also, how do you wire up QUAD VOICE COILS to the highest ohm load and to the lowest (Give me an equation for all this). What ohm loads can i get out of 6 DVC 6 ohms, 4 ohms, and 2 ohms (6 subs of each)????

I know i'm asking for a miracle, hope someone can help me.
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 12, 2004 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  

wiring dual voice coils specialty - Last Post -- posted image.

For a two ohm load, the voice coils are wired in series.  Then the woofers are paralleled to the amp.

The first question was easy enough.  The second is a doozy...but you asked about quad coils and then asked about DVC... what do you have, exactly?

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2004 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  
I got both, but i'm curious about it all. Thanks for the diagram.
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 12, 2004 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  

I'll cover the DVC part, but I'll leave the quads alone because I've never dealt with those.  This is just for the six 6-ohm drivers, but the same rationale follows for other impedances.  To get the highest possible load, wire in series/series.  A wire from the pos on the amp goes to the first woofer, coil one pos.  Coil one neg goes to coil two pos, then coil two neg goes to the second woofer coil one pos.  And so on, until the last terminal goes back to the amp neg.

Everything is added up.  Each woofer has 12 ohms (coils in series), and there are 6 woofers in series.  12 X 6 = 72 ohms, the highest load.

2nd:  parallel/series:  Like the wiring shown in the top diagram here...NOTE:  the values of the voice coils and the number of woofers are different than your scenario.  Use these two following diagrams as indicators of wiring and nothing else.

The woofers are dual 6 ohm, so their value will be 3 ohms each (coils in parallel).  Wiring in series back to the amp is multiplying 3 (ohms) X 6 (woofers) = 24 ohms.

3rd:  series/parallel, like the diagram in option 2 above.  In this case the individual woofers would each be 12 ohms (coils in series), then when paralleled back to the amp you figure on dividing instead of multiplying.  So 12 (ohms) divided by 6 (woofers) = 2.  You would have a 2 ohm load.

4th:  parallel/parallel

Like this illustration, the coils are first wired in parallel.  Each woofer becomes a 3-ohm load.  You have 6 woofers (in parallel), so the math is:  3 (ohms) divided by 6 (woofers) = 0.5 ohms.

Those are all the possibilities, but you can see that only one...series/parallel...is actually feasable in this particular case.

http://www.sounddomain.com/shop/wooferwizard.pl

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard.asp

http://www.bcae1.com/srsparll.htm

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2004 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged  
So  is positive to negative series ? What does that do to the ohm load?

What does parallel ohm load do?

I think if you got 1 dual 4 ohms and you series it u get 2ohms, and if you parallel it you get eight... Equation is GOLDEN... thx
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2004 at 11:34 AM / IP Logged  

You have it backwards.  If you place the coils in series you get 8, in parallel you get 2. 

Think of it like water.  In series, all the water must flow through both coils (pipes) so the water must flow twice as far.  In parallel,  the water can flow through both pipes at the same time, so half goes through the first and half flows through the second.  Make sense?

Support the12volt.com
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2004 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  
Um... okay ... so the equation for final ohm load is  ohm/#of Woofers right? ANYONE KNOW HOW TO WIRE UP QUADS?
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2004 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  

The equation for parallel wiring is 1/Rtotal = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 etc ...  Thye equation for series wiring is Rtotal = R1 + R2 + R3 etc...

Quads are no different from any other speaker.  It's just that each speaker has four voice coils to include rather than one or two.  It is nothing special, you simply have to know Ohms Law.  Check out the info on the left side of this site, including the Series/Parallel calculator.

Support the12volt.com
tbirdman74 
Copper - Posts: 164
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2004 at 6:14 PM / IP Logged  

https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp#ser

https://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp#par

Links to woofer wiring calculators that will answer most of your questions

Doh!  I guess I missed the last sentence of the last post.  Sorry 'bout that. 

If it don't fit, Force it.
If it breaks, You needed a new one anyway!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic